Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    WDFW closes recreational fishing statewide in wake of governor's order to 'Stay Home, Stay Healthy' in response to COVID-19

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced its decision to temporarily close recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide in the wake of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19.

The closures will begin at midnight Wednesday, March 25 and last until at least 5 p.m. on April 8, 2020. WDFW will re-evaluate on April 6 whether the closure may need to be extended.

"This is not a decision we take lightly, but it's the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington's families," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "Monday's extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect."

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

"We've seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside," said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. "We've had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor's direction to stay home and practice social distancing."

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state's marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

WDFW and other state agencies previously closed all of their water access sites, including boat launches, and other public lands where people may gather. Local and tribal governments are taking similar actions across Washington.

WDFW Enforcement officers remain on duty and will be enforcing these new closures.

The lowland lakes opening day for trout remains scheduled for April 25, but will be evaluated depending on whether the governor's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order might be further extended.

For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response, please visit https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Idiots. Even if people are out, of hey can be distant. Chicken Little mentality.

But go ahead and buy pot and lottery tickets...

Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    Sucks. But now maybe everyone can stop bickering about what launches are open and how they should be exempt from this whole deal because they have gas in their boat.
    stay home, tie some leaders, fix your trailer lights, and don’t fish for two weeks. Don’t fuck it up. At least this shit isn’t happening mid summer. Halibut opens soon for godsake.
    sure you can be socially distant on your own boat, but unfortunately they have to pander to the lowest common denominator and not leave any gray room and make this harder on the few enforcement officers out there.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Fhut the Wuck!

And yet:
    FILING ORGANIZATION: NOOKSACK INDIAN TRIBE
    AFFECTED ORGANIZATIONS: WDFW, NWIFC, LUMMI NATION, SWINOMISH, TULALIP, SUQUAMISH, PNPTC
    REGULATION NUMBER: 20-06
    DATE ADOPTED: MARCH 25, 2020
    REGULATION SUPERSEDED/MODIFIED: NONE
    CATCH AREA: REGION 1: AREAS 20A, 20B, 21A, 21B, 22A, AND 22B
    FISHERY TYPE: CEREMONIAL & SUBSISTENCE
    SPECIES: PACIFIC HALIBUT
    EFFECTIVE DATES: OPEN: 7:00 AM THURSDAY, MARCH 26, 2020
    CLOSE: 7:00 PM, THURSDAY, APRIL 9, 2020

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Screenshot_20200325-170628_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
    Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I’ll give them till the 8th
    But I’m afraid that the people that run this state are enjoying their newfound power a little too much. There is only one reason for this, jay told you to stay home and you didn’t. Does not matter how safe you are.

I understand WP does not want a couple thousand tourists wandering the streets but the Everett boat launch? Really? Or those that have their boats moored?

I’m throwing the bullshit flag!

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Quit looking for a gray area. Its black and white. No such thing as an honor system apparently. They announce theres an outbreak and every retard in washington heads to Alki, west beach and loads up all of the state parks. Then they again say its a shelter in place and leave a giant gray area. As opportunists we all look for ways to stay entertained and think were just on a mandatory 2 week vacation. How bout, take it serious. I too questioned what was acceptable but the reality of the situation at hand is we can bite the bullet and stay in our own bubbles for 2 weeks and sustain a chance the economy will stay strong and we dont lose people or we push the envelope and continue recreating as if this is a vacation, let it go on for months if not years, say goodbye to alot of our family members and friends and be in poverty when its finally done. Rule number 1 in life is DONT BE DUMB, rule number 2 DONT BREAK RULE NUMBER 1. Its really up to everyone to do the right thing. Were all gonna suffer in one way but instead of bitchin about this, think of all of the people who have been laid off for weeks that work shit jobs to make ends meet who barely survived financially prior to being told to go home. Good time to clean out your freezers, those pink salmon and freezer burnt years old broken seal fish could feed someone in need. Spend time with your family and kids, go thru all of the extra clothes you dont need and donate. Its 2 weeks as of now. Turn this into something meaningful to share with your kids. I intend to help where i can with what i can. As for the tribes fishing, BULLSHIT!

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    Here’s another take on this... not much freshwater fishing right now... blackmouth is still open, which means they need fish checkers out... no fishing means no need for fish checkers... how come they aren’t closing hunting also... maybe they should have just closed blackmouth... this is all about ESA the rest is just BS spin

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Sucks. But now maybe everyone can stop bickering about what launches are open and how they should be exempt from this whole deal because they have gas in their boat.
    stay home, tie some leaders, fix your trailer lights, and don’t fish for two weeks. Don’t fuck it up. At least this shit isn’t happening mid summer. Halibut opens soon for godsake.
    sure you can be socially distant on your own boat, but unfortunately they have to pander to the lowest common denominator and not leave any gray room and make this harder on the few enforcement officers out there.
    Love the sarcasm! The Lowest Common Denominator Club found their poster children on BD! BWAHAHAHAHA

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Quit looking for a gray area. Its black and white. No such thing as an honor system apparently. They announce theres an outbreak and every retard in washington heads to Alki, west beach and loads up all of the state parks. Then they again say its a shelter in place and leave a giant gray area. As opportunists we all look for ways to stay entertained and think were just on a mandatory 2 week vacation. How bout, take it serious. I too questioned what was acceptable but the reality of the situation at hand is we can bite the bullet and stay in our own bubbles for 2 weeks and sustain a chance the economy will stay strong and we dont lose people or we push the envelope and continue recreating as if this is a vacation, let it go on for months if not years, say goodbye to alot of our family members and friends and be in poverty when its finally done. Rule number 1 in life is DONT BE DUMB, rule number 2 DONT BREAK RULE NUMBER 1. Its really up to everyone to do the right thing. Were all gonna suffer in one way but instead of bitchin about this, think of all of the people who have been laid off for weeks that work shit jobs to make ends meet who barely survived financially prior to being told to go home. Good time to clean out your freezers, those pink salmon and freezer burnt years old broken seal fish could feed someone in need. Spend time with your family and kids, go thru all of the extra clothes you dont need and donate. Its 2 weeks as of now. Turn this into something meaningful to share with your kids. I intend to help where i can with what i can. As for the tribes fishing, BULLSHIT!

What do you think will happen in two weeks?

Upvote 0