Fishing boat upgrade

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
Well , I have a 17 ft whaler that I love , but my kids are growing , and so is the rest of my family . I had it narrowed down to farallon , bamf , and rogue jet boat works , but I just don’t see the hype or the price for the farallon , and after reading a thread on here about bamf ... yeah idk anymore, rogue jet boat works seems cool but still iffy on that kinda money for aluminum .

I want something stout, not gonna leave me swimming with jaws , I wanna chase tuna even if the family doesn’t .

the guys on this forum seem to know there shit ! I’ve been a Grady fan my whole life but as I’ve gotten older I want more of a pilot house style and preferably manufactured on the west coast , I see Parker left n right which is kind of a turn off , I’m not a follower , however if they are tried n true then they are worth a look ...

My questions are basically , has bamf improved their quality control ? Or don’t waste my time ? Is there a better aluminum hull out there ? Or a better west coast hull ?
I’m guessing you guys up north deal with some nasty stuff , so me heading to the farallon s if sf on a 30’ day is no big compared to what you see in your hood . Thanks for all input

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Find yourself a used Davis Rock Harbor or Farallon either with outboards or a diesel depending on preference. BAMF are piles of crap and the company has been shown not to stand by their work. They knocked off Davis and others and are eerily similar to the quality and style of the company that bought and ruined the Davis hulls after Harold sold the business. And as far as the aluminum jet boat goes unless you’re in inland waters or need the shallow draft jets are a garbage way to get around. Super inefficient and bad handling.

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
Find yourself a used Davis Rock Harbor or Farallon either with outboards or a diesel depending on preference. BAMF are piles of crap and the company has been shown not to stand by their work. They knocked off Davis and others and are eerily similar to the quality and style of the company that bought and ruined the Davis hulls after Harold sold the business. And as far as the aluminum jet boat goes unless you’re in inland waters or need the shallow draft jets are a garbage way to get around. Super inefficient and bad handling.
I have never heard of those Davis boats but after googling , oh yeah that’s a boat to hunt for !
As far as aluminum goes ... I wasn’t trying to get a jet boat , that’s just the name of the company . Ty much for the input , I read the thread about the bamf , just sucks , thought I had it narrowed down

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
If you’re serious about a great family boat buy a Davis Rock Harbor and don’t ever look back. Best seakeeping platform of any boat in its class. And the diesel models have the range to really go anywhere. Plenty of guys have navigated around baja in them and even down to puerto Vallarta where you’ll see 1 or 2 now.

Reactions: Pabsttumbleweed

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I've spent the last 6 months boat shopping for my first boat....I started with trailer boats and I found the skipjack 262 to have best compromise between cruising and fishing! I stepped on maybe 5 of them including the skipjack 25. Beam is only 8'6, skipjack 25 is 8'. While davis boats do have a strong following they don't really come close to a skipjack with regards to amenities. Also 8'6 beam I think, but no flybridge so probably less tippy. This is all hypothetical speech as I've never been out on either. I noticed Davis and farrallon are very fisherman friendly boats.

I was all game for one these three boats until I stepped on a a few boats with 11+ foot beam and quickly decided I needed a wider and bigger boat.

alex88

May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
Farallons are made in Sacramento and are a very well made semi custom boat. If you are looking at a pilothouse, look at Steigercraft boats. I believe they are built better or at least equal to a Parker and there is no step down into the cabin. The Chesapeake model has the enclosed back wall with door, but the Miami models have an open back to the deck and are perfect for the west coast. I ended up picking up a used Robalo WA from Florida and rebuilt it instead of buying new. I don’t regret it, I love the Robalo but if I did it over again hands down I would get the 23 Miami.

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
Farallon is made a block and a half from my work , I’ve seen them 3 times ... and I’m sorry but I just don’t see 220k worth of boat staring back at me . I’d love to support a west coast co as well as a NorCal biz , but I don’t just have spare money laying around . And truthfully the bamf25 excursion I was looking at was right up my alley but don’t wanna have issues n tow it back to Washington just to get arrested cuz of bad customer service . Lol . There’s a 95 osprey that was for sale on this site with an outboard that really spoke to me but bank won’t finance a boat that old . So I’m gonna check out the skip jack and the Davis . Only aluminum boats in this fight right now are kingfisher , north river and rogue ... I see lots during crab season , but if I get a wild hair and wanna blast off to the farallons for rock fish I don’t want to be limited . If I want to chase tuna , I want to be able to do it .
The Davis boats look like very capable vessels , but I’d prefer outboards so I’ll prob be looking at a conversion at some point . All your reply’s are greatly appreciated, giving me lots of ideas

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
I've spent the last 6 months boat shopping for my first boat....I started with trailer boats and I found the skipjack 262 to have best compromise between cruising and fishing! I stepped on maybe 5 of them including the skipjack 25. Beam is only 8'6, skipjack 25 is 8'. While davis boats do have a strong following they don't really come close to a skipjack with regards to amenities. Also 8'6 beam I think, but no flybridge so probably less tippy. This is all hypothetical speech as I've never been out on either. I noticed Davis and farrallon are very fisherman friendly boats.

I was all game for one these three boats until I stepped on a a few boats with 11+ foot beam and quickly decided I needed a wider and bigger boat.
Comparing a skipjack to a Davis is like a Honda to a Ferrari. Skipjacks aren’t nearly as good in the same conditions a Davis will plow through. They’re all much older and super rare to find one with an outboard compared to the numerous Davis outboard conversions and age.

Farallon is made a block and a half from my work , I’ve seen them 3 times ... and I’m sorry but I just don’t see 220k worth of boat staring back at me . I’d love to support a west coast co as well as a NorCal biz , but I don’t just have spare money laying around . And truthfully the bamf25 excursion I was looking at was right up my alley but don’t wanna have issues n tow it back to Washington just to get arrested cuz of bad customer service . Lol . There’s a 95 osprey that was for sale on this site with an outboard that really spoke to me but bank won’t finance a boat that old . So I’m gonna check out the skip jack and the Davis . Only aluminum boats in this fight right now are kingfisher , north river and rogue ... I see lots during crab season , but if I get a wild hair and wanna blast off to the farallons for rock fish I don’t want to be limited . If I want to chase tuna , I want to be able to do it .
The Davis boats look like very capable vessels , but I’d prefer outboards so I’ll prob be looking at a conversion at some point . All your reply’s are greatly appreciated, giving me lots of ideas
There have been quite a few Davis boats converted to outboard a but I think the diesel inboard is far superior. I wouldn’t buy any boat new unless I had the money to burn. They lose value instantly and you take the hit verse buying someone else’s used boat. If you go to look at skipjacks expect a big project when it comes to most of them. And they don’t even come close to comparing to the ride of a Davis. Goodluck!

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
Yeah , the Davis look up my alley , and outboard preference is due to my mechanical abilities I know nothing about diesels . Ty so much fellas , I now have my heading !

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
If you like aluminum, check out Stabicraft. No dealer in CA though.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
I have both a Farallon (27 whaleback) and Radon (27 LRB). Both ride VERY well and are stable platforms. The pilothouse, IMO, is a must!

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
The new Farallons seem more spartan ala a Parker. The older seem to be more of that heavy commercial build. In this order depending on budget
Float Tube/Kayak
Skippy
Farallon (classic)
Davis
Radon
Expedition Yacht with helo

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
Yeah I see the new ones and see a shell of a boat for 220 k and up .
What years do you consider classic for the farallon ? I found one with an inboard and direct drive , but looks like well used vessel .

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
The new Farallons seem more spartan ala a Parker. The older seem to be more of that heavy commercial build. In this order depending on budget
Float Tube/Kayak
Skippy
Farallon (classic)
Davis
Radon
Expedition Yacht with helo
Suffice to day, can't go wrong w a Radon 😎

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Davis Rock Harbor Short Cabin "Full Box"
I have a Rock Harbor and find it to be the perfect boat. I go back and forth on converting to outboards when my KAD43 dies. I will probably stay diesel I/o because the boat was designed for it. If you are serious, I would plan to wait a couple years for one to come available and be ready to pull the trigger when it does. Get the layout you want, and make it into the boat you want after you have it. I prefer the short cabin, but if I was cruising the long cabin is quite nice inside. Call Harold Davis, he knows what’s up with every boat he ever built.

Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
I’m told they ride incredibly rough in NorCal waters . But they are on my radar , I’m looking meticulously . And doing research . Checked out an older farallon , and that boat was whispering sweet nothings into my ear , but it was way too much involved with the boat so I walked away .

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Davis Rock Harbor Short Cabin "Full Box"
I’m told they ride incredibly rough in NorCal waters . But they are on my radar , I’m looking meticulously . And doing research . Checked out an older farallon , and that boat was whispering sweet nothings into my ear , but it was way too much involved with the boat so I walked away .
What rides rough? A Davis? You only hear that from people who don’t own them or can’t afford them. Push the tabs down and it will plow through anything faster than anyone around you. They are heavy, solid boats. Sometimes I have to turn the wipers on, and when it’s cold I close the door. And when it’s time to come home, and the seas are big and close, I retract the tabs and ride just as fast and stable downhill, autopilot on, and never even think about broaching. Best hull design there is for rough water WITH significant swells.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
I’m told they ride incredibly rough in NorCal waters . But they are on my radar , I’m looking
Sorry , yes the Davis . Like I said I’m still looking . But truth be told , budget determines all
The old saying: you get what you pay for is 100% true. Quality costs $. Just ask any Farallon, Davis or Radon owner 😎

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I am looking at a few boats, those are all on my radar. Stabicraft 2750 seems very interesting and i very well may go that route. But first Im trying for a 31 bertram or maybe even the 25. Unless that perfect in pricerange Radon, rock Harbor, or Davis comes up... Anyone own a Hoku? They seem legit for the price!