Fishing Iron with straight spectra

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
Spectra to a few feet of fluoro, yes. Spectra straight tied to jig, no. It’s not about them being able to see the spectra, but when the fish chokes the jig, or the tail hits the line, I’d rather have the abrasion resistance of fluoro than spectra.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I caught a 26 lbs yellowtail at Catalina with #65 braid tied directly to a salas 4x with a single hook, the hook had started to straighten when we gaffed the fish.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I tried it with poppers and lost some from abrasion from tails of fish.Put a mono top shot and never lost one.For the iron I use enough mono that I cant cast off.Hate the feel and sound of the knot going across my thumb and through the guides.Tom

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I backlash every so often and with straight braid or short (3') topshot on my jigstick, I have lost nice irons...I lost 4 in one day in La Jolla.

Now I keep 75-100 yards of mono on top. The stretch of mono is very forgiving.

20190305_0802281.jpg

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Backlash braid on a hard cast and it will typically break at 1 of 2 places, assuming you can actually tie a connection knot worth a damn and there were no significant defects in the braid prior to the casting anomaly.

1) Tied straight to the jig or with lighter fluoro (maybe 50 lb or less, depends on weight and density of the jig) and it will probably part at the knot

2) With heavier fluoro the break will likely happen right at the With bigger poppers/irons/etc. and heavy line this isn't that uncommon and why you really want at least 100lb braid for that application. I learned this the hard way and Jamie shook his head at me the whole way through it.

Sparing all the physics and what not for the time being, if you want to fish straight braid for general purpose surface iron duty you're probably best off using 100-130lb solid. That'll also give you a bit of abrasion resistance against fins, etc.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    Fishing around heavy kelp for YT, we use about a 6-9' piece of #40 mono. Cuts the kelp if you hook one. Offshore I like a lot of mono, casts further and less risk of the dreaded backlash stop in mid air line break watch your jig go sailing situation.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Depends on the reel.

Baitcaster with spool tension and mag: 50-65lb braid to a 4' 60lb fluoro.

Conventional: 50-65lb braid with 100-150 yds 40-50lb mono on top.

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    Personally I like using a short top shot with whatever i got available ( mono or florocarbin )

I have had a lot of bad luck using straight spectra, and I still don’t know why
    So now I use a short top shop

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Anyone tie their irons straight to spectra with no leader??? Being a reaction bite with iron figure it could work.
    I fished with Benny Florentino and used his Tranx 500 on Teramar jig sticks. I think they were set up with 80lb Maxcuatro and a very short top shot of 60 or 50lb mono. The mono was just long enough to be a little short of the level wind device on the reel and hang the jig the correct distance for casting. He used this set up to cast a Tady 45 into or around the kelp and not lose jigs. It felt a little strange at first but actually worked very well. I have the same setup now.

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    My buddy for some reason always fishes straight braid to irons. Gets bit and lands fish for sure no problems. And he’s using a talica 12 for this a lot of times on a long rod. I always thought this was a very interesting approach but it works for him.

Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Hobie kayak
    Years ago I switched to mono topshots approximating the length of my cast, like most of the guys here. This year, I am bringing a couple of reels with straight PowerPro SuperSlick, which gives me extra distance. I am prepared to switch back to mono quickly if it all goes to hell. It will then take me a few years to forget the nightmare of spectra backlashes, and the cycle will repeat itself.

Reactions: boilonthebow
    Upvote 0

Latest posts