Fishing SJDel Cabo Oct 26-28

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by HBar, Oct 30, 2018.

1. HBar

HBar Newbie

Name:
    Rich H
    Boat:
    none
    20181027_135130.jpg 20181028_113548.jpg 20181028_113548.jpg 20181028_125203.jpg
    1. 20181026_111156.jpg

kbray001 likes this.
  2. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Why did you not release the Marlin?

blowncar likes this.
  3. HBar

HBar Newbie

Name:
    Rich H
    Boat:
    none
    Despite the great offshore fishing in SD, 2018 has been disappointing for us!
    We missed the tarpon run in the Keys by a week; booked Rancho Leonero-had a great vacation, but was blown off the water; chartered a great sportboat for 14 buddies and missed the big bluefin by 2 days on either side of our charter.
    Finally, I called Cass at Cass tours. This was back in July. We were desperate to catch fish. After a pretty good Q&A with Cass, he suggested San Jose Del Cabo for what we wanted to do (Catch and Filet ONO!). Based on work schedules and such, we decided on 25-29 Oct with fishing 26, 27 and 28.
    Friday the 26th was bumpy, but tolerable on a cruiser. Lalo was the boss and Alejandro was the crew. Really great team! We headed north for about an hour and we put out the purple XRap, purple Yozuri Bonita, and a couple of horse balllyhoo. We trolled for hours in and out of the other 40 boats trolling this point. We fished hard, swapping out jigs for feathers, chuggers, jetheads, cedar plugs, and back. Just when we thought we were skunked and turned south for the barn, we got bit on the purple Rapala! beautiful 35-40# wahoo.
    Saturday we had the same boat and crew. This time, we headed out toward los arcos. 15 minutes heading south, we saw a BIG marlin tailing. We trolled by, with marlin jigs and ballyhoo, but the big fish sank out, never to be seen again! 5 minutes later, we are in a huge foamer of mixed YFT and skippies. No luck on the trolled bait or jigs, so Lalo called a bait panga for sardinas. A quick divert for bait, than back out looking for the tuna. We had a steady pick on YFT and skipjack that was pretty fun, until the F'ing sea dogs came and feasted on our fresh catch. Made a couple moves but couldn't shake 'em. We made some Chillywillys with the skipjack, So we tossed out the jigs and ballyhoo and trolled away from the schoolie tunas. Pressed North and saw a Tailing striper. Trolled by w/o look, and tossed a live bait at it. less than a 10 count, and we were on! My wife worked it! Once we were at leader, I presumed we'd release it, but the skipper and mate had marlin machaca on their minds, and killed it before I could protest.
    Sunday, we were on a super panga with Kobe. This dude can fish! We headed north toward Friday's parking lot... right into breaking YFT. we picked at these for a few hours... literally, as many as we wanted. We also found a school of Dorado, which hadn't been seen for a hot minute. He was stoked! We picked and had fun with these, keeping a couple for dinner, but releasing the rest. I told him we had enough YFT and told him we wanted to troll for wahoo. He was hesitant, but caved. I grabbed my Seeker with the purple rapala and he said, "No, ballyhoo". I told him "Y este!" So 3 ballyhoo and the Xrap 30. Less than 5 minutes, we see the YFT breaking the surface and he turns towards them. the spread had barely straightend behind the boat and we were on! Awesome fight with a blistering run! After a great fight, we head back with an awesome mixed bag!
    Truly EPIC trip.

Thanks CASS!

4. HBar

HBar Newbie

Name:
    Rich H
    Boat:
    none
    I expected to release it once we leader-ed it. The skipper had other ideas. He and the mate wanted to eat it. They gaffed it before I could stop them. I was focused on helping my wife as it was her first billfish