twinfin1000

TC Rods - Tradewind Creations
Jun 14, 2007
The South Bay
Name
Steven
Boat
MushiKaka
My father moved out to Houston last November and brought along his twin diesel robalo. The problem is that he can't fish. I've been fishing Southern California with neighbors and working cattle and six pack boats since I was a wee little pin head at the age of 11, and I have learned the fishery from the pelagics to the inshore species. Now that my father has moved and taken his boat with him I have to go and visit him and help him find the fish just like I did here in Los Angeles. I don't know the fishery too well but enough to know that it can be phenominal at certain times of the year. I need some help getting started and would appreciate any help that I can get. I would love to start out by fishing the black and yellow fins and the outer rigs. Could anybody give me any pointers and the locations of the more productive rigs that are in range of Freeport, TX and when the prime season is to target them. And can the amber jacks be targeted at the rigs as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

los is 7

Feb 20, 2006
H-TOWN
Name
Los Lara
Boat
9, Hodgeman wading boots, I'M A HO!
Send gostomskij a pm or email he'll hook you up

Upvote 0

Buzzard Bill

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Name
Bill
Boat
28' Panga called "My Seafari"
Welcome to TX. I also recommend joining the 2Coolfishing.com board. Lots of great folks there that will share local info. Fishing rigs and reefs is usually productive but the TX shrimping season starts July 15 and if you can find a shrimper anchored up / or culling in 150-300 ft of water (60-80miles off of Freeport) you will be able to catch many blackfin and maybe yft, as well as most other species. Good luck.

Bill

Upvote 0

StillinScrubs

Wahoo love me
Aug 30, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami
Name
Scott
Boat
Charon's skiff
I second the 2coolfishing. Not on the par with BD, but good stuff.

Extremecoast might have some people who can help too, but spotty at best. Most guys there are shore shark fisherman.

Scrubs

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Way 2 far from the ocean
Mar 10, 2006
Santa Fe, NM
Name
David Ewers
Boat
19' Proline CC - High and Dry -- 17' Keywest CC
Also try texasfishingforum.com

Fishing off the texas coast line is hell alot different than fishing off of Redondo or going to Catalina. Getting any depth is a long drive. Start looking at wade fishing for Reds or specs. You'll love it.

Upvote 0

Buzzard Bill

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Name
Bill
Boat
Also try texasfishingforum.com

Fishing off the texas coast line is hell alot different than fishing off of Redondo or going to Catalina. Getting any depth is a long drive. Start looking at wade fishing for Reds or specs. You'll love it.

Don't know the definition of "long drive" in SoCal, but in central TX it varies depending on time of year and species you're targeting. Red drum and speckled trout can be caught in the surf or around jetties almost year round. Red snapper can be found nearshore in the December - April months, within 9 miles. King mackeral, ling (cobia), and dolphin can all be had within 9-15 miles in late July-August on blue water days. Wahoo, amberjack, grouper, billfish and tuna all require what we consider a "long drive" 40+ miles out of the central TX coast during the summer months. Just take your beanbags, ipod and some cold ones and the drive is not so bad . . .

Upvote 0

mrbill

Jul 10, 2006
Texas
Name
mr bill
Boat
yes, I have one
Be prepared to get the living crap slapped out of you by the Gulf. It has been very rough the last two years. If you averaged it out it would be 6 footers year round. It's easy to find yourself in 14 footers durning the winter when fronts arrive at the floating rigs.

Upvote 0

Richard Cranium

Bleached Starfish...
Oct 14, 2004
H.B.
Name
Pace , ペース様
Boat
Ez Go golf cart
Search for capt Leaf Potter. He is the shit and has mucho #'s for epic fishing...

Upvote 0

welder

Plate Alloy or die
Mar 31, 2007
Whitesboro , Texas
www.aluminumalloyboats.com
Name
Lester Roberts
Boat
23 Pacific Skintback
I grew up in So. Cal. and now fish the gulf of Mexico [ GOM ] and ya better get ready for some sloppy shit , the water here moves two ways at the same time and 3 to 4's here can beat the hell out of ya as there 2 to 4 seconds apart.
I stay close when there 2 to 3's till i can see what there doing also this time of year the thunder storms pop up right quick and in a hurry , PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings .
100' of water shows up about 20 miles out , 30 miles out and it starts dropping a little deeper. 40 to 50 out and your in there with good peligics [spl].
When y'all get to Texas give us a holler on 2coolfishing.com

Lester

Upvote 0

Buzzard Bill

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Name
Bill
Boat
Be prepared to get the living crap slapped out of you by the Gulf. It has been very rough the last two years. If you averaged it out it would be 6 footers year round. It's easy to find yourself in 14 footers durning the winter when fronts arrive at the floating rigs.

Not so bad if you're in the right boat. My 30' panga eats those 2-3 wind waves for breakfast.

Buzzard Bill

Aventura (9) (Small).jpg

Upvote 0

mrbill

Jul 10, 2006
Texas
Name
mr bill
Boat
yes, I have one
Buzzard Bill,

Your panga looks like a nice boat. Do you ever fish in 10-12s in the boat. I was in a bertram and we buried the bow two times last week. You might be fine in 3-4s but 6-8s at 25 knots tends to loosen your teeth. I haven't been in anything less than 6 footers in two years. Like I said, the GOM is a rough SOB. Not for the timid.

Upvote 0

Cool Change

Nov 22, 2006
Texas
Name
Tim
Boat
Cool Change
Twin diesel Robalo? You should be looking at going to the floaters in fall and winter for your Yellowfin and Blackfin, the closer rigs, rips, and weed the rest of the year for ling, mahi, aj, king, and snapper. It CAN be rough but on NICE days, it's as nice as can be, we run up to 50 miles out in a small boat, just have to pick our days. Definately need to go to 2CoolFishing and hang out and ask questions. Welcome to Texas!!

Upvote 0

Guzzler-1

What The H___ Been Going on Around Here?
Feb 11, 2003
N. Escondido
Name
Michael
Boat
25 ft SkipJack - SportFisher
Steve

As you can see Texan's will offer you nothing but hospitality . Great State the Weather just bites the Bullet though . If Your Pop's around Houston he's a stones throw from anything you want . I'll tell you right now your gonna want to get a flats boat to fish the inner Coastal Channel that goes all the way to Mexico . I was in Houston working for 2 months ( April/May) . I loved it except for the weather and we had great weather while we were there . There's also a Sports Radio Staion in Houston that has a fishing Talk show I Believe Thurs thru Sunday from 4 to 7 . It's way cool . I foreget who the Host is but He's a Good-Ol-Boy ......... What a Kick in the Pants . I think it is 590 AM ..........

I'm Glad All you Texans Chimed in . Now I got me some Fishing Websites in Texas . See you there ...... We'll Probably be going back to La Porte , Texas in the Fall.

Have fun back there ................

Michael

Upvote 0

twinfin1000

TC Rods - Tradewind Creations
Jun 14, 2007
The South Bay
Name
Steven
Boat
MushiKaka
Thanks for all the help guys. My dad has been getting the boat ready for my trip out there scheduled for the middle of August. I've been getting tackle ready for the trip and I was wondering what methods are used to target the tuna. Are tuna trolled for and typically what type of lures? I understand how to chunk for the tuna at night, but is it also done during the day, and how are they targeted behind the shrimp boats?

Upvote 0

Red Tuna

Aug 1, 2007
Houston
Name
Austin
Boat
None
The fishing show is on 610am....Fridays and Saturdays 4-7am and on Sundays 4-8am. When you're heading down to the coast from Houston early in the morning on the weekend, you have to tune in!

I go fishing out of freeport, TX all the time, but I'm always riding along so I don't really have any info on specific locations. Make sure you get some GPS coordinates of good spots that are not marked. The marked spots (to the naked eye), meaning oil rigs, get tons of pressure, unless they are more than 40 miles offshore. I've found that the key is to find a nice rockpile or wreck offshore that not everyone knows about. Most boats in TX tend to just head for the nearest rig...

I have only taken one trip to target tuna, and that was last December. We went 100 miles offshore...I'm pretty sure you have to go that far to really get into the tuna. We caught two yellowfin at 75 and 150 lbs, and about 20 blackfin at 10-20 lbs. It was an overnight trip...the ride was about 6 hours. We fished from sundown to sunup...apparently that is the best time (but I am by no means an expert...not even close). We were using diamond jigs...fished maybe 100-200 feet down. The plan, according to our captain, was to use the diamond jigs for blackfin, then use topwaters for the larger yellowfin as soon as they surfaced. But that never happened...however we did catch the 2 yellowfin on the diamond jigs.

Other than that tuna trip, I have only caught 2 tuna, and those were random blackfin caught while targeting kingfish 50 miles or so out. My suggestion would be to consider going after some other species first. Our bread-and-butter species are kingfish (king mackerel), red snapper, cobia/ling, and dorado. Taking a trip 30-50 miles out can yield some good catches, if you can find some structure like I mentioned, or a nice weedline. And of course shrimp boats are a great way to catch kingfish, sharks, bonito, etc. I have never hit a shrimp boat more than 30 miles offshore, so I'm not sure about tuna fishing.

The gulf can get rough, but in late summer, we have great days more often than not. 2-3 foot seas are the norm this time of year.

Anyway, we have great fishing but you have to be willing to take a long trip, as everyone else has said. In general, the further you go, the better, because most people stop at 15-30 miles and the fishing pressure is pretty high on the closer-in areas.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Buzzard Bill

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Name
Bill
Boat
Buzzard Bill,

Your panga looks like a nice boat. Do you ever fish in 10-12s in the boat. I was in a bertram and we buried the bow two times last week. You might be fine in 3-4s but 6-8s at 25 knots tends to loosen your teeth. I haven't been in anything less than 6 footers in two years. Like I said, the GOM is a rough SOB. Not for the timid.

mrbill - nope, haven't been out in 10-12's and don't plan on doing that on purpose either. I pick my days and so far in 2007 I've been out past 40 miles offshore a total of 7 times, most of those since June, and all those trips out of Freeport. Average wave heights on those trips was 2-4' at 4-6 second intervals. Biggest seas were 4-6'. Depending on swell heights and size/direction of wind waves I can usually bridge the 2-4's and make 26-30 knots into headseas and not slam anyone around. WOT on this boat is 40 knots but I don't usually run near that because of all the cr*p we've got floating in the GOM from the river run off. Also, like Welder said, you've got to pay close attention to the t-storms and move before they catch you. Satellite weather is almost a "must" if you want to go out past 30-40 miles or overnight and feel confident that you can move when necessary. Running the GOM definitely challenges one to improve their boat handling, navigation and weather prediction skills - but we love it here because the fishery is so good.

DSC01409 (Small).JPG DSC00751 (Small).JPG DSC00767 (Small).JPG

Upvote 0