Fishing Report: SUPER crowded waianae 5/27

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by nekine, May 28, 2010.

1. nekine

nekine Newbie

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    chris craft seahawk 22'
    Howzit,
    Decided to try my luck again, got to aloha gas waianae at about 515 am, had about 6 boats already there and waited a good 30 minutes to fuel. Got to the harbor, choke boats all over and more coming in. Went to the washdown to warm up the engine, got it in the water about 630. Water was super glassy and nice kona winds. Tried to run the ledge but couple boats didnt let me in, so i waited until they passed and hit Pokai ledge around 730. Seen a nice mahi caught in the boat right in front of me, had about 25 other boats out there about 10 in one area outside of Kaena point. Decided to stay on the ledge all morning, at about 930 left rigger 9/0 goes off around kaena, let my friend reel em but he got tired so i had to take over. Good thing it wasnt massive cause my fingers would have been gone, left with a good sized slice. Tried to handline em in at the end n wrapped the line around my hand but it took off as soon as i had a grip. Shoulda used gloves was lucky and nice 30+ ono in the cooler. Circled around again and around yoks same 9/0 left rigger goes off, this time nice 20+ pound ono. Same lure, same pole, used a 9inch chrome jet head with a frog and pink colored skirt i just put together night before. Came back in around 12 with plenty of sashimi and good thing cause we beat the washdown crowd. Gonna try for ahis soon cause i heard they on the way in right about now.Hope its not always this crowded wasnt even the weekend. Good luck this weekend guys shoots.

Attached Files:

2. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Nice fish, you've been hitting it up steady, thats the way to gain experience. Wear the gloves, you can't get the fingers back, if it were an ahi or marlin it could get ugly. I'm going to try my luck tomorrow, good goin man.

3. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    That's the way to slay 'em! Nothing wrong with 2 Onos in the bag. Sounds like the Onos when take off yesterday....23 down at auction block this morning! I always wear gloves when leadering....lot of times no can tell what size the fish so mo beta to be safe.....then you can put the death wrap on da bugga.

4. drew2578

drew2578 Newbie

Name:
    Analu
    Boat:
    19ft.

Sound like da pink frog was da winna! Good Catch!

5. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Good going on the fish.

As for the pricks not letting you in, sometimes gotta play the game too & bulldog your way & sho em u not one punk they going wise up quick.

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Spencer,

Good goin on the no-nos; well as far as crowd welcome to Waianae when the fever has everyone taking their boats down to harbor all at the same time. Wait until guys are picking up in the blind on a regular basis; if you want to fuel up without a wait you better be down there by 4am (if not sooner). Sorry should have left you a pair of gloves on the boat; bad things can happen.

Good Luck and Be safe,
    Pat

7. rcvowell

rcvowell Newbie

Name:
    Ryan Vowell
    Boat:
    21', Grady White, Fawkes
    Nice lookin' razor mouths! Definitely keep some gloves in the rails or at the helm. Just made a frog with pink/red belly myself so am glad to hear the colors take action.

Will be wettin' my lures for the first time in a long time out of Waianae Monday morning.. hope all of you landing fish this weekend left a few for us!

As for boats getting not letting you in, it happens.. just out smart 'em, more fun that way! We have had some run our wake many times thinking we were on the fish, or new where they were.. no bites that day so it was fun to lead them on a goose chase! LOL My boat doesn't burn to much trolling with the little diesel so it made it bearable to toy with them.

Congrats again on the haul!

8. keenan

keenan Newbie

Name:
    sean keenan
    Boat:
    24, chaparrel, Blue Demon
    thanks for the heads up on the ono. Went the 28th and got 2 myself.

9. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Love the slipa for the size est.Nice work and thanks for the report.Doug