PENN

tekguy

Jul 20, 2007
southern california
Name
mike
Boat
none
Rent rod and reel at the landing. buy a tackle pack for a few dollars. Buy a small pack off 2/0 hooks. Buy 1 blue and white salad 6xjr at the landing. Then when you get bit say hookup. When u can see the fish in the water, say color. Repeat. Then drink a beer or 5

Upvote 0

sand junky

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2007
oceanside
Name
sand junky
Boat
17' Pro-Line cc
this is my first time fishing. i was wondering what should i have with me. rods/reels setup, hooks, lures, jig etc. i hope to get a yellowtail.

:eek:

take lots of cash... take seasick meds... rent tackle, get help from deckhand and tip well (even if you don't score a yellowtail)

... and have fun

sd is a great boat with excellent capt and crew.

good luck

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    1. 40lb yo-yo rig.
    2. 30-40lb casting rig for irons.
    3. 25-30lb fly-line rig (#2 from above could do double duty).
    4. 15-20lb fly-line rig (for smaller baits and/or if the YT are refusing the heavier lined bigger baits)
    5. Fluoro leader for #2 and #3 above
    6. 1/4 and 3/8 oz egg sinkers to force fly-lined baits to go a little deeper than w/o sinker.
    7. 1/0-2/0 live bait hooks
    8. 2/0-3/0 circle hooks (optional)
    9. call landing for iron colors that have been working (usually blue/white, scramble egg)

George or Renee will get you set up once onboard.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    1. 40lb yo-yo rig.
    2. 30-40lb casting rig for irons.
    3. 25-30lb fly-line rig (#2 from above could do double duty).
    4. 15-20lb fly-line rig (for smaller baits and/or if the YT are refusing the heavier lined bigger baits)
    5. Fluoro leader for #2 and #3 above
    6. 1/4 and 3/8 oz egg sinkers to force fly-lined baits to go a little deeper than w/o sinker.
    7. 1/0-2/0 live bait hooks
    8. 2/0-3/0 circle hooks (optional)
    9. call landing for iron colors that have been working (usually blue/white, scramble egg)

George or Renee will get you set up once onboard.
    He's going on a 3/4 day not a 3 day

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    1 rod--switch terminal tackle configuration as the captain calls it. Deckhands get to your rod in turn.

3-4 rods already set up with different--no waiting. Captain says Yo-yo or flyline, ready to go with either, and can switch between with no need to re-tie.

Been on 3/4 trips in the past where only one rod gets used, and been on others where all three or four setups get used. The Malihini's May 6th trip two weeks ago was the latter situation.

I have all the gear, why hold back?

If vuanhquoc has access to a similar quiver of setups, better to have and not use.

Upvote 0

tekguy

Jul 20, 2007
    southern california
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    none
    For fishing the islands you need 1 jig. A yoyo jig. 6xjr size. Blue and white will work if you are renting gear it will be a jigmaster with 30 pound line. Ask the deckhand for a small piece of 40 pound line. Tie it on as a leader. Tie on The jig. Drop down, reel in, repeat.

If you loose the jig, tie on a hook and fish bait.

I love the guy who shows up with a bag full of unused tackle with 65 custom painted jigs, 6 rods, and shimano boots. He only uses one rod the entire trip with a yoyo jig. And the deckhand washes the deck and he complains that he is getting his socks wet because his 100$ custom (crocs)boots are only ankle high.

Fish with what you have and have fun

Upvote 0

NorthShore41

Jul 19, 2010
    Mo Town, CA
    Rent tackle, buy tackle bag, buy a coupld jigs for yellowtail (ask the guy in the tackle shop). Tell the deck hand you have no idea what the hell you are doing (even though you probably have a good idea) and that will help you get set up. On my first 5 day I told the deck hands I had no idea what the hell I was doing and please don't let me do anything stupid, you would be surprised how much help that gets you

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    Tell the deck hand you have no idea what the hell you are doing ... and please don't let me do anything stupid, you would be surprised how much help that gets you

X2. When offered, sign up for the jackpot, look the deckhand straight in the eye and tell him if you win, it's all his! Garanteed he'll keep you fishing!! :hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

Upvote 0