Fishing South Padre island.

doccod

Mar 10, 2021
New Mexico (San Diego native for 40 years)
Name
Randy Rueckert
Boat Name
none
I'm going to be staying on South Padre island in early April. I'm going to bring some medium light (15lb) tackle with me. Are there good spots to fish from the shore there? I was also going to go on one of those group charter, as I can't really afford to spend 500.00 bucks on a private one. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat Name
17 starcraft
Surf fishing can be good along there. The jetties are probably the best shore bet. Redfish, sheepshead, pompano, sea trout, whiting, some others.

Upvote 0

akacaster

Eww! You smell like bait.
Oct 25, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Name
akacaster
Boat Name
none
It's the coast - there's tons of places. The surf alone on Padre Island is a great place to start. Little bit of shrimp or squid and you'll get bit. On the way, you'll drive by plenty of roadside places where folks are fishing; just stop and try. About 20 min north is Port Aransas. There are several operations that run both short and long head boat trips into the bay and offshore. Plug in a search for Deep Sea Headquarters, Dolphin Docks, and/or Fisherman's Wharf.

Reactions: doccod
Upvote 0

frijolito

Aug 10, 2020
washington
Name
kurt
Boat Name
yes
I spent a couple yrs there. good fishing. lots of areas to fish in the lower laguna. the jettys by the boat launch are good as was said about anywhere along the beach. on the hwy toward brownsville along the canal you can ask about gamon bridge, it comes into a restored estuary from the ship canal and can get really good. trout reds and snook, sometimes snapper too. live bait or plastics work just about everywhere. hopefully no red tide at the time. good luck cool area and yeah spring break made me wish i was 20.....no 30 yrs younger!! lol

Reactions: doccod
Upvote 0

doccod

Mar 10, 2021
New Mexico (San Diego native for 40 years)
Name
Randy Rueckert
Boat Name
none
It's the coast - there's tons of places. The surf alone on Padre Island is a great place to start. Little bit of shrimp or squid and you'll get bit. On the way, you'll drive by plenty of roadside places where folks are fishing; just stop and try. About 20 min north is Port Aransas. There are several operations that run both short and long head boat trips into the bay and offshore. Plug in a search for Deep Sea Headquarters, Dolphin Docks, and/or Fisherman's Wharf.
Thanks I'll try that!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0