Fishing from a sailboat- Catalina

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Eric Hardman, May 18, 2015.

1. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nicely done! Never a bad idea to troll a rapala in Catalina coastal water. The usual suspects less the bonito.

2. Gary777

Gary777 Newbie

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    None yet ....
    Awesome .... Hoping for a phenomenal fishing season ahead! Congrats on your score!

3. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Every thing about your report was cool....except the 7 hour boat ride. Thanks for sharing! :D

jaw1970 likes this.
  4. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Nice first post!!

Even thou Cal 27s are nice little boats you may need a little thicker skin than the rest of us here. May take a while to get somewhere but the good news is your ALWAYS at trolling speed! :D

5. AndyJ

AndyJ Undocumented "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Great post and great bait setup. I love catching fish from a sailboat. We rented a sailboat with two other couples a few years ago and fished Two Harbors from both the sailboat and a dinghy. Fantastic trip.
    Caught bass, sculpin and a couple of bat rays on anchor and a bonito trolling. Had some yellows breeze under the dinghy while bass fishing and tear up a swim bait on 15 lb mono. Never could stop the fish, but great fun. Hope you get into some tuna this summer...

6. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Sweet way of getting out there! I did see a sailboat last September a few miles out of San Diego gettin into the tuna. I thought it was funny until I realized they don't have a fuel bill, nor are they limited in range by fuel capacity. I think the sail is a cool way to go! Looking forward to more reports...

7. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Are those bare hooks on the deck about 5" from your bare feet?

[​IMG]

bloodfart likes this.
  8. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Newbie

Name:
    Eric Hardman
    Boat:
    No Name
    I was waiting for someone to call me out on that! Yes, they are. In the commotion of landing the yellow and adrenaline pumping, I had a small box of hooks spill. They were put away shortly after bleeding this guy. I could probably have some in my foot there and wouldn't even know it with how stoked I am!!

Ryan_J and bloodfart like this.
  9. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Newbie

Name:
    Eric Hardman
    Boat:
    No Name
    Next time I go down to my boat I'll take some pics of it and the bait tank set up for you guys. But yeah, you're right, it does have a lot of open area below for its length. Even had room for two sets of clubs to play a round of golf at Avalon.

10. MisterBandit

MisterBandit Newbie

Name:
    rick
    Boat:
    All In
    well done! since catalina and back is a $400 proposition on my boat, I've always thought about how it would be done on a sailboat.

11. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Way back in the early 80's we'd rent from Aventura in Dana. It started out dragging Crocodiles and sailing with lots of Bonito coming over the rail. Then came the Makos on the Rapala. Eventually we quit hoisting and just ran on power doing more and more fishing and less and less sailing.

Then it happened...Yellowfin busting the surface 100 yards away....After what seemed like three days we rolled up into the aftermath of now long-gone tuna.

Two weeks later we were signing a loan for a $6,500 1972 24' Skipjack open cuddy LOL

Great report and kudos on the slug Yellows!!!!

duckbutter6a likes this.
  12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Nice. You made the front page.

13. skillett

skillett Newbie

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Sportsman
    Great report...congrats!

14. vagabundo

vagabundo capt

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    23 sea pro
    Congrats. I have a Columbia 43 sloop. Lots of comfort and room for family, friends and even pets. I hope you plan a stay over at the island for a week or two this summer. Get yourself a nice dinghy you can tow and use the sailboat as a "mothership". You can zip around the different inshore spots in the dinghy and fish/dive, then return to your boat at anchor. Have fun spilling blood and booze I will look for you this summer

15. Sly McFly

Sly McFly Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sly McFly
    I fish from my 30 foot, outboard powered, sailboat out of San Diego. Last summer I got 4 YFT trolling on the 9 mile bank. One August night I left at 1 AM and sailed all night under mainsail and autopilot, at dawn I was on the 182. Keep in mind I used no fuel and slept most of the night in the cockpit keeping one eye open headed for that corner in the MX border about 25 miles out at about 3 knots. You may remember when that area was producing. I set the trolling rigs at first light and fired up my 6 HP outboard kicking us along at about 5 knots. I can troll a 3 line set. I also have a jig stick for throwing salas and other iron. Around 8 AM the port rig got hammered by a really large shark. Not sure if it was a hammerhead (you may remember all the hammers that were with the tuna in those days) could have been a blue or mako. I never gained any line on this thing. My seeker and Penn 113H trolling on 40 lb mono were outgunned. I was outgunned. The fish was pulling the boat backward. I did get the fish to the surface, when he jumped and spit the lure (thankfully). Around noon, I turned for home and the wind came up. Ran all the way back at 7.5 knots, trolling the entire way. Got a knockdown on the outside edge of the 9. Did not get the fish to color. Saw lots of breezing fish around SD1. Did not get bit (I was tired). Got to the home slip by 5 PM, burned about 2 gallons of gas. I had frozen macks and squid from Zion market (cost $5 in total). I had two bags of ice in the cooler.

Fishing and sailing is fun, I can't chase radio fish at all. That's a good thing. I've had big sport fishers wave me in on a paddy, that is really cool. You are always trolling and with the engine off the boat is silent. I like to sit on the side deck and throw iron while the boat sails along under autopilot at 4 or 5 knots. This winter I installed a fish finder.

See you out there!

PS - Will go to Catalina and beyond for 3 weeks in July, carrying all food, fuel and water, no need to gas up at $7.50/gallon at the island.

Ryan_J likes this.
  16. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Fishing on a sailing boat sounds like an inexpensive alternative and a lot of fun. The one drawback would be the inability to run and gun as you chase that elusive bird school. I would still struggle with the long boat ride as well. I like to get there in a hurry and get home in time for a good nap. Regardless, I think you're style of fishing is pretty cool and I love your stoke!

17. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Newbie

Name:
    Eric Hardman
    Boat:
    No Name
    That's awesome man, glad to see another "sail-fish" on here. If you don't mind, how do you set up your 3 trolling lines (length, lures, etc)? I seem to get lines tangled especially when having to tac. Enjoyed reading your reply post. Cant beat free energy, and you are right about being silent and stealth, I think that helps out a lot, especially when the fish are a little shy and spooky.

18. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Newbie

Name:
    Eric Hardman
    Boat:
    No Name
    On the transom, you can see my removable fish finder transducer. Let me know if you have any questions.

20150520_103615.jpg

20150520_110412.jpg

20150520_103218.jpg

20150520_103151.jpg

20150520_103137.jpg

20150520_103117.jpg

19. Sly McFly

Sly McFly Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sly McFly
    I have rocket launcher rod holders on my aft rail. In the middle, I have a PVC that holds one trolling rod. On the sides, I have 2 rod holders that hold the other trolling rods. Yes, lines get tangled. All but one must be brought in before tacking! Down the middle, I run a natural cedar plug very long, like 50 yards out. I've had YT hit this. On the sides, I run Rapalas, I bought those kind that swim about 10 feet down. All my tuna last year hit these. I run them about 25 feet back. We don't have to worry about getting them in clean water behind a sailboat. Just put them out enough so they are swimming.

I buy frozen macks at Zion market (asian shopping market) on Claremont mesa, and squid, too. Much cheaper than bait stores.

I'm happy if I get one or two fish in a day. I don't need more. It gives me something to do, some place to go. Sometimes I just go fish around SD1, that is 3 miles out, about 1 hour from my slip.

20. Solandri A

Solandri A Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    none
    I've been mulling over that the last couple months. If your boat is big enough it needs a slip, then yes the sailboat is cheaper.

The cost comparison becomes very different right around 25 ft though. A powerboat that size is usually trailerable. A sailboat bigger than that usually is not due to the keel (if they are, the hull sits about 3 ft higher in a trailer than with a powerboat, making it a challenge to both tow and launch). So the sailboat ends up with a ~$400/mo slip fee the trailered power boat doesn't incur.

Smaller than that where both boats can be trailered, I'd have to give the edge to the powerboat. A sailboat is always a displacement vessel, so the smaller sailboat's speed is slower due to the Froude number being proportional to hull length. The powerboat can get up to plane to bypass that restriction, and it doesn't burn as much fuel as a larger powerboat.