FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    At some point we have to get on living our lives and accept the risk, if you are scared then stay home and hide in your hole, course if you continue to do that you won’t have a hole to hide in. I’m not saying be stupid but be rational. Buying gas to go fishing isn’t going spread anything as I wear nitril gloves while doing so as should all of you:). And if you buy it on the water you really don’t need to touch a dam thing.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    At some point we have to get on living our lives and accept the risk, if you are scared then stay home and hide in your hole, course if you continue to do that you won’t have a hole to hide in. I’m not saying be stupid but be rational. Buying gas to go fishing isn’t going spread anything as I wear nitril gloves while doing so as should all of you:). And if you buy it on the water you really don’t need to touch a dam thing.
    I don't understand the glove thing myself. People wear them, go about their business, touch their faces and all that other good (bad) stuff so not much of a difference versus bare handed unless they disinfect or wash their hands while wearing gloves or remove (properly) discard the gloves and then wash their hands. In other words people could be getting a false sense of security wearing gloves and relax their caution .

By the way the way I've been taught to remove gloves is to pull one off by grabbing the other from the outside, hold that with the gloved hand, slip a finger under the other glove pulling it off inside out with the first inside. Correct or wrong that's the way I was taught in a couple more advanced 1st aid classes I've had to take.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I don't understand the glove thing myself. People wear them, go about their business, touch their faces and all that other good (bad) stuff so not much of a difference versus bare handed unless they disinfect or wash their hands while wearing gloves or remove (properly) discard the gloves and then wash their hands. In other words people could be getting a false sense of security wearing gloves and relax their caution .

By the way the way I've been taught to remove gloves is to pull one off by grabbing the other from the outside, hold that with the gloved hand, slip a finger under the other glove pulling it off inside out with the first inside. Correct or wrong that's the way I was taught in a couple more advanced 1st aid classes I've had to take.

The same argument is being made about the use, or promoting the use of masks, and providing a false sense of safety from the virus. - You need to be cognizant of how you handle the mask, when It’s reached its useful life, how to dispose of it, wash hands after handling it, etc.

I remove my gloves the same way, that’s how I was trained as well. Never touch your skin with the exterior side of a used glove. - My dad learned this while boat building with epoxy. He developed a rash on his wrist, where just a little epoxy residue would get on his skin when removing gloves.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback

I took this picture yesterday... Guy was sucking on his finger WTF!

Attachments

• 20200403_073553.jpg
      20200403_073553.jpg
      193.7 KB · Views: 87
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    Yup you have to understand the clean side from the dirty side and yup you can’t wear them back into your car after you have touched the pump or put your hands back in your pockets etc etc etc

I get out of the car put them on, pump my gas then peel them off inside out and drop them in the trash. Same process at the grocery store.

Or how about this,come up with PSA commercials showing people how to wear PPE properly!

I’m sure we could come up with a two min YouTube video to pass the proper process along. It’s not overly complicated.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Concerning the masks. I love this part: They were telling everyone masks don’t help but then out of the other side of their mouths saying not to buy up all the masks because we needed the masks for health care workers who really need them.

Every health care worker I have seen is wearing masks and gloves.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Reactions: FVSerenity
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    Ok, I admit it! I was trained for 20 years in the military how to operate in an NBC environment, and after that in my civilian life I was certified to handle rocket fuels so things that seem obvious to me may not to everyone. But like I said, a few infomercials should do a good enough job.

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    The closure is disheartening specifically because if we (the public) have a home on the water, why can't we fish off our own dock in our backyard, by ourselves..or to the extreme, literally fish from the back door, cast out, pass rod through window and then sit and wait...

Reactions: FVSerenity
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    I have a news flash for everyone, you are not going to live forever, none of us know how much time we have left, my advice is to go live your life and don’t waste any time worrying about when it will be over, but it will be over one day, so enjoy the time you have!

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    The closure is disheartening specifically because if we (the public) have a home on the water, why can't we fish off our own dock in our backyard, by ourselves..or to the extreme, literally fish from the back door, cast out, pass rod through window and then sit and wait...

closing fishing is just a shit move, people
    Have their boats moored, it is absolutely no different than going to the grocery store, and for most of us it IS going to the grocery store, closing fishing is fucking with my fucking food supply so yes I’m fucking angry!!!

Upvote 0

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
    Marysville,Wa
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    22' Grady White
    WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 3, 2020

Contacts

State lands closure extended to May 4

In accordance with the governor's extension of the "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order, all state lands will continue to be closed to the public through May 4.

OLYMPIA – The state Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (Parks), and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today the extended closure of state lands to the public through May 4. The closure coincides with the extension of Gov. Jay Inslee's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order.

This action is a continuation of the state's efforts to protect residents by stemming the spread of the coronavirus. This extension will apply to all camping on state lands, boat launches and water access sites, wildlife areas, and day-use recreation areas.

"The decision to extend the closure of public lands was an extremely difficult one. I share the sense of disconnection and loss that we are all feeling by not being able to be out in nature," said Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz, the elected official who leads DNR. "Our trails, campgrounds, and outdoor spaces are core to who we are in the Washington, but this temporary sacrifice is necessary to turn the tide and protect our loved ones and neighbors. We have the responsibility to do what we must to save as many lives as possible."

WDFW Director Kelly Susewind added, "We know many Washingtonians find great solace in spending time on the water or in the wilderness, and we are taking these painful steps only because of the urgent need to protect the health and well-being of our neighbors and communities."

WDFW anticipates additional fishing and hunting season announcements on Monday, April 6. Updates will be shared at wdfw.wa.gov.

"We understand and appreciate the hardship the park's closure has on the outdoor-recreating public," said Parks Director Don Hoch. "Most of our staff work for Parks because of their passion for the outdoors, and many of them have had to be reassigned to indoor work during this crisis. We all need to do whatever we can to help contain the spread of this virus. That means postponing a trip to a state park and staying home and staying healthy."

Campers who have state parks reservations through May 4 will be notified and offered a full refund. Visitors can find the latest information about State Park operations at parks.state.wa.us/COVID19.

People should continue to practice social distancing and good hygiene when outdoors and continue to stay as close to home as possible. DNR, WDFW, and Parks will continue to monitor this issue and will keep the public informed of the latest updates.

About DNR Recreation
    Led by the Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz, DNR manages 1,200 miles of trails and 160-plus recreation sites in 3 million acres of working forest state trust lands and 92 natural areas. DNR trust lands keep forests development-free, provide clean water, and generate revenue for public services and school construction. For recreation updates visit https://www.dnr.wa.gov/recreation. See additional DNR operational notices related to COVID-19 by following this link: https://www.dnr.wa.gov/slider.

About Washington State Parks
    The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission manages more than 100 state parks and properties totaling approximately 120,000 acres. The Commission provides a variety of recreation opportunities for citizens and provides stewardship protection for a diverse array of natural, cultural, and historic resources. State Parks' statewide programs include long-distance trails, boating safety, and winter recreation.

About WDFW
    The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife actively manages about one million acres of land, with 33 wildlife areas and nearly 500 water access sites around the state. These public lands help sustain wildlife habitat and public recreation opportunities for current and future generations. WDFW is the primary state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities. For updates on WDFW closures and restrictions during the COVID-19 response, visit https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email ([email protected]). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

This message has been sent to the WDFW News Releases & Weekender mailing list.
    Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/

• Wow
    Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I started to give Jay Inslee some credit when he initially resisted issuing a stay at home order. He loves to talk about using science and data when discussing global warming but is using hyperbole and fearmongering for his initial closure and its extension. Washington's case count and death rate from Covid 19 flattened before the first stay at home order issued March 23. The stay at home order is not warranted in our state as the school closures and social distancing was working as evidenced by data. Look at the Washington department of health website below and click on the epidemiologic curve. You can see the daily reported covid cases and deaths both of which are fairly flat starting March 12th. Closing the schools and social distancing was achieving the flattening the curve objective. The only thing the stay at home extension till May 4th will accomplish is increasing economic hardship. It is time to start putting people back to work. Remember COVID symptoms can take up to 14 days to manifest so the effects of the March 23 stay at home order impacts are just now starting to show up in the graphs. The last three weeks daily death and infection rates have been flat (average of 10 deaths and 300 new cases per day) all accomplished before the stay at home order. Please feel free to disagree with me but please use data. We now have Washington State data to reference instead of reacting to numbers out of Italy or New York both of which look nothing like us.

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    I saw an article where Minneapolis has already closed their public pools and beaches....for the entire summer.
    I also just got notice that Idaho has suspended non resident fishing and hunting license purchases.
    this shits going to get worse before it gets better.
    looks like I better start looking at canceling my house rental for halibut.>:(

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Idaho only suspended bear, turkey, wolf, and other less popular tags. Deer and elk are unaffected for now... but time will tell.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Does anyone know if you can still surf at Westport?
    Not sure if surfing is actually closed but beach access is closed. If the low tide groin breaks has enough swell you don't have much of a walk. Half Moon Bay maybe. After that the Jetty break or what we used to call the "Peak" break in the 70's would be a long walk.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    I started to give Jay Inslee some credit when he initially resisted issuing a stay at home order. He loves to talk about using science and data when discussing global warming but is using hyperbole and fearmongering for his initial closure and its extension. Washington's case count and death rate from Covid 19 flattened before the first stay at home order issued March 23. The stay at home order is not warranted in our state as the school closures and social distancing was working as evidenced by data. Look at the Washington department of health website below and click on the epidemiologic curve. You can see the daily reported covid cases and deaths both of which are fairly flat starting March 12th. Closing the schools and social distancing was achieving the flattening the curve objective. The only thing the stay at home extension till May 4th will accomplish is increasing economic hardship. It is time to start putting people back to work. Remember COVID symptoms can take up to 14 days to manifest so the effects of the March 23 stay at home order impacts are just now starting to show up in the graphs. The last three weeks daily death and infection rates have been flat (average of 10 deaths and 300 new cases per day) all accomplished before the stay at home order. Please feel free to disagree with me but please use data. We now have Washington State data to reference instead of reacting to numbers out of Italy or New York both of which look nothing like us.

agree completely
    this should probably be posed in the “I really want to trust the government buuuut” thread

:)

it is time to go back to work, be safe, but go back to work

Upvote 0