Fishing La Jolla Shores...

May 11, 2020
La Jolla, CA
Name
Neil
Boat
I Wish
Hey All,

I’ve been seeing people launching kayaks from La Jolla Shores, so I’m guessing that’s an approved activity nowadays or they’re turning a blind eye. Anyone know how the fishing has been? Haven't had a chance to talk to anyone coming off the water.

Also, a quick plea for help... As a young and dumb high schooler, I bought a fishing kayak for my visits to La Jolla. I took it out probably two dozen times in the last 10 years but never took the time to learn what the hell I was doing. I grew up doing a lot of fishing, but predominantly freshwater, and just figured some of my general skills would translate and I'd be fine. (Wrong) So as you may have guessed, I've never had a ton of luck, and definitely never properly utilized the equipment that was available to me. (ie. had a fish finder, never learned how to use it) I've caught fish, but now that I'm older (and wiser), I'm interested in learning more about how to do things right. So if anyone has any guidance on how to go about making the most of my time (I'm living here indefinitely until the coronavirus stuff sorts itself out), I'm all ears. I could use guidance on what gear to fish, how to rig it, how to fish it, what to fish for, where to fish... literally, I'll soak up any knowledge people are willing to share.

Either way, thanks in advance and hope everyone is well.

Reactions: pacificscout

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I second BWE!
La Jolla is a no bad days kinda place if you know what you are doing!
DarkKnight does guided trips, and you will learn more than you could ever imagine from him.

Uncle_Tomas

Jul 25, 2018
Laguna Niguel
Name
Uncle Tomas
Boat
Not yet
Bigwatersedge forum is great source of info. Definitely use search as there are some good older posts.
To fish LJ you want to have fish finder ideally with GPS to save your waypoints and to make sure you are not fishing inside MLPA. Fish finder will allow you to find bait (bait balls) so you can troll for Yellowtail or to identify structure If you want to fish for rockfish at the bottom. Unless you want to fish for bass around kelp which is easy to find.
As far as gear you could get by with just one 40lb set up. You can troll mackerel for Yellows and also use it as dropper loop set up for rock fish. You can also tie on sabiki rig to catch bait at the beginning. Obviously having two or three rods gives you ability to have various lures ready to go. For example dedicated YoYo set up with heavy jig is always good to have. But you don’t need anything fancy.
Good luck!

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Do you mean Josh aka TheDarkhorse, as I remember, was the one doing guided trips so as Kevin aka TheKid aka Sea Samurai. Both are the top notch kayak fisherman.
Yes exactly... Damn I'm getting old.

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I second BWE!
La Jolla is a no bad days kinda place if you know what you are doing!
Correction...Darkhorse does guided trips, and you will learn more than you could ever imagine from him.