Fishing 60lb and over (flat fall and sinker rig)... ??

Hoeyfashoey

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2019
Pasadena
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Hey BD. A few questions because I’ve never fished over 40 lb

1) at what line test do you start crimping line?

2) in your experience, is an RP knot for braid to mono/floro at line ratings in excess of 60lb reliable?

3) is a 3 turn surgeons knot a reliable knot for connecting mono to floro this heavy?

4) How many of you use a mono top shot with line this heavy for flat fall/sinker rig ?

5) favorite knot tying solid braid to heavy swivels that are crimped

pic it helps I’ll be using a talica 20 with straight solid izor braid to the brim. Thanks

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
From my experience messing around with knots, a wet and properly sinched palomar knot has the most strength for braid to swivel

Reactions: Larry S
Hoeyfashoey
Hoeyfashoey
Nice. Have you messed with Palomar vs double San Diego for braid to swivel?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Most of the flatfall set ups for big blufin are rigged with heavy mono or fluro, often 125lb, 150lb or even 200lb. They are almost always crimped. Usually there is a solid ring or swivel on the end and all you have to worry about is tying your spectra to the ring.
If you are fishing a 60lb or 80lb outfit for bait you can just use straight spectra with a fluro leader. Some people like a mono topshot but others prefer straight spectra to fluro. If you use straight spectra to fluro you can use a short leader like 5ft or 6ft or a longer leader like 15ft or 18ft but it can get expensive with heavy line. The RP knot is fine to connect your spectra to fluro but a lot of people have switched over to the FG knot. It takes a little while to learn to tie it but it is a very good knot.
If you are going to connect mono to fluro you can use the Seaguar knot. It will work but I usually skip the mono so you have one less knot to worry about. Most of the guys fishing a sinker rig just use a regular bait setup and just attach the sinker with a rubber band. You can also just tie a flatfall on the end of your 80lb outfit and it will work if the fish are not too big. If there are big fish around like 150lbs or more then you want a heavy leader on your flatfall so you don't get chewed off.
If you are not sure about something just ask one of the deckhands. They will help you with knots, connections etc. and they will get you set up properly.

Upvote 0

SlowSinker

Keep it candid
  • Dec 21, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Bass
    Boat
    None
    I like using the RP for all of my braid to fluoro/mono connections. A few things I've learned in my time using it are as your leader goes up in size you want to use LESS wraps than more, with larger lines there is more surface area for the braid to cinch down on so using less wraps will make it easier to get the knot to seat properly. The braid also cinches from the top down if that makes any sense so you want push the braid towards where the braid exits the leader loop so there isn't a large gap in the mono/fluoro for the braid to escape. The biggest thing for me is wetting the knot and having a good set of knot pullers especially for bigger lines. It can be hard to get that braid to cinch down to the loop so having some knot pullers is a huge help. John Collins, the man himself, recommends using them for tying the RP. If any of that was confusing DM me and I'll try to break it down a little better. The FG mentioned by Mike is also a great knot. Just go with what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Hey BD. A few questions because I’ve never fished over 40 lb

1) at what line test do you start crimping line?

2) in your experience, is an RP knot for braid to mono/floro at line ratings in excess of 60lb reliable?

3) is a 3 turn surgeons knot a reliable knot for connecting mono to floro this heavy?

4) How many of you use a mono top shot with line this heavy for flat fall/sinker rig ?

5) favorite knot tying solid braid to heavy swivels that are crimped

pic it helps I’ll be using a talica 20 with straight solid izor braid to the brim. Thanks
    I mostly fish the sinker rig with 80lb mono sometimes with a fluorocarbon leader tied with a four turn surgeons knot sometimes just mono. Sometimes 60lb. I use the Bob Sands because I k ow it. Double San Diego or similar braid to swivel or ring.
    Consider crimping over 100 lb

Last edited:

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
    Palmdale, CA
    Name
    Tomas
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Victory 207
    San Diego double jam knot is better than Palomar knot, but it takes long time to make it compared to Palomar.

Upvote 0