Fishing kayak recommendations

LoraMoser

Feb 18, 2020
USA
Name
Lora
Boat
No
I’m looking to trade in my Wenonah Backwater 15 canoe for a shorter, lighter, affordable kayak. I traded my Ford Focus with crossbars in for a Ford Transit Connect and don’t want to hoof a canoe to the roof any longer. I can get my canoe inside the van though it sticks out the back 5′. However it takes up all the interior. The canoe is also too hard to paddle solo with my shoulder problems and I have been caught downstream too often with a dying trolling motor battery because I stay out too long. My thought is a 10′ kayak would fit completely inside my van but anything under 15′ would be ok for short fishing trips. I just want to get on the water. Being able to get just a few boating docks from any access point would keep me happy. I’ve had canoes most my life and never handled a kayak. Any suggestions for something that’s easy to handle, has stability for fishing and affordable? Any thoughts/experience about models represented in this guide?
Thank you.

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Like anything you get what you pay for. Short kayaks under 12 ft tend to not hold course as well kayaks are not all light. My outback is an awkward 100lbs I guess. Hobbies are good for shoulders because the paddle is a backup, and leave your hands free to fish. If you buy used 2008 or newer only due to unrepairable crack issues. Sit inside kayaks are very tippy typically. And less fishy. OEX can let you extensively test anything they sell. Good luck