Fishing deep with down riggers. Cable choice

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
Not gonna get into cable vs braid debate. I just wanted to let people know that I got some new cannon 400ft coated wire for my riggers and miked it at .023 in. I had been told that Cannon makes better wire but I always put scotty wire on before cause it was avail locally. The scotty wire miked at .034in. Same 150# test. 200lb powerpro, which seems to be the popular pick, is .030. Braid floats ss cable sinks so no debate imo about whihc one will get deeper with the same weight ball.

Mark49

Mark litwiler
Dec 26, 2016
Lompoc
Name
Mark Litwiler
Boat
20’ wilson
I just got the same wire but when I spoiled it on it seemed short of the 400 feet....

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris
Boat
Whichever one mics less. The density of the line will be completely immaterial.
thickness makes a difference! less drag...with 300 ft out you got 43 sq in less width in the water = less blowback ..oh I just figured out what you are saying. probably true if the ball wt is sufficient to overcome any buoyancy effect

Last edited:
Reactions: dsl

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris
Boat
Not gonna get into cable vs braid debate. I just wanted to let people know that I got some new cannon 400ft coated wire for my riggers and miked it at .023 in. I had been told that Cannon makes better wire but I always put scotty wire on before cause it was avail locally. The scotty wire miked at .034in. Same 150# test. 200lb powerpro, which seems to be the popular pick, is .030. Braid floats ss cable sinks so no debate imo about whihc one will get deeper
Exactly right on your conclusion, but your math may be off a little: 300*12 * 0.011 = 39.6.
Exactly right on your conclusion, but your math may be off a little: 300*12 * 0.011 = 39.6.
my line counter must have been off a tad

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    It sounds like your sold on the coated wire.
    I don’t like any coated wire,it gets nicked and traps water inside.
    130 lb spectra is half or less the diameter of
    coated 150 lb wire.
    Too bad your not closer,I could prove it to you.
    130 lb spectra is about 1/3 the diameter of the 200 lb Scotty spectra (it must actually be way over 200,you can really feel the difference with it in your finger tips.)
    My buddies can fish the bottom at over 400’ deep.
    Anyways, good luck on the salmon.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    thats why I use cannon wire! electrocoated. it is pretty much the same dia as 130. But I salmon fish and want the current in the cable.

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Are you using some version of a black box, or are you relying on the length of wire going through the water to generate charge?

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    On the Cannon the rigger is wired to send the fixed voltage down the line so no need for the box. In the early season I just assume that the .6v is true down deep. I have a f/g boat so probably is so. Catch plenty of salmon. In the late fall near shore ocean season would use a box and crank up the volts to 1.5v as the fish are not really feeding. But the late fall season is now something of the past. Dont think we will get anymore. They just let them go up the river to get slaughtered by the indians and bank fishermen when they are half rotten.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    Are you using some version of a black box, or are you relying on the length of wire going through the water to generate charge?
    Cannons have ion control built in the downriggers. The other thing the wire does is auto stop the retrieve when the ball breaks the surface of the water. The spectra won't auto stop as it needs the current with the wire to make it work.

Reactions: Wade K in deep
    Upvote 0