JGlass77

Dec 19, 2020
Oxnard
Name
James Glass
Boat
Parker 2510
What up!

I am planning a vacation at the end of August on the big island of Hawaii on the Kona coast and wanted to get a few recommendations on a Charter boat. Please let me know if any of you know of a few great captains that will put me game fish.

James

Reactions: Mick Dodge

Smokedpig

Aug 24, 2018
Northern California
Name
Steve
Boat
None
I’m no expert, but I have gone fishing with Captain Stretch on the Hula Girl a couple times and he and his deckhand Cole are awesome. Both times I’ve taken my young son and they have been great with him as well.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Most will give you enough filets to feed your fam. However, most say the catch belongs to the boat and they sell the fish for additional revenue.

FWIW, a couple years ago I did a 4hr charter with C-Hawk. Small aluminum hull with no head, but a really short trip so I figured it would be ok. Charter costs less than the big sportfishers, too. Since I was with my 8 year old, billfish wasn't the target. Instead, we fished chunk bait for tuna, rainbows, etc. Never was an issue for us to be handling the rods and we had a great time. Perhaps the closest thing to SoCal style fishing minus live bait. We were offered as much of the catch as we wanted. I took just half the filets from a single 15lb-ish YFT and it was plenty. The setup isn't for everyone but if it fits your idea of a good time, I highly recommend.

Upvote 0

untensan

Almost A Member
    Jan 30, 2010
    Kealakekua
    Name
    Terry
    Boat
    21' Seacat CC
    Hope they let you take the rod out of the gunnel rod holders... I've read most charters in HI don't?
    Think of the economics of what you want to do... IIRC, a Penn International 130 runs about $1200. Add a decent rod and line. You're up to almost $2000. If the rod "slips" out of your hands when you're transferring to the fighting chair, the best case scenario is for the gear to slam into the fiberglass and go into the saltwater, hanging by the clipped harness lug. The captain would then have to get the fiberglass repaired and overhaul the rod and reel.

Now imagine this happened to the guy on a charter before you. Would you be willing to take a chance on the "fish of a lifetime" on an overhauled rod and reel setup?

Option B is to put a deposit (say around $5000) so if the original scenario happened to you, you would lose the deposit. The deposit would buy you the saltwater filled rod and reel, as well as cover the boat repair.

I understand the thrill of going after an IGFA record. It's just that you have to accept the liability, IMHO.

Reactions: grander007
    Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Hi all - let me please clear up something - all professional boats in Kona that I know will allow the rod to be transferred to the chair and in fact unless it is an IGFA tournament or the customer is experienced and requests it, the deck hand transfers the rod. Usually, there is a safety line long enough to reach the chair.

Also, the prices for a 1/2, 3/4 or full day in Kona or alot cheaper when you compare similar boats to anywhere in the world. They sell their catch, and now, they will usually not cut a large fish, for example large ahi, to provide meat to customers. If you feel strongly about that you should ask first. Mahis, onos, smaller ahis / shibis, some have some leeway. Larger fish and even mahis, ono etc are sold at auction to assist in defraying costs. Most boats owners I know are lucky to break even after all costs.

I used to recommend Neal Isaacs, Anxious. Neal has passed on to the great 1,000 curve in the sky and I know recommend Tony Clark, 808 895 2133. If his boat is not available, he can recommend a good one. There are more than a few good ones in Kona.

Good luck & tight lines,

Reactions: JGlass77
    Upvote 0

JGlass77

Dec 19, 2020
    Oxnard
    Name
    James Glass
    Boat
    Parker 2510
    Hi all - let me please clear up something - all professional boats in Kona that I know will allow the rod to be transferred to the chair and in fact unless it is an IGFA tournament or the customer is experienced and requests it, the deck hand transfers the rod. Usually, there is a safety line long enough to reach the chair.

Also, the prices for a 1/2, 3/4 or full day in Kona or alot cheaper when you compare similar boats to anywhere in the world. They sell their catch, and now, they will usually not cut a large fish, for example large ahi, to provide meat to customers. If you feel strongly about that you should ask first. Mahis, onos, smaller ahis / shibis, some have some leeway. Larger fish and even mahis, ono etc are sold at auction to assist in defraying costs. Most boats owners I know are lucky to break even after all costs.

I used to recommend Neal Isaacs, Anxious. Neal has passed on to the great 1,000 curve in the sky and I know recommend Tony Clark, 808 895 2133. If his boat is not available, he can recommend a good one. There are more than a few good ones in Kona.

Good luck & tight lines,
    Thanks for the recommendation, I booked with Tony Clark. I will let you know how it goes.

James

Upvote 0

Efren Perez

Jun 17, 2015
    Name
    Efren Perez
    Boat
    Livingston
    I agree with Pitchinwedge.Capt Craig Hawkins does a good job for the way he fishes.Used him a few years back before he got his new aluminum boat from a member from another site.He also lets you keep what you catch not like most charters and doesn't break the bank.

Upvote 0

JGlass77

Dec 19, 2020
    Oxnard
    Name
    James Glass
    Boat
    Parker 2510
    Follow up from original post.

I fished a full day with Kona Fishing Charters, on the Mauna Loa.

Super Stoked! John and Joe did an excellent job and put me on a 300lb Blue Marlin.

Just to clear things up it is true that most boats don't let you keep your catch. But speaking with Joe about that he mentioned that their boats stopped keeping fish because it was bad for return business. Now that a lot of their customers are staying in Air B & B, they want to eat there catch.

Also, as for pulling the rod out of the gunnel to fight the fish, I fought the fish in the chair. Not sure I would want to fight a marlin standing up on a 130 wide bent butt rod any way. In the afternoon we trolled for wahoo with lighter gear all though we didn't hook up, It was no problem for me to hold the rod out of the gunnel or leave it in the rod holders.

So to sum it up. I highly recommend the Mauna Loa fishing with John & Joe! Boat was clean and well maintained. To top it off Joe had multiple GOPRO's and put together a super nice short video. Both had a wealth of knowledge of fishing the Kona coast.

James

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3492.PNG

Reactions: Mex808 and Tom123
    Upvote 0