tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Im glad we are able to discuss our different opinions without being to butt hurt. We all have personal experiences, someone we knows experience, something we read, something we heard, the list goes on. But we are not expert's, even the experts admit they don't know everything about this. Some people get really sick and die, some get really sick and live. Some don't get sick at all.

The flawed thing in all this is the belief that somehow we are in control. We don't control who lives or who dies. Ya we have great modern day medicine that allows us to play God once in a while. Or does it?
Sure we can try an reduce exposure. Therefore attempting to slow the spread. But if you ask people that have tested positive where they got exposed at, most don't know. Or can only assume.

I'm glad people are passionate about this. I'm also frustrated that people are passionate about this. I don't see the same passion in other things that are just as likely to cause death. If people are truly driven to save lives, and not just caught up in the panic. Why don't we enact all these rules during flu season, people don't self quarantine with the flu, even though it can kill. How many people used to go to work when sick.."oh it's nothing bad, I'm fine". Now it's like everyone is on a 14 day quarantine, regardless of any tests (my wife was btw).
If we are concerned about life, how about we address the causes of lung disease, cardiac disease, diabetes, high blood pressure.. Mandate diet and exercise. How about we address distracted driving and DUIs. DUIs are like a disease, driving around, every car they pass is a potential victim. How about we address suicide, or veteran suicide. It's caused more death than covid. Or is it not news worthy enough.
I've seen allot of death in my life. More than most of you can imagine. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you do, how you live, precautions you take, your time is up when your time is up. And we have zero control of that..

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
Well said Greg. Puts in into perspective. If you drive drunk you could kill someone, if you smoke you could get cancer or have heart problems if you get Coronavirus who knows. Unknowns drive the bus on what the future holds.

Upvote 0

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
🖕🏿

Attachments

• 5B4B5013-0762-4369-83BC-E1B577B252EC.png
    5B4B5013-0762-4369-83BC-E1B577B252EC.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
CDC numbers as of 27 March
Cases 85356
Deaths 1246

i find it interesting that the numbers the news agencies “report” are over 100000?

one said, according to “a NY Times database “ Huh?

I’ll stick with the CDC numbers as they don’t seem to have any bias, the WHO numbers are lower yet, maybe lagging?

Reactions: Captain Decent
Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.
"Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"
Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."
He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"
Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and
pulls back the covers.
She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other.
She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."
The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly,
"Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very,
very, closely:
"Are - my - test - results - back?"

Upvote 0

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
The 2 main arguments I have heard for the shutdown coming directly from director Susewind are:

1 - Influx of people into remote communities, and the potential ramifications to those communities. He used clam dig's as an example, here a lot of people would relate to fisherman running the Westport Economy. Well there's a big concern that the influx of the virus from urban areas to remote areas with high %'s of at risk people (elderly) per capita and no real medical services available. Neah Bay and Forks come to mind with very limited medical facilities within dozens of miles. Also, eastern Washington communities and destination locations that would have a huge community draw... same problem... think MarDon and Pottholes... Not only are you spreading the virus to at risk areas, you're moving it around broadly, from hard hit urban areas to outlying areas. I mean common sense would dictate that this is the primary mechanism that the virus is spread at large (not fishing, just people moving from urban areas).

2 - Federal Requirements for monitoring and enforcement, with special appreciation for mixed stock fisheries that have ESA listed stock implications. At present this primarily effects PS Blackmouth, and Columbia River Springers, but the reach of ESA mixed stock opportunity is broad. In order for those fisheries to function there are federal requirements for oversight, monitoring, and enforcement. So we are going to make Billy Joe fish checker's dock job mandatory and require that he/she interact with the public at the dock just to keep fisheries open? Nah. And beyond that in season monitoring is taking place constantly behind the scenes in offices where techs, bios, and managers are working to enter data, crunch it, and produce models. There are far more cogs in the machine than are ever visible from the surface.

The combination of these two factors then raises a whole litany of questions at the state scale. How can they possibly be expected to analyze the potential impact of each and every fishery statewide? Then what, they'll just print an e-reg for those they deem dangerous? How much time does that analysis take? Who's doing said analysis? By the time we know what closes and what stays open is the pandemic even still happening? It's a ball of yarn.

I for one stand behind the state and their closure and am optimistic that we can get on top of this thing and get back out there with some meaningful opportunities still remaining.

Upvote 0

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
This is nuts! I love to fish as much as anyone of you but the death toll is too real to deny. This thing is fucking scary. I'd rather stay home for a while than risk exposing my family to this shit. I got plenty of fish in my freezer and plenty of crap to do around the house. See you all when it's over!

Upvote 0

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
WA
Name
Erik
Boat
unnamed
Im glad we are able to discuss our different opinions without being to butt hurt. We all have personal experiences, someone we knows experience, something we read, something we heard, the list goes on. But we are not expert's, even the experts admit they don't know everything about this. Some people get really sick and die, some get really sick and live. Some don't get sick at all.

The flawed thing in all this is the belief that somehow we are in control. We don't control who lives or who dies. Ya we have great modern day medicine that allows us to play God once in a while. Or does it?
Sure we can try an reduce exposure. Therefore attempting to slow the spread. But if you ask people that have tested positive where they got exposed at, most don't know. Or can only assume.

I'm glad people are passionate about this. I'm also frustrated that people are passionate about this. I don't see the same passion in other things that are just as likely to cause death. If people are truly driven to save lives, and not just caught up in the panic. Why don't we enact all these rules during flu season, people don't self quarantine with the flu, even though it can kill. How many people used to go to work when sick.."oh it's nothing bad, I'm fine". Now it's like everyone is on a 14 day quarantine, regardless of any tests (my wife was btw).
If we are concerned about life, how about we address the causes of lung disease, cardiac disease, diabetes, high blood pressure.. Mandate diet and exercise. How about we address distracted driving and DUIs. DUIs are like a disease, driving around, every car they pass is a potential victim. How about we address suicide, or veteran suicide. It's caused more death than covid. Or is it not news worthy enough.
I've seen allot of death in my life. More than most of you can imagine. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you do, how you live, precautions you take, your time is up when your time is up. And we have zero control of that..

The difference is that the other things don't have a clear actionable way to stop them, so we accept them. We have the potential to stop this virus. Stop new transmissions, flatten the curve, develop a vaccine. As far as deaths from diabetes, drunk driving, heart disease, if we knew we could stop all future deaths from those by shutting everything down for a few months until the causative agents expire or scientists develop a magic shot that ends deaths from those? Hell yeah, the world would be doing that in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
The difference is that the other things don't have a clear actionable way to stop them, so we accept them. We have the potential to stop this virus. Stop new transmissions, flatten the curve, develop a vaccine. As far as deaths from diabetes, drunk driving, heart disease, if we knew we could stop all future deaths from those by shutting everything down for a few months until the causative agents expire or scientists develop a magic shot that ends deaths from those? Hell yeah, the world would be doing that in a heartbeat.

The objective of flatten the curve is not to stop the disease. It is to slow the transmission rate so hospitals can keep up with the critically sick. There is no putting the genie back in the bottle. Every epidemiologists I have seen quoted claims 70% of the population is gonna catch this just like the flu. The vaccine is still a year away at best, we could all quarantine until then but we would be a third world economy by then. We could absolutely do concrete things about the other types of deaths if we cared. Government could reinstate prohibition and no more drunk drivers, tobacco could be outlawed tomorrow and eliminate its associated cancer deaths, we could choose to implement the same quarantines when seasonal flu hits and eliminate its 30-60K deaths a year. Government could confiscate all the guns and no more gun deaths. The original point was we have accepted those death rates and choose to live with them.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
The objective of flatten the curve is not to stop the disease. It is to slow the transmission rate so hospitals can keep up with the critically sick. There is no putting the genie back in the bottle. Every epidemiologists I have seen quoted claims 70% of the population is gonna catch this just like the flu. The vaccine is still a year away at best, we could all quarantine until then but we would be a third world economy by then. We could absolutely do concrete things about the other types of deaths if we cared. Government could reinstate prohibition and no more drunk drivers, tobacco could be outlawed tomorrow and eliminate its associated cancer deaths, we could choose to implement the same quarantines when seasonal flu hits and eliminate its 30-60K deaths a year. Government could confiscate all the guns and no more gun deaths. The original point was we have accepted those death rates and choose to live with them.

concur, sooner or later you have to get back to living life and let the chips fall. Btw I never ever get a flu shot and I’m high risk. You got to roll with it baby...

I hope that delaying it will give them a Chance to come up with a treatment. But I ain’t staying home for 6 more months.

Reactions: Captain Decent
Upvote 0

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
The other problem about "rolling with it" is we just don't know a lot about the viral progression yet. We don't even know for sure that people that have gotten better are "clearing" the virus, nor do we know that they have produced any real antibodies there of. There have been concerns of secondary infection, etc. They just don't know. We're all operating on the assumption that it is just another flu-type bug that runs it's course and you carry immunity for some period of time, we don't actually know that to be fact.

Too many unknowns right now.

Upvote 0

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
I think their story of too many people fishing shoulder to shoulder is a blatant lie! The agency head probably got pressure from the governor’s office and made some bullshit up to close the fishing!
I went fishing about two weeks ago on cowlitz it was literally shoulder to shoulder and boats so close I don’t think 6 feet separation lol

Reactions: G-Spot
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I went fishing about two weeks ago on cowlitz it was literally shoulder to shoulder and boats so close I don’t think 6 feet separation lol

funny! I would have never guessed... I stand corrected!

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Let's Just agree that I hope to hell everyone pulls through this and we are all better for having lived through the only pandemic in our lifetime...

Even though I disagree with some of you I would still tip a glass with you and save your ass from near certain death...

Attachments

• c08.png
      c08.png
      668.9 KB · Views: 118
    • bad-weather.jpg
      bad-weather.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 116
    • a60b3a9e516a7663f3fda62a937ebb65.jpg
      a60b3a9e516a7663f3fda62a937ebb65.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 113
    • u4h9ki52n3731.jpg
      u4h9ki52n3731.jpg
      132.6 KB · Views: 118
    Upvote 0

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    unnamed

If we come out with the vaccine we stop the virus, for good, while living our normal lives with no further disruption. Back to normal, virus gone, like a magic bullet. We have done it with many diseases in the past with a low mutation rate.

This is why the original point is flawed.

Would we be able to stop drinking for one year and develop a vaccine in the meantime, in which everyone can return to driving but becomes immune to vehicular deaths? If so, we would do it in a heartbeat yes. Same with guns. Same with tobacco.

That's the difference between this and all those other examples. This is a big but temporary sacrifice for a permanent solution. If we were to ban all guns/tobacco/cars, that sacrifice isn't temporary

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Let's Just agree that I hope to hell everyone pulls through this and we are all better for having lived through the only pandemic in our lifetime...

Even though I disagree with some of you I would still tip a glass with you and save your ass from near certain death...

Cheers to the day we can tip a glass! I would like to think this shits beatable.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I would agree the current measures and more are worth it if I thought we had any chance of eliminating this new coronavirus strain. But I think some basic facts would probably help folks shape their opinions.

What we call the common cold is caused by a variety of viruses, the two major families are the rhinovirus and the other is coronavirus. There are four coronavirus' that are endemic meaning widespread and commonly encountered. Our immune system is able to fight these viruses but we lose that immunity over time which is why we catch colds every year. It is very likely that we will also not maintain immunity to this new Coronavirus and we are very likely to see outbreaks seasonally just like the current cold and flu. There is no guarantee the vaccine being worked on will be effective or long lasting. One thing is for sure it will take at least a year to be available in large quantities. So having said all that it is very likely most of us will catch this new virus. As I already mentioned before the strategy of flatten the curve is to slow the infection rate as we add capacity to treat the critically ill. There is no plan to eliminate it. I pasted a link below if you want to do your own reading and in case you don't want to click the link I copied an excerpt from a PHD at John Hopkins.

There’s precedent for a coronavirus becoming endemic in the human population. Actually, there are four of them: 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1. All four of these coronaviruses cause symptoms of the common cold, and infections are most often fairly mild.

“We do know about other coronaviruses, it’s not like this is a virus that’s completely out of a new category,” says Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Health Security. “I think this will join those four other coronaviruses and have a similar pattern [of recurrence] after this first wave.”

As of right now, Adalja says, the novel coronavirus displays all the signs of sticking around. It’s widespread in the population, transmits from person to person easily and there’s no vaccine that could grant immunity ahead of an infection.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nosecrets
    Upvote 0