Fishing in BOLA 13,14,15 of july

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by TunaChaser20, Jul 6, 2018.

1. TunaChaser20

TunaChaser20 Captain

Name:
    Albert P
    Boat:
    Lil Amber
    So my friends and i(7) people,2truck caravan heading to bola in the 12th early morning... should be inBahia in he afternoon. For those of you that fish for groupers...what pound test do you guys use to pull them out from the rocks?? We went last year and got our asses handed to us on the first day.. we were using 100 lbs test ,and were breaking off too easy. This year we’re taking 250 lbs test leader will 8-12oz egg sinkers. What rig do you guys use?and what’s your biggest grouper caught?

2. fatoldcapt

fatoldcapt Newbie

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    none
    I don't know about Groupers. I've seen photos of one at the cleaning station that was 80 Lbs. But I don't know if they fight hard. We catch mostly Yellows. They go right into the rocks and break you off if you're not on your toes. We use 40 Lb Mono, sometimes 50 Lb. I got so tired of being rocked and loosing sinkers I made up some 100 Lb leaders for the drooper loops. It helped a little bit. Now I just use circle hooks and when they hit, I jest reel like crazy. That works best.

brich4aday likes this.
  3. fatoldcapt

fatoldcapt Newbie

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    none
    From photos I've seen posted here I see Rapals, Blue & White (look kind of like the Macks) and they don't dive deep, only about 8 Ft. Please anyone who has better info chime in.

4. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    I’ve had a lot of luck deep divers and. Mac or sardine and bright pink colors over 30 years

5. danbrandlin

danbrandlin Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    22' triumph
    Last year we got a one broomtail around 50lbs and one black sea bass around the same size fishing for yellows with 60-80lb with 16oz weights on a dropper loop, locked down drag, try not to give them an inch. Good luck, I will be down there 16th and 17th fishing with Enrique.

sushimi, brich4aday and dweston like this.
  6. jsl

jsl Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    none
    Imo, if you seriously want to target grouper, it's a good idea to go super heavy- 200+ lb leader or heavy wire and 40+ lbs of drag. Use a medium sized bass to avoid constantly having to change your baits. The trigger fish are a nuisance if you use mackerel.

If trolling, I would troll large deep divers crimped to heavy wire leaders. I like rapala x-rap magnum 30's. Have landed many with them to 40lbs.

They can be caught on lighter line but a lot of times, it's depends on the luck of the draw as it really depends on where they bite and your line position in relation to the structure. If you get bit at the wrong angle, good luck...

Scott

7. Beer Goggles

Beer Goggles Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    O
    Boat:
    The Snapper Slapper

I will be down the 17-20th staying at daggett's and fishing with either Enrique or Alfonso on the 18th and 19th. I will be the really tall dork with all of the disgusting tattoo's- come say hi. It's just me and Matt fishing so if anybody else is going to be down there and might want to jump on for a day let me know..See you down there..

8. noslow64

noslow64 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    to bad it's in the middle of the week, I could have gone if it were on the weekend.

Beer Goggles likes this.
  9. 1 Ola Mas

1 Ola Mas Well-Known "Member"

Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name:
    WoodEye
    Boat:
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Where were you two daze ago?

Beer Goggles likes this.
  10. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    what kinf od rod and reels you guys use when targeting Groupers bigger than 60#

I have been rocked lots of times with 80# mono leader and a phenix axis 802XH and my Penn Baja Special

now Im building an old school standup rod with Seeker 60XXH and a mak15 with 100# braid and hopefully 130# mono leader would be enough.
    I have seen guys using 400#mono leaders, tho.