Saltwater Fishing San Juan Island - Mid-March

PEEPLES72

Aug 19, 2009
Montana
Name
Flycaster
Boat
None
Going with the family in mid-March to San Juan Island. Any possibilities for kayak/small boat fishing for me and my kids. Salmon prob not a target since we'll be on kayaks and kids attention span is limited. Looked on the https://wdfw.wa.gov/ site to see regs, but not a lot of clarity there (or maybe I'm dense).
Catching anything would be fun though. If you have quick input, i'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll continue to call charter's etc...

Reactions: jiggermyster
Sep 2, 2009
SD
Name
Steve
Boat
Lund 16
Fished in kayaks with the kids a couple summers ago. Lots of action 0-20yds off the rocky shoreline. I think a little lazor minnow did best, but little plastics worked too. Also recalling might have crimped the barbs on the hooks. Kids really enjoyed an eagle diving on us until we could release the fish. Regs confusing for me too.

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Salmon is closed in the winter, not that you would be successful in a kayak.

Look into surf perch or kelp greenling. If you can find a sandy bottom then starry flounder or rock sole are easy to catch. Learn what a descender is and have it board.

Also, the water is cold enough to be fatal in March. Unless you have proper gear and know how to roll a kayak, you have a good chance of dying if you flip.

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
+1 to Salmon King's feedback, and as southernhemi points out you will need to be fishing with barbless hooks to be legal in the salt in WA.

If the goal is just "catch something in the salt" you should have some success even just casting from the beach. I would suggest looking at Eagle Point/Eagle Cove or Cattle Point, and I believe the docks in the marina at Friday Harbor are also open to fish, Expect to get sculpin, sand dabs, rock sole, greenling, potentially some surf perch... surf perch, sole and greenling are all good eating, sand dab is similar to sole, but sculpin you toss back (and be careful when you do, they have horns on them). I believe (but you should double check) that these species are open all year round.

Even on the beach you need to watch yourself... the wave action (especially on the west side of the island) can get pretty serious, any rocks are going to be slick and treacherous, and that water is pretty damned cold so be safe.

• Sad
Reactions: chati rules

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
Enjoy your trip to the San Juan's! It's beautiful scenery and townies are friendly. Others have posted some good safety tips about the waters. The marina areas are pretty protected though and would be a good kayak option with kids. As for fishing.. Enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
+1 to flounder fishing!

I love catching flounder- banana weight, #1 hook and chunks of herring will get you in the money. I'll frequently catch them in the 5# range with this setup. Sometimes it's hard to keep the dogfish off though. I'm not sure how thick they will be in March.

Keep Chargin'

Reactions: Tish

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
+1 to flounder fishing!

I love catching flounder- banana weight, #1 hook and chunks of herring will get you in the money. I'll frequently catch them in the 5# range with this setup. Sometimes it's hard to keep the dogfish off though. I'm not sure how thick they will be in March.

Keep Chargin'

Dogfish are a great idea for kids. Having a kid unhook one from a kayak might be challenging. I have even cooked one before when I took my boys scout troop out. The boys claimed it was not bad. I cleaned it immediately and rinsed in saltwater for a few minutes before frying in a lot of butter.

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Dogfish are a great idea for kids. Having a kid unhook one from a kayak might be challenging. I have even cooked one before when I took my boys scout troop out. The boys claimed it was not bad. I cleaned it immediately and rinsed in saltwater for a few minutes before frying in a lot of butter.
Good call, PEEPLES72 doesn't say how old his kids are but based on the "attention span is limited" comment I'm guessing younger. I bet a kid from Montana would be thrilled to pull up a SHARK! When I was a kid I would've gotten a lot of mileage from that story... I had to avoid the mouth filled with razor sharp teeth!

PEEPLES72

Aug 19, 2009
Montana
Name
Flycaster
Boat
None
Thanks for all the comments, appreciate it!
My kids are 10 and 11, so we should be in the right attention zone. I grew up kayak fishing in CA, so I am very well aware of the dangers/benefits to kayak fishing as well as the dangers of the ocean. :) Top priority, don't die, then catching fish.
Sounds like the kelp greenling and flounder/dabs would be perfect. We're staying near at Mosquito Bay/Mitchell Bay on the NW part of the island.
Thank you again for the guidance.

Reactions: Tish

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
You’ll probably be there and gone before I put the new boat in the water. If you get delayed, let me know. We can get you and the kids fishing greenling and sand dabs.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
You’ll probably be there and gone before I put the new boat in the water. If you get delayed, let me know. We can get you and the kids fishing greenling and sand dabs.

That’s an offer worth rescheduling your trip for! I’d jump at an open sand dab seat on Lawrence’s new cat. 😋

PEEPLES72

Aug 19, 2009
Montana
Name
Flycaster
Boat
None
A ride on an old cat would be amazing... :) Those are amazing. Thanks Lawrence (@wdlfbio ) I'm bring some light tackle gear and will post what we come up with. Been a year since I've been on the ocean.

RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Thanks for all the comments, appreciate it!
My kids are 10 and 11, so we should be in the right attention zone. I grew up kayak fishing in CA, so I am very well aware of the dangers/benefits to kayak fishing as well as the dangers of the ocean. :) Top priority, don't die, then catching fish.
Sounds like the kelp greenling and flounder/dabs would be perfect. We're staying near at Mosquito Bay/Mitchell Bay on the NW part of the island.
Thank you again for the guidance.

Weighted soft baits with a tail that flutters on the retrieve. The entrance to Mosquito bay has a few rock piles by the resort dock. We catch greenling just north of Roach

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
University Place Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
It was mentioned earlier in this string but please be sure that ALL of your barbs are pinched. Also, if you are fishing for bottom fish you must have a descender device on board ready to be used. Generally speaking you cannot fish for bottom fish in waters deeper than 120 feet (exception may be in effect during halibut openers). You cannot fish for, retain or possess rockfish in MA 7. Daily limits within MA 7 are set forth in the pamphlet or on line. Ling season doesn't open until 1 May.