Fishing Rod Too Stiff

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    Is there such a thing for fishing rods being too stiff? Everyone says that rods, fishing line weight and targeted species should match but I have not seen any real disadvantages of using stiffer rods. The reason I am asking is that I want to buy a rod that is rated for 130lb - 200lb and fish it below the rating sometimes with 60lb or 80lb lines because I can't afford to buy a rod for each line class.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    ... I want to buy a rod that is rated for 130lb+ and fish it below the rating sometimes with 60lb or 80lb lines because I can't afford to buy a rod for each line class.
    personally I would not deviate from (good) manufactures' line rating - find its sweet spot - fish it light or heavy from that spot depending on your needs

I too like a good bend and tend to fish my Calstars a bump down from max rating versus a bump up where others advise

My Calstar 760H Grafighter is rated 50-130lb
    it's my 100lb heavy (it has a nice bendo at 30lbs drag where I fish it on the rail) - some may say to much Bendo
    I wouldn't hesitate to fish it at 80 (24lbs drag)
    I would pick a lighter rod for 60 (18lbs drag) though the 760H would handle it and some may even prefer it

Last edited:
    Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    personally I would not deviate from (good) manufactures' line rating - find its sweet spot - fish it light or heavy from that spot depending on your needs

I too like a good bend and tend to fish my Calstars a bump down from max rating versus a bump up where others advise

My Calstar 760H Grafighter is rated 50-130lb
    it's my 100lb heavy (it has a nice bendo at 30lbs drag where I fish it on the rail)
    I wouldn't hesitate to fish it at 80 (24lbs drag)
    I would pick a lighter rod for 60 (18lbs drag) though the 760H would handle it and some may even prefer it
    Did you ever fish your 760H with 30lb or 40lb lines? If you did, anything odd? This is the answer I am looking for.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    It depends. It might not be a great live bait stick. For the weights you’re talking about, maybe a 50-100 or 60-130 gets you that crossover you’re seeking.

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Did you ever fish your 760H with 30lb or 40lb lines? If you did, anything odd? This is the answer I am looking for.
    no, I have more suited rods for 30-40 (and 60)

ps: CASTING 760 (6 ft rod) is a short rod for casting and the reels I use on it don't cast for sh*t anyway...I have longer rods for casting

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    I little extra bend can prevent the line from snapping when the fish is at the boat and makes a quick jerk, even with lighter drag bad things can happen as it takes a second to pull line. The rod tip is your shock absorber.

Reactions: kbray001 and clevel
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Read this recent posting for a similar-but-different discussion. Jamie @ Bob Sands Tackle talks in depth about the 7'6" UC Viper: "The 76 Viper, in my opinion, is the best combination of slightly softer tip blending into a powerful mid body and very powerful bottom section." Jamie says the 76 Viper can easily fish 80-Unlimited. See the whole discussion here if you like:

I have a 76 Viper, absolutely love it. Would have no qualms at all fishing it with 80, 100 or 130# leader. I suppose it would work for 60# but, as others have mentioned, I have other more stealthy sticks for this mission. Concerning going heavier, I have never gone heavier than 130# so I have no personal experience there. On my recent trip on Tomahawk I caught 3 Tuna on the Viper; 120, 125 and 185#; the 2 smaller fish were gaffed in less than 10 minutes, the 185 took almost 20 minutes. 28# of drag on the first run, 33# of drag in the middle, 40# of drag for the last 100'. The Viper could definitely go heavier if need be/never even close to bottomed out. As mentioned above, you cannot cast a small sardine very well with a heavy stick. You will also have more difficulty putting a good action on a small jig with a heavy stick.

To be more responsive to OP question, I have never fished my "Heavies" with light leader. Closest I came was using small hooks and 20# leader on my Tilefish Jr to catch schoolie-sized YFT. The stick got the job done but the fight was not much; the fish were over-matched; however, I did not suffer any pulled hooks or broken line (although I did straighten a #4 Owner fly-liner hook).

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    The bend in your rod helps fight and tire out the fish. The recoil of a bent rod helps you regain line. A flexible rods helps avoid pulled hooks. A higher rated rod will be heavier and more tiresome to fish. You're looking at a rod class that most people don't and won't own.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    JMHO,the rod does not have a brain,the angler if has fished for a time will learn how to make do for the trip.I have casted 6ft stiff rods with jigs and had to learn to let out more line.Casting a light bait on a stiff short rod you learn to underhand.ADAPT for the day.Tom

Upvote 0

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    Read this recent posting for a similar-but-different discussion. Jamie @ Bob Sands Tackle talks in depth about the 7'6" UC Viper: "The 76 Viper, in my opinion, is the best combination of slightly softer tip blending into a powerful mid body and very powerful bottom section." Jamie says the 76 Viper can easily fish 80-Unlimited. See the whole discussion here if you like:

I have a 76 Viper, absolutely love it. Would have no qualms at all fishing it with 80, 100 or 130# leader. I suppose it would work for 60# but, as others have mentioned, I have other more stealthy sticks for this mission. Concerning going heavier, I have never gone heavier than 130# so I have no personal experience there. On my recent trip on Tomahawk I caught 3 Tuna on the Viper; 120, 125 and 185#; the 2 smaller fish were gaffed in less than 10 minutes, the 185 took almost 20 minutes. 28# of drag on the first run, 33# of drag in the middle, 40# of drag for the last 100'. The Viper could definitely go heavier if need be/never even close to bottomed out. As mentioned above, you cannot cast a small sardine very well with a heavy stick. You will also have more difficulty putting a good action on a small jig with a heavy stick.

To be more responsive to OP question, I have never fished my "Heavies" with light leader. Closest I came was using small hooks and 20# leader on my Tilefish Jr to catch schoolie-sized YFT. The stick got the job done but the fight was not much; the fish were over-matched; however, I did not suffer any pulled hooks or broken line (although I did straighten a #4 Owner fly-liner hook).

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot. Your response is exactly what I was looking for.

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
    Jul 19, 2013
    Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Norm Campbell
    Boat
    UnBelievable
    You will really figure it put when you become chronologically gifted. New rods do allow us old guys to boat just as many if not more than the young stud bucks. By then you’ll have more coin and figure it out!! A 200 plus pound tuna will also help you get there. Get out soon while they are still here. May not return in your lifetime and that is for real. Also helps the wife understand just a lil better. Best of luck to you!

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    Thanks a lot. Your response is exactly what I was looking for.
    If you ask a question to enough people, argue your point long enough and search long enough on the internet, eventually you can find someone to give you the response your looking for...even though the other 98% will disagree unanimously.

Upvote 0

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    If you ask a question to enough people, argue your point long enough and search long enough on the internet, eventually you can find someone to give you the response your looking for...even though the other 98% will disagree unanimously.
    So are you saying that most people disagree with 2Rotten's comment? Why? I thought it made sense.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Me and the homies on a wfo calico bite.

tuna-maldives.jpg

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I don't have the answers. I still don't know what the real disadvantages that can't be mitigated are when using stiffer rods.
    Theirs not, Just personnel preference. Some people like to spend money and look cool by having a bunch of rods and reels.

Upvote 0