Saltwater Fishing Cypress

glacierboat

Sep 5, 2019
anacortes
Name
John Ryan
Boat
Glacier Bay
I have had good luck around Cypress Island in MA 7 on mild currents but not so much when we have tide changes greater than 7 feet, like in the next few days. Are there any tips on how to fish for salmon when currents are running 3+ knots? Fish near the bottom or look for suspended Chinook? Fish only with the current or against it? Only at the tide change? Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: jiggermyster

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
Tip of the day. Go fish the different currents and tides in any area and take good notes. Then take those notes to your grave and share only with family and close friends that you can trust to keep the information off the web. It’s a valid question I hope you find your answer

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
@Nosecrets thank you for being more kind than many of us would have been. I fished my lucky lake spot for years and always caught them there…. Difference is that damn tide movement creating directional water movement in the salt.
@glacierboat put your time in. TAKE NOTES. And learn. Asking for this on Internet forums has ruined many of the good spots.

Reactions: glacierboat

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
Upvote 0

troller w

Dec 14, 2010
Anacortes
Name
Dennis
Boat
Troller 190 Hewescraft Searunner
So I've heard this twice now...where's this info coming from?
WDFW Logo
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
wdfw.wa.gov

July 7, 2021
Fish Program, 360-902-2700
Media Contact: Eryn Couch, 360-890-6604

Salmon fishing to close early in San Juan Islands following successful opener

OLYMPIA – Fishery managers at the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today an early closure to salmon fishing in the San Juan Islands (Marine Area 7) to meet conservation objectives for Chinook salmon following highly successful catch rates. The closure goes into effect July 8.

“Since the season kicked off July 1, Chinook fishing has really taken off in the San Juan Islands,” said Kyle Adicks, WDFW’s intergovernmental salmon manager. “So much so that the total Chinook catch has already met the quota for the full month of July. This closure helps to support salmon conservation and preserve fishing opportunities in the future.”

Staff will continue analyzing data and will reevaluate whether fishing for coho salmon may reopen later in the summer while remaining within management guidelines for Chinook incidentally caught and released. The Bellingham Bay fishery as described in the 2021-22 Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet will continue as planned.

More information about other Puget Sound salmon fishing opportunities is available on WDFW’s website at wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/summaries.

Anglers should check the Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet at wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations and WDFW’s emergency rules page at fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/ before heading out, and download the Fish Washington mobile app for up-to-date regulations at their destination.

Puget Sound salmon seasons are a result of an annual collaborative state and tribal salmon season-setting process known as North of Falcon, which WDFW uses to preserve, protect and perpetuate fish, while providing sustainable fish recreational and commercial opportunities. The public is invited to participate in this process in late winter each year.

Engage with WDFW
Facebook YouTube Instagram Twitter WDFW Medium Blog

This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: https://wdfw.wa.gov/news
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/lists/uns

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
It seems counter intuitive, if the fishing is hot(lots of fish around) then the season gets closed early. If the fishing is bad(few fish around) the season can go the distance. We the fisherman are doing a service, keeping hatchery fish off of the spawning grounds which is supposingly the reason we don't have more hatchery fish.

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
Arrived with the family in Friday harbor this afternoon. When I booked this trip in April Had planned on lots of crabbing. Or shrimping or salmon fishing. At least I hit area 8-2 for lots of crab on the way up.
Looks like will be more sightseeing and drinking than fish the next three days.
wdfw is so screwed up. 🤬

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Where’s area 7? I should try it there. Any tuna?

Upvote 0

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Gonna be another one of those years. Area 9 should be closed by Monday or Tuesday after its opening on Friday.

Area 10 will close just as it begins to get good. So the last week of July, first week of Aug.

Why do I even buy a license? At least the kids are free.

TIME TO GET OUR OWN LICENSE. HELL WITH WDFW YOU ARE JOKE.

Reactions: FISHTALE2
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Strong tides and swings are a cursing and a blessing. They are a curse because the bait can't ball up that great, and the salmon seem to tuck in and wait out the tides. Fish with the current, as fish, like everything alive, want to expend as less energy as possible, so if their actively feeding it's usually with the current.

The blessing is because slack tides are monster feeding times. They come out of the wood-work to feed while expending less energy fighting currents, and bait can ball up (their defense) better in slack tides. This is true anywhere on the planet, for any fishery.....

Reactions: glacierboat
Upvote 0

saltchuckmatt

Long time puget sound fisherman
Sep 21, 2014
Seattle
Name
matthew paulsen
Boat
19 ft. campion Etec lover!
It’s not well known but yeah it’s loaded with tuna. Mainly blue fin but an occasional dorado. It’s hatchery only though.
Yes, blue fin. I remember as a child massive amounts of blue fin running up the Stilly to spawn. That was WAY back when you didn't have to go so far north to catch them. Rumor has it the farmers decimated them with pitch forks right out of the rivers. The world is a screwed up place.

Tight lines guys.

Reactions: Nosecrets
Upvote 0

glacierboat

Sep 5, 2019
anacortes
Name
John Ryan
Boat
Glacier Bay
Strong tides and swings are a cursing and a blessing. They are a curse because the bait can't ball up that great, and the salmon seem to tuck in and wait out the tides. Fish with the current, as fish, like everything alive, want to expend as less energy as possible, so if their actively feeding it's usually with the current.

The blessing is because slack tides are monster feeding times. They come out of the wood-work to feed while expending less energy fighting currents, and bait can ball up (their defense) better in slack tides. This is true anywhere on the planet, for any fishery.....
Thank you. Next year I will focus on the slack unless the wdfw changes its mind this year again!

Upvote 0