Fishing in South Lake Tahoe area any good?

Hungone

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Going to South Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and I’m wondering how the fishing is around that area. is it worth towing my whaler, or should I fish from shore???

Lake or stream fishing

Any info is much appreciated.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Lake is beautiful and trolling for Lake Trout is fun.
You can jig for them if deep.
If you can trailer easily, I would.
Have fun.
Good charter captains also.
Picture from winter but you can catch them in warmer weather.

DSCN3453.JPG

Reactions: Hungone

duckdog

Arise Kill & Eat
Mar 16, 2007
clovis
Name
matt
Boat
1648 War Eagle
You won’t regret having a boat on Tahoe. This is a quaggla mussel inspection lake so be prepared.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I chartered a guy who is/was a local schoolteacher,cant remember his name for the life of me but he got us into the lakers and it was a great trip.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
X2 on the charter service. The lake is big, clear and deep. The first time I fished Tahoe I thought I had schooled myself enough to makes some scores. I used downriggers, flashers, dodgers, leadcore and live shad over 4 days to get 1 fish. I even mimicked the charter services from a respectable distance only to watch them keep nailing the fish while I wondered what I was doing wrong. We did kill the bass living in the Tahoe Keys though. It's great to have a boat on big lake like Tahoe, I never used more than 4-5 gallons of fuel on most local lakes during a one day trip, but used about 60 gallons over those 4 days there.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I chartered a boat on the north shore one summer. Lake trout on downrigger.

It was basically a meat harvest as the fish floated to the boat after a minute of reeling in.

If you can get them shallow it would be fun. Else....I'd rather go rafting or mtn biking.

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
The mussel inspection is not bad but make sure not even one drop of water is in your bilge or you will be turned down. Bring a minnow trap put about handful of dry dog food in it. put a 12' to 20' cord on trap and place a float on the other end of the cord ( I use one of my bummers on the boat) Throw trap near rocks close to shore. The launch at Cave Rock has very nice ramp and parking and lots of big rocks used as a barrier to protect parking area. I usually pull into the lot and the first thing I do is fill my minnow trap and walk to the breakwater and throw it out about 15 to 20'. By the time I launch my boat and park the trailer I usually have a couple of dozen Redside minnows in the trap. I use the minnow for jigging and for slow trolling.

For jigs I either use a Buzzbomb (chrome or pearl) or flatish metal football shaped jig both around 2 to 3 oz. I also double hook minnow threading hook, I also leave the treble hook on that came with jig. Remove double hook from clip and run shank up the anus and out the mouth then clip back on clip.

Reactions: pacificscout

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I would get a guide, did that a few years back, decent fishing for lake trout in April, if however you decide to trailer your boat up, you will have to past the quagga mussel inspection, if you fail they will do a decontamination at your expense and quarantine you boat for a minimum of three days, I was there three years ago could have changed since then.