26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Way back in the early 80's we'd rent from Aventura in Dana. It started out dragging Crocodiles and sailing with lots of Bonito coming over the rail. Then came the Makos on the Rapala. Eventually we quit hoisting and just ran on power doing more and more fishing and less and less sailing.

Then it happened...Yellowfin busting the surface 100 yards away....After what seemed like three days we rolled up into the aftermath of now long-gone tuna.

Two weeks later we were signing a loan for a $6,500 1972 24' Skipjack open cuddy LOL

Great report and kudos on the slug Yellows!!!!

Reactions: duckbutter6a

vagabundo

capt
Mar 14, 2007
alta loma
Name
bill
Boat
23 sea pro
Congrats. I have a Columbia 43 sloop. Lots of comfort and room for family, friends and even pets. I hope you plan a stay over at the island for a week or two this summer. Get yourself a nice dinghy you can tow and use the sailboat as a "mothership". You can zip around the different inshore spots in the dinghy and fish/dive, then return to your boat at anchor. Have fun spilling blood and booze I will look for you this summer

Sly McFly

Jun 18, 2014
Name
Jim
Boat
Sly McFly
I fish from my 30 foot, outboard powered, sailboat out of San Diego. Last summer I got 4 YFT trolling on the 9 mile bank. One August night I left at 1 AM and sailed all night under mainsail and autopilot, at dawn I was on the 182. Keep in mind I used no fuel and slept most of the night in the cockpit keeping one eye open headed for that corner in the MX border about 25 miles out at about 3 knots. You may remember when that area was producing. I set the trolling rigs at first light and fired up my 6 HP outboard kicking us along at about 5 knots. I can troll a 3 line set. I also have a jig stick for throwing salas and other iron. Around 8 AM the port rig got hammered by a really large shark. Not sure if it was a hammerhead (you may remember all the hammers that were with the tuna in those days) could have been a blue or mako. I never gained any line on this thing. My seeker and Penn 113H trolling on 40 lb mono were outgunned. I was outgunned. The fish was pulling the boat backward. I did get the fish to the surface, when he jumped and spit the lure (thankfully). Around noon, I turned for home and the wind came up. Ran all the way back at 7.5 knots, trolling the entire way. Got a knockdown on the outside edge of the 9. Did not get the fish to color. Saw lots of breezing fish around SD1. Did not get bit (I was tired). Got to the home slip by 5 PM, burned about 2 gallons of gas. I had frozen macks and squid from Zion market (cost $5 in total). I had two bags of ice in the cooler.

Fishing and sailing is fun, I can't chase radio fish at all. That's a good thing. I've had big sport fishers wave me in on a paddy, that is really cool. You are always trolling and with the engine off the boat is silent. I like to sit on the side deck and throw iron while the boat sails along under autopilot at 4 or 5 knots. This winter I installed a fish finder.

See you out there!

PS - Will go to Catalina and beyond for 3 weeks in July, carrying all food, fuel and water, no need to gas up at $7.50/gallon at the island.

Reactions: Ryan_J

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Fishing on a sailing boat sounds like an inexpensive alternative and a lot of fun. The one drawback would be the inability to run and gun as you chase that elusive bird school. I would still struggle with the long boat ride as well. I like to get there in a hurry and get home in time for a good nap. Regardless, I think you're style of fishing is pretty cool and I love your stoke!

Eric Hardman

Mar 31, 2015
Name
Eric Hardman
Boat
No Name
I fish from my 30 foot, outboard powered, sailboat out of San Diego. Last summer I got 4 YFT trolling on the 9 mile bank. One August night I left at 1 AM and sailed all night under mainsail and autopilot, at dawn I was on the 182. Keep in mind I used no fuel and slept most of the night in the cockpit keeping one eye open headed for that corner in the MX border about 25 miles out at about 3 knots. You may remember when that area was producing. I set the trolling rigs at first light and fired up my 6 HP outboard kicking us along at about 5 knots. I can troll a 3 line set. I also have a jig stick for throwing salas and other iron. Around 8 AM the port rig got hammered by a really large shark. Not sure if it was a hammerhead (you may remember all the hammers that were with the tuna in those days) could have been a blue or mako. I never gained any line on this thing. My seeker and Penn 113H trolling on 40 lb mono were outgunned. I was outgunned. The fish was pulling the boat backward. I did get the fish to the surface, when he jumped and spit the lure (thankfully). Around noon, I turned for home and the wind came up. Ran all the way back at 7.5 knots, trolling the entire way. Got a knockdown on the outside edge of the 9. Did not get the fish to color. Saw lots of breezing fish around SD1. Did not get bit (I was tired). Got to the home slip by 5 PM, burned about 2 gallons of gas. I had frozen macks and squid from Zion market (cost $5 in total). I had two bags of ice in the cooler.

Fishing and sailing is fun, I can't chase radio fish at all. That's a good thing. I've had big sport fishers wave me in on a paddy, that is really cool. You are always trolling and with the engine off the boat is silent. I like to sit on the side deck and throw iron while the boat sails along under autopilot at 4 or 5 knots. This winter I installed a fish finder.

See you out there!

PS - Will go to Catalina and beyond for 3 weeks in July, carrying all food, fuel and water, no need to gas up at $7.50/gallon at the island.
That's awesome man, glad to see another "sail-fish" on here. If you don't mind, how do you set up your 3 trolling lines (length, lures, etc)? I seem to get lines tangled especially when having to tac. Enjoyed reading your reply post. Cant beat free energy, and you are right about being silent and stealth, I think that helps out a lot, especially when the fish are a little shy and spooky.

Eric Hardman

Mar 31, 2015
Name
Eric Hardman
Boat
No Name
Nice job! Can we see your bait tank setup? Never seen one on a sail boat. How did you keep the tank/water level when sailing?
On the transom, you can see my removable fish finder transducer. Let me know if you have any questions.

20150520_103615.jpg

20150520_110412.jpg

20150520_103218.jpg

20150520_103151.jpg

20150520_103137.jpg

20150520_103117.jpg

Sly McFly

Jun 18, 2014
Name
Jim
Boat
Sly McFly
I have rocket launcher rod holders on my aft rail. In the middle, I have a PVC that holds one trolling rod. On the sides, I have 2 rod holders that hold the other trolling rods. Yes, lines get tangled. All but one must be brought in before tacking! Down the middle, I run a natural cedar plug very long, like 50 yards out. I've had YT hit this. On the sides, I run Rapalas, I bought those kind that swim about 10 feet down. All my tuna last year hit these. I run them about 25 feet back. We don't have to worry about getting them in clean water behind a sailboat. Just put them out enough so they are swimming.

I buy frozen macks at Zion market (asian shopping market) on Claremont mesa, and squid, too. Much cheaper than bait stores.

I'm happy if I get one or two fish in a day. I don't need more. It gives me something to do, some place to go. Sometimes I just go fish around SD1, that is 3 miles out, about 1 hour from my slip.

Solandri A

Jan 23, 2014
Name
John
Boat
none
well done! since catalina and back is a $400 proposition on my boat, I've always thought about how it would be done on a sailboat.
I've been mulling over that the last couple months. If your boat is big enough it needs a slip, then yes the sailboat is cheaper.

The cost comparison becomes very different right around 25 ft though. A powerboat that size is usually trailerable. A sailboat bigger than that usually is not due to the keel (if they are, the hull sits about 3 ft higher in a trailer than with a powerboat, making it a challenge to both tow and launch). So the sailboat ends up with a ~$400/mo slip fee the trailered power boat doesn't incur.

Smaller than that where both boats can be trailered, I'd have to give the edge to the powerboat. A sailboat is always a displacement vessel, so the smaller sailboat's speed is slower due to the Froude number being proportional to hull length. The powerboat can get up to plane to bypass that restriction, and it doesn't burn as much fuel as a larger powerboat.