Fishing bass. & bugs at Izors Sat. Night

Discussion in 'Southern CA Private Boater Inshore Trip Planning' started by Frijolez, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Heading out to Izors to fish some bass and lobster Saturday night, for Super Bowl fish fry and lobster jalapeno poppers.
    I usually fish 5 to 7 inch plastics on a one and a half ounce leadhead but have been reading that the leadhead and squid combo is working better?
    I guess I am ignorant but I am wondering what the difference is exactly? I am only going to pull traps once every other hour and use salmon head and macks.
    Decided to take the opportunity and ask if anyone had any advice?
    I fish 65# braid to 40 or 50 pound top shot on colors like Halloween and burnt toast. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    I leave the fishing gear at home when I go out for a night bug trip. I'm either fishing or I'm bugging. Maybe it's because my rigs smaller but every time I bring fishing gear it's in the way.
    Plus most of my bugging is in rougher water. Always moving.
    Otherwise swim baits w squid teaser. go for it can't hurt

Frijolez likes this.
  3. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    I agree, if I did not put on a tower with the room for 16 rods earlier this last year. The plan was to take the hoops out, drop them, and forget about them until we got on the fish.
    In my humble opinion, there is nothing better than to have a good night of fishing, or even a mediocre night of fishing, or even a bad night, then if you could pull five traps with five or six bugs after that, I call that cream on the pie. I love to cream on a pie!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a Florida man living in SoCal

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    Never night fished Izors but during the day I have been having great success using 10 ounce bottom jigs that are chrome flake in color. Find the fish on your FF and mark the spot and then position ahead of and drift over it. I use the 10 ounce jigs because I get less bycatch and less small bass only nice sized keepers.

The bass are really current oriented so they will usually be only on one side of the structure and you have to bring the jig down that side during the drift. This is the primary reason I dont drop anchor. Drifting is more productive and less work for me besides driving the boat.

More times that not I catch a nice bass while dropping the jig on the spot so cranking up 1/3 and dropping again has been more productive than just going to structure and actually "jigging."

Depending on your drift speed you might only get one fish per structure without having to reposition and drift again.

If you take your time and go over the area while marking your spots that hold fish you can really set up a awesome drift with 3 or 4 spots in a row. This has worked best for me because alot of the time there are nice bass in between areas of bottom structure that dont even show up on the FF because they are holding areas just off the line of drift.

Izors is awesome because it has so many different structure spots that hold fish. Try them all. Some spots are more productive at different times and conditions than others.

I have caught bass using leadheads with plastics but the big chrome jig seems to work better. I avoid squid because then every other fish trys to bite it and you end up with unwanted bycatch or stolen bait.

hotrail20 and Frijolez like this.
  5. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    Really? 10 oz jigs! Ok, I'm gonna try that out. Actually, I am going to let my brother try that out and tell him that is the hot ticket! If it works, everyone will be happy, especially him, and if not we will fish the plastics.
    Izors, as many people know is littered with old street light poles and stuff like that. Beta from Charkbait tells me they call it the anchor graveyard, and I must agree because 75% of the time I have fished there on the hook, I have had to spend a great deal of time, strength, patience, and effort on getting that anchor back! We will see how it goes and I will post a report, even though not many people care about sandies... I'm not going to lie, for the distance I need to travel, they are fun as hell to catch at Izors!

6. duckbutter6a

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    Yeah i lose tackle there alot. If you do jig dont let it sit on bottom or drag on structure or your gonna get it stuck.

Jig of choice is the Assault Diamond Jig. Color is Silver flash. I havent tried anything larger than 10 ounces. Their 8 and 6 ounce jig works well but nets smaller bass as well as macs and such

Frijolez likes this.
  7. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Only checking your nets every other hour? Gonna miss out on a lot of bugs.

Frijolez likes this.
  8. duckbutter6a

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    Shhhhh that's more for us o_O

Frijolez likes this.
  9. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    I know, I know! My brother insisted on bringing at least five hoops and I figured the more times you drop, the more times you're likely to get stuck!
    Trust me, when I bug I like to pull every 20 minutes or so!