Fishing/Spearfishing for WSB & YT [email protected] Santa Cruz & Santa Rosa islands

oceansprint

Apr 23, 2017
Pleasant Hill
Name
oceansprint
Boat
FlyLine
Hi, just moved my boat down to Ventura Harbor, to have some fun fishing and spearfishing at the Channel Islands for the Summer/Fall season. Made a couple of trips to Anacapa and South East end of Santa Cruz so far getting on some sheephead, opaleyes, calicos, and also spotting some YT and cudas, justy without making a proper shot. Also fished with rods overnight next to kelp with frozen squid for no takers.
Heading out to West side of SC and East side of SR this weekend looking for some WSB and YT, so looking for some general advice on areas to locate fish. I see guys fishing with live squid or bait in about 30-70' or even more shallow waters both day time and at night, making their own live squid at night. Any specific areas, ways, and techniques you guys can recommend for both fishing and catching bait? Also, any specific regs to look into when anchoring for the night at any specific coves or areas that have limitations if any? It looks like there is a Lighthouse pier on the Beechers Bay side, any chance of docking there?
I hear lot's of boats these days around, and fish is a bit harder to find, and it's generally hit or miss. We are mostly going to spearfish during the daylight from north east to south east side, so any general idea on some points on the map would be also appreciate if you guys are cool to share with out burning spots, thanks again & TL!

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Stay out of the MLPA's and avoid a fat ticket. Otherwise look for the squid spwaning areas to find fish

tsuribakagaijin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 19, 2006
Camarillo, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
Klamath Baja Bayrunner 19
Hi, just moved my boat down to Ventura Harbor, to have some fun fishing and spearfishing at the Channel Islands for the Summer/Fall season. Made a couple of trips to Anacapa and South East end of Santa Cruz so far getting on some sheephead, opaleyes, calicos, and also spotting some YT and cudas, justy without making a proper shot. Also fished with rods overnight next to kelp with frozen squid for no takers.
Heading out to West side of SC and East side of SR this weekend looking for some WSB and YT, so looking for some general advice on areas to locate fish. I see guys fishing with live squid or bait in about 30-70' or even more shallow waters both day time and at night, making their own live squid at night. Any specific areas, ways, and techniques you guys can recommend for both fishing and catching bait? Also, any specific regs to look into when anchoring for the night at any specific coves or areas that have limitations if any? It looks like there is a Lighthouse pier on the Beechers Bay side, any chance of docking there?
I hear lot's of boats these days around, and fish is a bit harder to find, and it's generally hit or miss. We are mostly going to spearfish during the daylight from north east to south east side, so any general idea on some points on the map would be also appreciate if you guys are cool to share with out burning spots, thanks again & TL!
The pier at Bechers is large and tall, not for docking up to. There is a good anchorage to the north of it, however if you are going to fish watch the MPA line as there is one nearby. You'll see other boats anchored there on the weekend.

As far as I can tell, supposed to blow in the afternoons this weekend, keep an eye on the weather. Don't think I'm making the run out to the islands this weekend.