2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
i'm new to the conventional rod and reel. i have a 113hn on an offshore angler rod w/40# mono. i will be going over to catalina in a few weeks to do a lil camping with the family in two harbors. where is the best place to fish? should i rent a boat? and finally how should i set up my rod? thanks in advance.

Firebird

Apr 15, 2007
OC
Name
Chris
Boat
19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne
Fishing's terrible around Catalina. You'll hate it.

yknot

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2007
Garden Grove
Name
Grady
Boat
None
New to the convential stuff? That mean you have spinners? Lighter gear? What you have there is really too heavy I think right now, in a few months, you're good, but right now, it's all light stuff for perch, small calico's maybe bonito in a few weeks, but it's tough fishing. Go fishing to relax, don't expect much. Have fun and enjoy it

pez

Aug 27, 2007
san clemente
Name
pez
Boat
34,mainship pilot, Malolo
2strokepoke,

Like others have said, your equipment is way to heavy and the water temp this time of year makes fishing pretty tough. If you can find a boat to rent you can use your gear to troll for mackerel or bonita or you can drift for bottom fish with a dropper loop or carolina rig. But really, you should round up a lighter rig that's really easy to cast and fish fresh dead or frozen squid or anchovy for bait. Try throwing a lead head with a plastic swim bait or maybe a chrome spoon.

If your on the beach try walking over to Cat Harbor on the other side of the island and out to one of the points and casting from there, or off the dinghy dock when there is tidal movement. In the past, I've had some luck on Yellow Fin Crocker, Sand Bass and an occasional Calico. Bring some needle nose pliers or some way to release your unwanted catch unharmed.

But the best advice I've read was to relax and enjoy. The island is beautiful this time of year.

Good luck!

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
i have smaller gear which i will probably be taking now, thanks to help of you guys. i have a my jetty pole with 15# line. any suggestions on swim baits?