Fishing in bad weather?

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
In the past I have gone to certain spots that I like to fish when there is bad weather.
My theory was that if the ocean is all messed up the fish are more likely to be bitting in the bay ( San Diego bay)
Anyway I used to like fishing nearby the star of India
When the tide was high and going low I could get a lot of bites of some good size fish
Last time I went there ( some years ago) I was told by harbor police that I am not allowed to fish there anymore, and now I’m looking for other spots
So I’m curious if any one else has some spots they like to fish in bad weather and are willing to share a little bit.
Cause the weather sucks right now and I’m really board

Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
I'd be interested in knowing this too... seems like I'll be fishing locally through the weekend.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
I don't know where exactly you where fishing by the Star of India but there are no "restricted" areas by it that I know of... now if you where 5 feet from it I get that... but aside for that you can fish that whole area... I have been fishing that area for the last 30 years... and as recently as 2 months ago... I have had C.G. and Harbor Police go by me on several occasions and even been checked by H.P. a few times when I was close enough to launch a 1 oz. swim bait onto the deck of the India if I was so inclined... I have attached an image of the area... can you show me where you got kicked out of?
SOI.jpg

now when it comes to snotty weather I like to drift the chanel drop offs towards the front of the bay... have done really well doing that!

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
Basically I was at the corner of the blue line, fishing from land. I have been fishing there for 15 years at least,and have had some f&g check me out with no issues but a couple of years ago a harbor police checked me out and told me that I am not allowed to fish there any more

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
Basically I was at the corner of the blue line, fishing from land. I have been fishing there for 15 years at least,and have had some f&g check me out with no issues but a couple of years ago a harbor police checked me out and told me that I am not allowed to fish there any more

Hmmm... seems strange... are there any signs that say no fishing? if not then fish away.. that's what I would do... if they try to tell you you can not fish there again be polite and ask why not or what law you are breaking... remember keep your cool with any LEO and treat them with respect.. BUT make sure you get the exact law you are breaking... and if they give you "because we said you cant" you politely say how would I look that up in the penal code or fish and game regulations because I want to know exactly what law I have broken... now I'm a firm believer in my rights and I will stand my ground with any LEO and still treat them with respect... but I will not give up my right to fish unless I'm in a area that I'm not legally able to... and no I would not fish some place that is not legal to do so knowingly. now keep in mind this is what I would do... and PLEASE if you can not treat the LEO with respect do not put your self in the position... I have a LOT of friends that are LEO's and they all say the same thing "if you have an attitude we will make it as by the book as possible for you" so don't be a ass!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    If the bad weather includes RAIN over any urban area, the water will also be f'ck'd up with all the runoff during and after the storm. Waiting a couple of days before any contact with that water is prudent.

If it's just high winds, game on unless casting directly into the wind.

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    It’s all just catch and release when I fish there
    I will have a hoop net set up so that it’s a few feet under the water so that when I do get something of size I just positioned it over my hoop net and pull it up
    Then I can properly unhook and release it

Upvote 0