Fishing Aboard the “AGUJA” at Cebaco Bay, Panama, March 3-March 6, 2018

Discussion in 'Central America Fishing Reports' started by tap, Mar 12, 2018.

1. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    It’s no secret that the owner of Cebaco Bay Sportfishing Lodge, Capt. Jim Wiese, is a marlin fanatic and his private state-of-the-art 60’ Viking is a testimony to his dedication to the sport. I was invited to fish with Wiese for four days after my group departed but on second thought he had room for two more guests and those spots filled quickly as Kevin Green and Todd K. re-scheduled their COPA flight to join us. They were excited to say the least. “Even if we don’t catch a fish just being on this boat is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me,” said Green. We were joined by Wiese’s son Kyle, Don Rogers, Evon Ortiz and crew Ariel Medina and Martin Calles.

Our first stop the next morning was at one of Wiese’s private FADs (Fish Aggregating Devices) positioned in over 1000’ of water near the Cebaco Bank. Nothing showed here so we moved over to Isla Jicarita where some birds were working over dolphin and Todd picked up a 42 lb. yellowfin tuna on a popper. Wrong kind of fish so we ran up to the Hannibal Bank which had just a few sport boats working it which is unusual for this popular spot. There were very few birds and even less baitfish (black skipjack) to be seen. At 4:30 p.m. just at high tide we had a black marlin strike the skipjack (called “bonito” locally) but we missed the hook-up using a Mustad 20/0 circle hook. Wiese has found that the gap on this hook fits the jaw of big marlin very well and he is after big marlin. We anchored for the night (and ensuing two nights) at Bahia Hermosa at Isla Coiba. Night fishing just turned up large sting rays while we were hoping for cubera snapper. Fresh sashimi and drinks were served on the fighting chair “bar” and there were plenty of ribs, steaks, chops, and fish to last two weeks not including all the ice cream and snacks you could eat.

We spent the next three days mostly at the Hannibal Bank, but checked out Isla Montuosa and Jicaron, as well. Several marlin were raised with a big 700 lb’er almost hitting the transom chasing down one of our live skippies before tossing it in the air like a toy. We were all stunned that it could avoid getting hooked. That was our closest encounter with marlin. Even so, in-between “marlin time” there was some pretty good popping and jigging for yellowfin tuna, black jack, sierra mackerel, amberjack, Peruvian jack and jack crevalle. Wiese was disappointed with the marlin action but we all had a great time telling our best jokes and stories, enjoying the boat and its air-conditioned cabin, among its many amenities, and the great tropical scenery that Panama has to offer. Thanks again to Capt. Jim Wiese and crew, until we fish again.

SUMMARY
    Fish Caught: 47 Species: 7
    Sea: Calm Water: 81-85.6 degrees Air: 92-94 degrees

"Aguja" alongside the "Journey Bay"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hannibal Bank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Isla Montuosa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nomad Lure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom Line, karlk1125 and ScaleyOne like this.
  2. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Sick!!!

3. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    nice report hope the action picks up when we go down in May.

4. budman

budman Member

Name:
    Capt John Maynard U.S.C.G. Licensed
    Boat:
    23' Whaler & 32 Black-Fin sport fisher
    Hi Tony, Kyle and crew,

There is so much bait in the water right now around Hannibal and Montusoa the fish seem to be really picky. I hear from many skippers daily this is a common problem but stiil there are marlin working the bigger baits. Kyle, Jim and the crew will find them for sure. Soon it will turn to the "wide open " bite. Good luck.

5. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    Thanks for sharing!! Looks like a great time, I love getting them on the popper.

6. PheasantHunter

PheasantHunter Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    WishIHadOne
    Thanks for the report and photos.

7. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Jimmy Russel
    Boat:
    29' Seavee
    Great report

8. Jay Warner

Jay Warner Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    24 Triton LTS
    Great report as usual Tony. I hope to catch up with Jim and his set up sometime this year to check it out in person and see how cool it really is. I've seen it all from afar but would like to hang out for a bit to experience some of that vibe.