sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Since were talking numbers, maybe an internet wizard can tell us what the all-cause death rate is for age 70+, it’s a lot more than 200 per 100k

View attachment 1132446

Since I have time, the general death rate for 65+ is around 4.5%, see chart below from the CDC. Not a single death in Washington under the age of 40 from Covid19. Right now we are all locked down and destroying the economy. We could issue a lockdown order to those 60 and older and eliminate 95% of the fatalities and not significantly impact the economy, people not in this age group could also choose to self isolate if they have other risk factors or are just paranoid. I had thought/hoped the plan was to lock down to flatten the curve and allow hospitals to build up capacity before relaxing restrictions. I was wrong the only plan Jay has is to do more and longer lockdowns. It reminds me of the saying 'the beatings will continue until morale improves'.

1586558077612.png

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Since I have time, the general death rate for 65+ is around 4.5%, see chart below from the CDC. Not a single death in Washington under the age of 40 from Covid19. Right now we are all locked down and destroying the economy. We could issue a lockdown order to those 60 and older and eliminate 95% of the fatalities and not significantly impact the economy, people not in this age group could also choose to self isolate if they have other risk factors or are just paranoid. I had thought/hoped the plan was to lock down to flatten the curve and allow hospitals to build up capacity before relaxing restrictions. I was wrong the only plan Jay has is to do more and longer lockdowns. It reminds me of the saying 'the beatings will continue until morale improves'.

View attachment 1132509
Yeah it’s in the 5 to 10k per 100k range... kind of make you wonder why we’re worried about an extra 200... rounding error?

Reactions: sgwill122
Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours

View attachment 1132509
    Agree those over 60 have the right to choose for themselves therefore NO lockdown, only education and recommendations. You notice they have closed down the field hospitals in this state as there is no need. Our medical system handled the load.

Reactions: mrfish11 and G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Kool-Aid

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 18, 2008
    WA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    35 Carolina Classic
    Not feeling very excited that I just paid my annual Moorage at Westport last month. Dont think there’s a refund on that.

And god help us this weekend that Washingtonians stay put at home and not flood every public venue out there or we are going to see another conference with an extension yet another extension date.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Lockdown my ass....had to go to Tacoma today... actually got slowed down in traffic on hwy 16. Took the long way home from dock st and drove through Ruston..holy shit..packed with hundreds of people doing everything from picnics to jogging. Saw dozens of boats on the sound and a fair amount of kayaker's...so I can't fukin fish or camp and mind my own fukin business but people can congregate where ever the hell the want to...

I'm a pretty patient guy, but fuk this. The gloves are coming off. My boat hits the water in May. Come and get me...

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    On the bright side, the stay at home order is working. It looks like we are probably peaked out on new infections in the population-dense areas in western WA. What should follow is a slow decline (in infections, and probably our mental status for a bit). "Life" might get opened back up slowly, and I would think fishing should be on the early phase list of shit we can do.

We desperately need increased testing capabilities, so that we can "get back to normal life", but to do that we have to monitor for new infection hotspots (PCR and serology, which provide diffferent info). The goal would be to open things up, and then identify and jump on hotspots before they become a massive wildfire and overwhelm the hospital critical care capabilities. Normal life will look like lots and lots of testing. Some infections, but manageable.

We still don't have what we need in terms of testing, just to deal with sick people, much less monitor folks at large; feds got caught with their pants down, and decided back in Feb/March to make it a private industry issue, rather than take responsibility for public health, and private industry isn't designed to to be responsible for public health (shareholders and quarterly P&L's to mind). Huge supply side bottle neck with over-the-top global demand, so crazy inadequate testing.

So if you want to get back to "normal" lean on your elected officials to move some friggin mountains and get availability of testing ramped up 10x. Feds need to hold industry feet to the fire and mandate it with a brief timeline. And then ensure it happens, not just say it happened in a bullshit press conference.

fb

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    On the bright side, the stay at home order is working. It looks like we are probably peaked out on new infections in the population-dense areas in western WA. What should follow is a slow decline (in infections, and probably our mental status for a bit). "Life" might get opened back up slowly, and I would think fishing should be on the early phase list of shit we can do.

We desperately need increased testing capabilities, so that we can "get back to normal life", but to do that we have to monitor for new infection hotspots (PCR and serology, which provide diffferent info). The goal would be to open things up, and then identify and jump on hotspots before they become a massive wildfire and overwhelm the hospital critical care capabilities. Normal life will look like lots and lots of testing. Some infections, but manageable.

We still don't have what we need in terms of testing, just to deal with sick people, much less monitor folks at large; feds got caught with their pants down, and decided back in Feb/March to make it a private industry issue, rather than take responsibility for public health, and private industry isn't designed to to be responsible for public health (shareholders and quarterly P&L's to mind). Huge supply side bottle neck with over-the-top global demand, so crazy inadequate testing.

So if you want to get back to "normal" lean on your elected officials to move some friggin mountains and get availability of testing ramped up 10x. Feds need to hold industry feet to the fire and mandate it with a brief timeline. And then ensure it happens, not just say it happened in a bullshit press conference.

fb

Increased testing will just inflate the numbers. CDC says just stay home and quarantine if you suspect you have it and seek medical assistance only if you are seriously ill. Not sure what good testing will do with this approach. If they “open life back up” won’t it just spread again and kill the millions the models claim?

Nope just keep it locked down until the disease goes away or they get the vaccine. If it saves one life it will be worth it. I believe this is the national motto right now isn’t it?

Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    I agree that massive testing is the answer. If you want to know the quantity of something, you need to measure it. Basic science. Contact your reps, hound them. If South Korea can do it, we should be able to in the year 2020.

Upvote 0