karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
I had been checking the weather for two weeks. Last week we got blown out and I had to settle for a Sunday solo bug run with sketchy tides in SMB. They only crawled on the incoming tide for me but I took home dinner. This weekend Mikey had to work the weather was looking better so I was left to my own devices. The target species is rock fish. We can fish 600ft and I want to go and explore some new waters. It was a last day decision and I had no takers. I was a bit lazy, my club was doing a surf trip up north, I thought of going back to Prado where I got skunked last time but I would have to really get up early to make that work. So rock fish it is. Being lazy I was up at 6 and lunched at 8AM from Davies. There were lots of trailers in the lot and only one other late comer. He was not looking too good, he had launched his rig with the strap attached! My weather window was not great on Sat. I ran out at 18knts, it was a lot nicer than the last Sunday run, I could only run at 14knts then . I started fishing in 420 ft near some other boats. There were some big rollers out there but the wind was not bad. Two small rockies, one was returned. I did a few drifts in that area. I reduced my weight to 1.5lbs. It's not so much fun when the weight is over 2lbs. I keep moving out into deeper water. I read last weeks report on BD. I ended up moving out to 550ft and hit a spot where you dropped right into the fishes mouth! It comes up doubles. I do a short drift and repeat doubles, then a couple singles. I landed a 19" butt when a boat pushed me outsides of my drift. The wind was coming up at 12:00 and I was sending them back. I had to leave because all I was catching were reds! I moved to spot in 250ft, but the wind had me drifting at 2knts. I headed in with five nice reds, a chilly pepper, a salmon grouper, and an unknown rocky. Who is that guy on the end with dark sides? It's nice to catch Ventura class reds in your back yard boyz, welcome to Southern Ventura can't wait for the white sea bass to show at the outer rigs in about a month. So I take it southern jurassic park is somewhere outside the 150? Someone send me some numbers please. See ya on the water Boyz.

Sat Surf fising results.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Fishing 500ft deep is not too bad if you have the right tools for the job. If not you are going to hate to drop down and get robbed quick! Then u get no love while you debate if you should reel up to check your bait! That will keep the competition down for those deep fish. Add a couple of pounds of lead, and now we are having some reel fun! I have the tools.

Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Wow! Deep water hali...

I thought 60 fathoms was a lot of work. People on the half to 3/4 days looking for a nice relaxing day are usually in for a good surprise. Time to clock in and really get to work.

Great job!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Nice job Karl. The one on left looks like a salmon grouper. We’re you marking fish at 500 ft?

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Nice job Karl. The one on left looks like a salmon grouper. We’re you marking fish at 500 ft?
    It certainly has the color of a Boccaccio, but the body shape is throwing me off. They are usually more slender and have a different jaw shape much like the one on the far right.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    The one on the right is a Boccaccio, I think the dark one on the left is the Mexican. Yep the finder marks fish at 550', its a Garman. The fish looks like pepper on my screen just above the bottom So you better bring you glasses and take a close look. I also mark the clouds just off the bottom, but, I'm not sure what that is. The cloud may be about 70ft tall. The clouds might not bite, but the pepper does. Just blind dropping in deep water can be a bit of work

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If I caught the fish on the left up here in SE Alaska, I'd call it a Silver Gray rockfish. I'm not sure they are as far out as California. Not the best rockfish on the table but fine for fish tacos.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Nice Chili peppers and reds, Guaranteed that the other fish is a Seabastes Macdonaldi and it crossed the border Illegally without papers.

Upvote 0