Fished the Cross Sunday with Curtis on Hanna

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fishnfool, Jul 30, 2007.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    Headed out of Shelter Island about 0930 Saturday night. Got bait and confirmed our decision to run to the Cross. Buddy boated with Saltdawg. Got to the spot just before grey, and dropped in the jigs. First jig strike around 0630...Albacore. One on jig, one on bait. Back on the troll and hit a paddy for a couple YT. They quit biting so we got back on the troll. We would repeat this pattern most of the day. Boxed that area all day with a stop now and then on our only paddy of the day. Ended up with 4 fat Albacore (28 to 35 pound), 5 YT...farmed a couple, (18 to 24 pounds), and the kicker fish was a small YFT, (app. 10#). We called in Scott, Progress 1, on a good early afternoon bite, and he picked up one or two Albies in the same area. We couldn't get Bill to come outside...he was to busy loading up on some nice YT on paddies a little inside of us.
    We called it a day, and headed in early. Boat cleaned, fished cleaned, on the trailer and headed home app. 1730. Probably could have scratched a few more if we stayed later but both of us needed to get home early. All of our fish were caught within five miles of where we got the first jig strike in the morning...quite a variety out there right now. Definitely not WFO but there are still a few Albies around if you get lucky. Don't think they will be for long if we continue this warming trend but looks, and sounds like the YFT, and Dodos are moving up. Also lots of YT, and some Dodos on the paddies reported from the fleet coming up the inside yesterday...not many willing to play yet but they are there. Two things I think...moon phase, and they are spawning. All of our YT were full of eggs yesterday. Hopefully they will bite better as the full moon fades later this week. The spawn could keep them busy for a couple weeks though.

Seas were flat with 10 to 15 knot breeze...a little popcorn once in a while but overall great day. All fish caught in 68 to 68.3 clean...blue water. Much warmer the closer we got to home. Heard a couple hookups on Marlin, and watched one from about a 1/4 mile away exploding on bait of some type. I think it may have been a school of small YFT like the one we caught. White water everywhere, and this thing would just surge right on the surface for 30 to 40 feet at a time. Pretty cool show. Saw a little Pod of Dolphin but they sunk out when we tried to get into them to troll, and that's about it. Hot jigs yesterday were the old standby Zuchini broomtail, and the hot one for me this season so far, a Star Lure Zuchini Knocker. The Channel Island Chovie Fish Trap tricked a couple YT into biting on the troll by of our Paddy du Jour.

Curtis has the pics so you will just have to wait for those. Good luck to anyone headed out. Go get some!

2. michael

michael Damn Bats !

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Ho
    Sounds like a great trip.

3. Az.monkey

Az.monkey Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    Which one ?
    Nice job boys !
    I thought I saw the " Gone Fishin " sign in the store window :D
    Glad you got out Kev, now Cooter post up dem pics :boobies:

4. FishStalker

FishStalker You're no daisy

Name:
    Charles aka "Ben"
    Boat:
    15' Tupperware Sloop
    Yep, most of our fish (especially the bigger ones) were loaded with milt or eggs.

5. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
    Good working with team Hanna again, It's been a while. :loverz:

6. Fischer

Fischer Team SlikFisch

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Very Nice!! They're out there if you work for them. Thanks for the report.

7. harryo

harryo harryo

Name:
    Harry Okuda
    Boat:
    sold
    WTG, Kevan & Curtis! Sea ya!
    harryo

8. nunyabizness1

nunyabizness1 BD Den Momma

Name:
    Nunya
    Boat:
    S. S. Minnow
    Nice to see that you got out there and had a great trip!

9. Crusty Rod

Crusty Rod Newbie

Name:
    captain
    Boat:
    25' Farallon - reel passion
    Nice, we had the same stuff on friday but no yt for us, how many sporties where there????

10. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    No Sporties at all. We drove right past them Saturday night. Actually didn't see another boat all day except for Scott when we called him in, and a few on the way in after we called it a day. It was like we had it all to ourselves out there yesterday.

11. byeye

byeye i love Ali

Name:
    Michael T
    Boat:
    How did you guys get along? Sounds like a nice enough day.

12. Captain Curt

Captain Curt Cooter

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
    Yes indeed...........another great day on the boat Hanna. The moon had the night all lit up and the stars were showing their sparkles. The ocean was calm and it was one on those nights you just love driving the boat. The other thing that had us pumped up was that we were heading to an area (the cross) that we were going to be doing some hunting since the numbers we had from the last couple of days ago had dried up. We love the hunt. When we got there in the morning it was drop dead gorgeous.

[​IMG]

And lucky bird was there to greet us.

[​IMG]

The zucchini broomtail got hit first thing in the morning. Something about Albie blood first thing in the morning that gives me wood.

[​IMG]

Then when we got on our way, we spotted a paddy and played with some tails. Here's Kevan with a nice one.

[​IMG]

After a few tails we boxed the area and swung back by the paddy and this little Yellowfin came out and bit the broomtail.

[​IMG]

I know...........I know, call us baby killers but I just got done eating some fresh Seared Ahi and well..................I got wood and a smile on my face.

Then we pointed the boat North East and got about 5 or 6 miles and got a few more albies. I got one on bait that was fun as hell. Picked up and ran home about 1 o'clock to get home at a decent hour. Great working with Saltydawg out there, the man sure knows how to buddy boat. Spread out and hunt. Nice talking with Scott (Progress 1) but we sure miss Malissa. Talked to Mark (Mstonefish) while were out there and he was back at the 9. Love it when the radio's reach out that far. Another great day on the water. Thanks Kevan. We missed Saluki, but he'll be back on Ol' Hanna next weekend. I hope we don't have any numbers again, cause I sure like the hunt. Oh yea............did I tell you we got to fish out there all by ourselves?

Curtis............

The boat Hanna............

13. Mark66

Mark66 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    27' Cat
    Cooter Temple?? :D

Way to go brother, keep setting the example. Glad you guys had fun out there and spilled some blood.

14. Orca

Orca シャチ, 鯱

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
    Bout time you figured out how to post Cooter.LOL

15. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Great job guys. Interesting how some guys go looking for fish and others go looking for other boats to fish around.

16. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Nice goin!

17. gernsey

gernsey [img]http://www.bloodydec

Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Channel Islands Ca.
    Name:
    Matt Gerns
    Boat:
    36' uniflite pilot"fresh one",21' anderson greenuogh "Liv alittle"
    The albatross is a great sign.Theres always something happening on Hanna.Nice job guys.

18. Bullring

Bullring The BIG KA-TUNA

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    23' Parker Bullring
    Thanx for the report guys.....Well Done

19. Josh D

Josh D Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh
    Boat: