jig77

Almost A Member
Jun 18, 2012
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
Mako 20'
First off I wanted to say thank you to everyone that post their fishing reports. There are some guys on here that do an exceptional job and I really appreciate all the information. My writing skills suck but I’ll try my best to return the favor from all the helpful members.

Boarded the SD 5/23 with 25 anglers headed to fish the Coronado Islands. Captain and crew are legendary so I won’t go much into that, but they all did an amazing job. Bait was already loaded as usual when we boarded. Really nice user friendly sized sardines 5-7”. Crew recommended 2/0 sized hooks and 25lb line or surface iron for the yellows. We spent the day anchored on various spots around the islands. Most spots produced a few yellows, barracuda, calico and a couple XL sized Bonita. Yellows were caught mostly on the fly lined baits, some surface iron fish and I heard of some yo-yo fish too. There were probably 5 or so guys fishing the long rods all day and a handful plus bouncing back and forth from bait and jigs. Seemed like the guys that stuck with what they were most comfortable fishing did the best. I chose to fly line baits 99% of the time due to the congestion of long rods. I did well using a size 1/0 mustad J hook and a long 50’ top shot of 25lb floro to 40lb braid. I landed 4 out of 6 yellows hooked, a limit of calico and a few barracuda. 50/50 quick bites and long soaks with nose hooked sardines. Really fun fishing, lots of bites from barracuda and bass. Classic summertime anchor fishing at the Coronados. I fished a lot of baits, if they don’t swim the way I want them to I reel ‘em up and change them out. I can’t stress this enough about CHANGING YOUR BAIT!!!! I do what the crew says and it works. Don’t give a shitty bait your valuable time. I was using a calstar 800L with a Fathom 15 and felt this outfit was a little too light for island fishing, not enough balls too pull yellows in from the reef/kelp/seals. I believe we ended up with 30ish YT, 20ish barracuda, 20is calico, 2 Bonita and a couple handful or rockfish. Yellows were typical Coronado sized 8-16lbs. Hope this helps y’all prepare for your next trip.

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report. Hey...get yourself a Calstar 700M or MH...you'll use it likely 90% of the time. I have 2 M's and an MH in my quiver. Great rods for Yellowtail, 20-40lb tuna, WSB, etc, or rockfishing winter. Just my suggestion for more backbone and fun FYI. GL next trip.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Thanks for posting! :food-smil

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great report brother!! Not everyone is a HEMMINGWAY...lol.... you did great. Details... suggestions.... observations ...equipment used. .. success rate..... and a Boat review!! Your "nose to the grindstone" technique with the bait helped considerably...as you stated... good job.

Upvote 0

jig77

Almost A Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    huntington beach
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    Mako 20'
    Did the Fathom 15 not have enough balls? Or was it the rod?
    I’d say neither had enough balls. Rod didn’t have the backbone and the reel didn’t have the torque but it did cast those baits great. Next time I’m bringing a taller reel with a higher IPT and a sturdier rod meant for 30lb.

Upvote 0

fishin_kid

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    riverside
    Name
    David
    Boat
    nada
    Fathom definitely has the balls to pull in 8-16 lb yellows lol. You just have to pull like you’re fishing yellows around structure. Sounds like a fun trip.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

MrBob

Donde estan los peces
    Jun 28, 2020
    Yorba Linda
    Name
    Robert Slack
    Boat
    na
    Nice report.
    I'm on the Mission Belle this Friday. Hope the fish are still there and the weather cooperates!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0