Fishing estero at La Bocana

thehatpd

Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
Headed to La Bocana next month....any tackle suggestions on how/what to fish in the estero/lagoon....also going to fish calico and yt....thanks

tunakid4321

May 17, 2004
Malibu/San Diego/Boise
Name
Travis
Boat
None
Small swimbaits and krokodiles. Bring light rods, 10 lb test. Tip the swimbaits with squid strips.

Incredible fishery, imagine SD bay on steroids, with a chance of catching anything really.

I went with a panga guide a few years ago, caught at least 100 fish between my Buddy and I. Spotties cuda corvina halibut jacks etc

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
They have "special regulations" as far as take in that body of water. Pretty sure all grouper catch n release. Not sure about (keeping) halibut, spotted bay bass, corvina etc?

thehatpd

Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
Thanks for info....I have no issue with catch and release in the estero.....I like idea of catching 100+ fish a day on hardbaits, swimbaits, light line and tackle....also, such a wide variety of fish is cool

Reactions: alldaylong

bobrehfuss

Rufo
May 23, 2006
Around the Way
Name
Bob
Boat
Yes
Morning is best time of day IMO but afternoon can be pretty damn good. The top of the high tide is best time to fish the mangrove edges for lots of small grouper.

Some of the guys there specialize in the estero. The right captain/boat can really make a difference but it’s hard to go wrong. I’ve fished with Juanchys Aguilar and had great grouper fishing.

Rattletraps like you use for largemouth bass and a bass type set up like mentioned above will provide stellar results. Spimnerbaits also work really well but get torn up quick. Also as mentioned above small 2-3” swimbaits/curly tails with 1/4-1/2oz leadhead work great. White and bright colors always seem to work best but they seem to bite any color.

The variety and qualmtity of fish is amazing and one of the few places that I’ve fished where two fish on the same lure is common.

Reactions: Captain Juan SQ

alldaylong

Mar 20, 2019
point loma
Name
Rodrigo
Boat
no
Morning is best time of day IMO but afternoon can be pretty damn good. The top of the high tide is best time to fish the mangrove edges for lots of small grouper.

Some of the guys there specialize in the estero. The right captain/boat can really make a difference but it’s hard to go wrong. I’ve fished with Juanchys Aguilar and had great grouper fishing.

Rattletraps like you use for largemouth bass and a bass type set up like mentioned above will provide stellar results. Spimnerbaits also work really well but get torn up quick. Also as mentioned above small 2-3” swimbaits/curly tails with 1/4-1/2oz leadhead work great. White and bright colors always seem to work best but they seem to bite any color.

The variety and qualmtity of fish is amazing and one of the few places that I’ve fished where two fish on the same lure is common.
Any idea of how much Aguilar would charge? And for how long? Thank you

fish4us

Jul 21, 2012
Escondido/CA/USA
Name
Susan Sloan
Boat
none
Last edited:

thehatpd

Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
Have tried to call Bear a few times at different hours, but get VM....I leave a message in English, and again in my half ass Spanish and nothing....will try Facebook...thanks