Fishfinder Recommendations For a RIB

PikeFiend

Dec 2, 2015
San Pedro
Name
Shel
Boat
Avon Searider SR4
Hey guys. I'm a freshwater fisherman now trying to figure out saltwater fishing. Mostly fished pike, muskie, walleye bass and trout in the Canadian prairies and then spent a year in vancouver chasing Salmon. Been here in California a few years and have been mostly spearfishing. Recently, my wife got certified for scuba, so we're doing that too. Fishing wise I've only been on the cattle boats a few times. Had a Cal 34 for two years, but didn't fish off it, even though I put in a new Raymarine e7D with an airman fishfinder transducer in it.

Now I've got a 14' RIB, and will use it for spearfishing and diving, but really want to start fishing again with rod and reel. It's able to cross the channel to Catalina, so anxious to try some fishing out there, as well as lots of coastal stuff out of San Pedro, PV, Malibu, SB, SD, Dana Point, etc.

I have an old greyscale dual band Hummingbird 717 with GPS puck, but it's pretty bad. It will mark kelp as fish doesn't seem good for much more than finding depth. Perhaps I just don't know how to use it.

I want to put in a new combo unit with good maps (I'm spoiled with how good the iNavx charts are) and more importantly, a really good sonar. I feel like having side scan would be hugely beneficial for diving, but not sure it's necessary. I think a really god down view would be better, and obviously think I need chirp.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on something for a RIB, especially one that is a pretty wet ride. I have a center console but no windshield to protect it. At the same time, I'm thinking perhaps I should spend a bit more and plan to take it with me when I move up to a big boat again. I'm at odds with what to do. Also, I feel like a smaller screen, but better quality imaging is better than the opposite, but not sure what to do there either. I really don't know shit about fish finders and very little about ocean fishing, so I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me. I'm trying to stay under a max of $700 but all the different options and frequencies are confusing as hell. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Lowrance Hds5 CHIRP can be had under $450 and the 7 under $700. I'd look at those, great value and easy to maneuver/upgrade.

Upvote 0

PikeFiend

Dec 2, 2015
San Pedro
Name
Shel
Boat
Avon Searider SR4
The HDS units are touchscreen only right? If so, I was told that when the screen gets wet, the touchscreen is hard to use. Not sure how true that is, but the screen will definitely get wet regularly. My hands are also wet pretty regular when operating the boat. I have a flooding hull, so when I stop or am going slow, the hulls fills with water and the boat sits really low in the water. Small waves splash over the bow. Any idea what maps? I've seen insight, Nav gold, Nav+, etc. Also, transducer? I'm guessing 200/50? West marine has this Elite Chirp unit on sale but it's 83/200: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowra...5-800khz-transducer-nav-cartography--15631583

Upvote 0

PikeFiend

Dec 2, 2015
San Pedro
Name
Shel
Boat
Avon Searider SR4
Answered my own question about the wet screen. I guess the west marine dude didn't know what he was talking about?

But from what I've read, the HDS5 and 7 Gen 2 don't have CHIRP. I haven't seen any Gen 3 units in the $700 range. They have an Elite CHIRP. Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0