1fishdude1

Almost A Member
Oct 8, 2008
San Diego
Name
fishdude
Boat
THE DUDE
I was there and got bit at 8:05 am on a big Mac - I had a Okuma 5CS Cortez with 65lb Power Pro and a top shot of 30lb floro and had no chance against the big home guard yellowtail. Fish took 150 yds of line in 60 seconds in 80 feet of water. I knew I was in trouble and put my thumb on the spool in an attempt to slow him down but snapped the line at the hook...Had wood there for just a bit..I have caught a few yellows at LJ over the years (biggest 43 lbs) and this thing was tougher then anything I have ever hooked there..

Shit if I did not know better, you picked my post before I even wrote it.
Outside 100 plus ft water, huge marks on the bottom, red crab metered in the middle, 60-80 ft, dropper loop. Picked up 3 times, first 2 snapped very quickly, under gunned. Switched too 65 braided, with 6ft 40lb floor, 1/0 circle.
BAM!!! pealing like i've never seen or felt. ALL the characteristic of Yellowtail, a F'N HUGE Yellowtail. Mind you I have caught my fair share of big fish of several different varieties. 30 minutes into fight and having to literally chase fish down by myself on my boat it snaps at the loop. [email protected]#$%^&*! Loop knot held everything, just snapped at loop that held hook, 40b flouro.
I'Ve never felt a Yellowtail feel so heavy and kick my ass like that.
Everything Assassin said happened to me 3 times, just could not stop fish.
The Dude

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

figbeetle

Feb 22, 2013
san diego/CA/USA
Name
mitch
Boat
180 Sunbird
Just to put things in perspective, I was there at 6 am and saw lots of kayaks and pbers with not a single observed hookup. Congrats to you guys catching some, but I would qualify as a slow morning.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Nice Biscuit Bill!!!
You look happy as can be on the boat in the second pic. What the fuck happened when you got home? (first pic) You late?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Very nice White. Congrats on the making the 50 lb club. My personal best WSB missed it by a half pound. Go figure. LOL

Funny how there are three other reports on your thread. People, why not just post up your own seperate report. LOL

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Correction, the title should read Fished La Jolla for the RIGHT bite..!!!

Congrats!!!

Upvote 0

Yellowtl_addict

Almost A Member
  • Mar 23, 2012
    Oceanside, California Us
    Name
    Sean Doyle
    Boat
    Seafox 248 Commander
    Shit if I did not know better, you picked my post before I even wrote it.
    Outside 100 plus ft water, huge marks on the bottom, red crab metered in the middle, 60-80 ft, dropper loop. Picked up 3 times, first 2 snapped very quickly, under gunned. Switched too 65 braided, with 6ft 40lb floor, 1/0 circle.
    BAM!!! pealing like i've never seen or felt. ALL the characteristic of Yellowtail, a F'N HUGE Yellowtail. Mind you I have caught my fair share of big fish of several different varieties. 30 minutes into fight and having to literally chase fish down by myself on my boat it snaps at the loop. [email protected]#$%^&*! Loop knot held everything, just snapped at loop that held hook, 40b flouro.
    I'Ve never felt a Yellowtail feel so heavy and kick my ass like that.
    Everything Assassin said happened to me 3 times, just could not stop fish.
    The Dude

Same deal here last Sunday in LJ... those fish are absolutely violent!! Sticking with the heavy guns next time around. Very nice Ghost!! Congrats!!

Upvote 0