Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Just saw this on their website....

Latest News

5-21-2020
Tim Ekstrom

An update from the front lines as the latest guidance from the bureaucracy indicates that we (Royal Star) will be green lighted to run in phase three of reopening. Phase two allowed retail businesses and restaurants to open today. There is a concerted effort by SAC and the San Diego City and County governments to move toward phase three on an accelerated schedule.

That said we are sadly relegated to sitting out Memorial Day weekend for the first time since I can remember longing for our shot at the massive quantities of Bluefin close to home. Rest assured that when the time comes we will get our shots. Meanwhile we ask Royal Star anglers on upcoming voyages to hang tough with us as we wait for good news. We will honor each scheduled voyage as long as possible only cancelling when we must.

If/when we do cancel voyages Royal Star will provide 100 percent refunds to those anglers displaced. Anglers may also choose to forward their deposits to any future Royal Star voyage. The new, Summer/Fall 2021 schedule will soon be posted on line for those interested.

On a final note we are keenly aware of concerns that some have expressed regarding angler safety once on board Royal Star. We have established policies to address these concerns to the best of our ability. While there is no way to eliminate risk in any activity we are very hopeful that a reasonable, easily administered, rapid test for the Covid-19 virus will become available in the near future. This would be a “silver bullet” allowing everyone on board the ability to make their voyage relatively free of concern.

Until then however we will proceed with our schedule guided by common sense, knowledge, and shared responsibility. There are plenty of fish out there. We are ready to get ‘em! Enjoy today’s image courtesy of David Itano.

fyermn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
This is my Speculation only----I believe on a lot, if not most, of the Long Range trips will have very limited loads to help with distancing. I can see only one person in a stateroom, instead of 2 or 3, which means that some passengers, who have already paid for the trips will not be going. I believe this will be on ALL the boats until this virus thing settles down latter this year or next year, and prices will reflect this reduced passenger load. It is the world we now live in. Like I said in the first sentence---This is my Speculation only.

Reactions: Goldenglory18

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
I think a lot of people do not understand that SAC has already submitted their recommendations on how to operate and that is how they are grouped in Phase 3. It has been reviewed/adjusted and submitted. The boats know what to expect and are planning for the changes. The biggest win for long range boats will be "common household" or "related party" groups because they can obviously stay together. Everything is a "recommendation" and "when allowable", if someone expects to be 6' apart at all times then they just should not go out fishing. I would expect a 28 per boat to be down to 22/23 and prices will be adjusted but they are balancing fewer people, lower fuel costs, rising food costs, and a 2.5 mth shut down.

The reality is the boats are trying to accommodate a reasonable approach to get the boats out fishing safely it is not 100% and will not be 100% but guests will be more aware while on the boat. I really hope we don't end up with people complaining about someone entering their COVID bubble during a bait stop. One thing is certain, this virus has really turned everyone on each other, seeing it in the fishing community and shooting community. People need to plan to bring their own sleep stuff, a collapsible chair, and solid hat because we will not be able to cram in the galley so expect more deck time.

[email protected]

May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
Interesting considering virus cases continue to rise with no end in sight.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I think a lot of people do not understand that SAC has already submitted their recommendations on how to operate and that is how they are grouped in Phase 3. It has been reviewed/adjusted and submitted. The boats know what to expect and are planning for the changes. The biggest win for long range boats will be "common household" or "related party" groups because they can obviously stay together. Everything is a "recommendation" and "when allowable", if someone expects to be 6' apart at all times then they just should not go out fishing. I would expect a 28 per boat to be down to 22/23 and prices will be adjusted but they are balancing fewer people, lower fuel costs, rising food costs, and a 2.5 mth shut down.

The reality is the boats are trying to accommodate a reasonable approach to get the boats out fishing safely it is not 100% and will not be 100% but guests will be more aware while on the boat. I really hope we don't end up with people complaining about someone entering their COVID bubble during a bait stop. One thing is certain, this virus has really turned everyone on each other, seeing it in the fishing community and shooting community. People need to plan to bring their own sleep stuff, a collapsible chair, and solid hat because we will not be able to cram in the galley so expect more deck time.
[/QUOT Has anyone seen a copy of the SAC recommendations that was sent in for consideration? Also the boats did not lose 2.5 months (at least the long range boats and most of the the other overnight boats and the majority of boats figure a cost of $4.00-$4.50 a gallon for fuel when setting prices, they don't go what the current fuel prices are , unless it exceeds their figured cost of fuel at time of trip, then they hook you for a fuel surcharge at time of departure. The L.R boats are doing maintenance and the season doesn't typically start untill Memorial day. Your right on the increase of cost will increase with less passengers less passengers and the rising cost of fuel. That's a part of doing business. You either pay the new cost's or stay home. It's going to be different, That's for sure!!!

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
"I think a lot of people do not understand that SAC has already submitted their recommendations on how to operate and that is how they are grouped in Phase 3."

I'm one of those who do not understand SAC's recommendations. Do ALL sportboats have a membership with SAC? Are all sportboats in Phase 3? Why are the SF, SB and Ventura sportboats open for business?

I used to have a membership in SAC when they used to take individual members years (decades) ago. Seems like there used to be a more unified approach with fishermen and boat owners. Not sure anymore.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
"I think a lot of people do not understand that SAC has already submitted their recommendations on how to operate and that is how they are grouped in Phase 3."

I'm one of those who do not understand SAC's recommendations. Do ALL sportboats have a membership with SAC? Are all sportboats in Phase 3? Why are the SF, SB and Ventura sportboats open for business?

I used to have a membership in SAC when they used to take individual members years (decades) ago. Seems like there used to be a more unified approach with fishermen and boat owners. Not sure anymore.
I assume its by county?

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
State approval of the countys request to move phases based on the plan laid out

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now

This from the constitution on 976-tuna
They are 85x20
(The Constitution has been measured and qualifies for 26 anglers and the Poseidon is just behind with 25.)
I would imagine that the bigger the boat the better???