Fishing jobs for a teen?

Dec 17, 2016
Seal Beach, CA, USA
Name
Dylan Hameister
Boat
The one with blood on the deck
Im 16 looking for a fishing related jobs . Love fishing and trying to make some money doing it. Any suggestions appreciated. If anybody knows of some work I can do let me know! Im a hard worker

Last edited:

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Bait barge, washing boats, cleaning boat hulls, deck hand, servicing reels, bait and tackle shops, you're too young to Captain (and need a reliable boat), YouTube celebrity (need lots of followers and sponsors), pro fisherman (years of dedication and need a boat), etc.

Reactions: surfgoose

joe pimentel

805 local
Dec 27, 2010
pismo beach, ca. U.S.A.
Name
Joe P.
Boat
The Pacific Mistress
Deck hand can be fun at times ( been there done that in my younger days galley cook too) always work to do on a boat. Can you cook and clean fish if so you should fit in. I remember making breakfast burritos and praying I would not get sea sick while cooking... barfOh ya the good old days... Good luck to you and all your endeavors.:High_Five most kids don't want to work these days.:Burp: Gas money... 16 is a good age enjoy life :Pillow_Fiand don't work to hard. :Pogo_Stic

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
If you want to work on one of the boats, I suggest you go down to the dock and get to know some of the captains. Volunteer to help load and unload, clean, etc. Get to be known as a hard worker. And ask if there are any jobs. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Good luck.

RodRage

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I know a kid that works at the Long Beach fuel dock part time he’s done it for three or four years he’s now in 19 and moved on but he was able to ride along with the vessel assist guys and he met a lot of Fisherman working there that he was able to get on their boats, you might want to stop by there they may be looking for some part-time help, good luck !

Ryan_Thomas

Mar 14, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
¥
Boat
Boston Whaler
I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to work on a commercial / charter boat but you can do the fuel dock. Getting paid to go fishing isn't as easy as it sounds...

C.Bergs

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
Dylan, I'm not going to tell you not to get a job on a boat or dock, but here's what I know: I've known a bunch of guys growing up that started as pinheads and moved on to become deckhands and captains. No doubt they are passionate about fishing and are absolutely the most hardcore fishermen I know. That experience and expertise comes at a cost, and that cost is one's time. They work to no end, sleep very little, rarely see family and friends, and don't make much money. All of us on BD have a lot of respect for deckhands and captains and what they do to put us on fish and fuel our passion for fishing. But I think your time is much better spent getting the best education you can, getting a good internship, land a job in an industry that makes some money, then go fishing on your own boat or whatever boat you want.

whammy

Hook Up!
Dec 18, 2005
Huntington Beach
Name
Chris
Boat
2200 XL Pathfinder
i had a great time part timing at a tackle store while I was getting my degree in college. Great learning experience and got to play with tackle I couldn't afford and talking to some real nice customers I still fish with. Like the others say though, keep it part time and stick with getting and education or learning a trade that way you have the economic flexibility to go fishing without having to for money. Fishing is a tough business to make money in.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Go onto youtube, search for "Mommas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" and play it ten times. It absolutely applies to fishermen of all sorts. And 99% of professional athletes, from team sports to individualists like pro surfers.

You are 16. Keep holding on to the passion about fishing, but get an education and come at it from an angle. Maybe a DFW biologist or warden, maybe fish aquaculture, all studies that involve ocean currents and temperatures and weather. Work at something that you will enjoy learning about, go home to dinner with the wife and kids pretty regularly. The absolute freedom of action that comes with fishing for a living also takes an incredibly high toll on relationships.

ssrmr2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2006
Cypress
Name
STEVE
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
there is a lot of good info here.

go down to one of the boats and offer help if anything is needed. trash, galley loading, heads, etc. you will have to work your way up. visit and keep helping. ask if you can pin. once pinning enjoy the company of the people and keep working and not fishing or hook and hand. you will be surprised how far that goes. deckhands don’t typically fish they help customers. I was lucky enough to earn my way on a LR boat and worked thru college. very fun times, and agonizing too! hard work and a good attitude.

good luck

Reactions: RichG and RodRage

BobbyAgate

Apr 2, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Adam
Boat
Not yet
anthony hsieh, ceo of loan depot and owner of the BAD COMPANY started out as a deckhand on the thunderbird...

Kinda like he said. Go with your gut. My life has been a learning experience. And I personally believe we are all just here to learn and teach. Life is full of surprises. My life experiences have seemed to prepare me for what ever I'll encounter in the next chapter of my life. I knever really know where it will take me. For better or for worse it always works out.

Some people, like myself, will have multiple careers over their lifetime. That's ok. We are all on a different path in life. All these guys on here have great advice. All these guys have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. They just want to see you succeed. On the other hand, sometimes you need to figure out what's good for you.

I was a stubborn 16 y/o and am still learning about life. Life needs to be experienced. You will understand why these guys say to go to school if you're struggling to pay your rent every month. Flip side to the same coin is that you can't chase other people's dreams. Don't try to keep up with the Jones's. Follow your gut and do what gets you out of bed and keeps you healthy.

RodRage

Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman

Kinda like he said. Go with your gut. My life has been a learning experience. And I personally believe we are all just here to learn and teach. Life is full of surprises. My life experiences have seemed to prepare me for what ever I'll encounter in the next chapter of my life. I knever really know where it will take me. For better or for worse it always works out.

Some people, like myself, will have multiple careers over their lifetime. That's ok. We are all on a different path in life. All these guys on here have great advice. All these guys have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. They just want to see you succeed. On the other hand, sometimes you need to figure out what's good for you.

I was a stubborn 16 y/o and am still learning about life. Life needs to be experienced. You will understand why these guys say to go to school if you're struggling to pay your rent every month. Flip side to the same coin is that you can't chase other people's dreams. Don't try to keep up with the Jones's. Follow your gut and do what gets you out of bed and keeps you healthy.

InDeepShip

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2017
Ventura
Name
Adam
Boat
In My Dreams
Also look at a maritime college if you love being on the water. If you have any questions PM me

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
First off, if you read everything above, good for you. It shows you have an attention span which most 16 years old (up to my age as well) do not. There’s a lot of good advice in this thread that I gained from as well. I’m not much older than you in the grand scheme. I’m 27 now and had my first job at Anglers Center when I was 13 in middle school and had an absolute blast working there. I was introduced to a bunch of great people and got to ride on a bunch of great boats including Barrett at Mag Bay Yachts (look up his threads on here, great stuff). But I luckily chased down other avenues of passions and went to school and now work a dream job that has afforded me a very very modest boat that I can go fish all the time and do what I love for exactly what it is, a hobby.

Reactions: RodRage

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Jesus. The kid just wants to work on a boat, not drop out of school and sail the high seas.

Go down to the docks and talk to the landings, captains, and boat owners. You will enjoy it for a while, but don't do it to fish, because you are there to work, not play. :)