Fishing for Market Squid

NubeFisher

• Sep 8, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    James MacIsaac
    Boat
    2021 Grady-White Adventure 208
    Okay, has anyone fished for Market Squid here in San Diego? I watched a video on YouTube last night with guys catching squid and since my ability to catch fish since getting my new boat (1 rock fish, bunch of dead sardines (see previous thread by me) - don't laugh), I thought I'd try to catch some fresh calamari! I just purchased the squid lures on Amazon and wanted to know where some good spots where.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    I just purchased the squid lures on Amazon

If it was only that easy.

Tip one -
    You're going to need some lights.

Tip two -
    Only place I have caught them is at Cat during spawning season.

NubeFisher
    NubeFisher
    I've got the lights, I was hoping there was somewhere near La Jolla they spawn at. Spawning season is supposed to start next month.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Lol, not gonna happen. If you don't already have it, download the app navionics. Turn on shade relief, look for some structure/rocks and stick to rockfishing and or bass for now

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    When the squid show you will see the glow from the beach . It will look like a small city . You don't have to have lights or go at night . Quite often it can be snagged during daylight . If you are on the water look for spots of birds that don't have pelicans mixed in , pelicans don't like squid .

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Squid is more a winter time here in SoCal. Not a SD guy so I don't know how LJ has been during this last El Nino cycle but I do know squid have set up in the area before. On spawning beds squid will show up as faint returns near/on the bottom on your meter.

Reactions: nefarious235
    Upvote 0