Fished Bay of LA June 4th and 5th

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by eli672, Jun 8, 2017.

1. eli672

eli672 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ruben
    Boat:
    Bahia de Los Angeles fishing report for June 4th and 5th....

Drove down with some friends on Sunday, June 3rd for our annual yellowtail fishing trip. The plan was to fish Monday and Tuesday, back on Wed.

Road conditions:
    We drove down through Ensenada, down to El Rosario, then made the crossing east to the turn-off to BoLA.
    The road is in good condition with many improvements being made. The big problem with potholes was really noticeable half way through the crossing east. The road was tough with some really good size potholes making driving difficult at times. The conditions continued on and off all the way to BoLA. The bridge that had been washed off close to BoLA has been partially repaired. Drove through a few military check points and they were nothing but polite and courteous.

Fishing:
    Fished with "Poison" from Sammy Diaz pangas. We made bait fairly easily in the bay, with most macs being about 4-5" long. Once the bait tank was full we made the long run to the big island, just around the south end of Isla de la Guarda, where everyone was headed. Conditions were calm and it made the hour plus run fairly easily. Arriving to the fishing grounds we saw many bird schools crashing on bait. It was surreal to see so many bird schools crashing all at once in such a big span.
    We began fishing nose hooked baits but kept having issues with birds stealing the macs.
    Once we switched to butt hooking them our success rate greatly improved. The ticket- a lively bait.
    All morning consisted of run and gun fishing, chasing crashing birds and boiling fish. After landing a few fish on bait some of us started fishing heavy irons, blue and white Salas 6x jr, and began to catch them that way. As the morning got warmer and more and more boils were seen on the surface I switched to a surface iron and caught a few that way.
    We fished 40-60lb mono, they weren't shy, they hit everything!!!
    Most fish were in the 18-25lb. range... JP fish was 31lb.
    The cooler was full and the birds and boils shut off at around noon. We headed back in for fish cleaning and cold beers. Conditions were fine going in with minimal wind.

Weather:
    Weather was nice, it never got hotter than the low to mid 80's. The days we were there we never had an issue with the wind, it came up some in the afternoons but it was always flat calm every morning.

The story was pretty much the same for our second day except that we landed a nice grouper and some cabrilla on the iron which was a very nice treat.

Headed back early Wed. Road conditions were pretty much the same, dealt with some thick fog on the peaks of the crossing but it all cleared up nicely.

Pictures finally up. scroll down and check 'em out.

If you haven't been to Bahia de Los Angeles to fish the yellows there, you don't know what you're missing, it really is a sight to see.

IMG_7267.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    jsl, Willdoggy, Dogman619 and 15 others like this.
  2. Crzyboy180

Crzyboy180 Border Dad

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    18ft Klamath -sold
    Nice to no Veneno is still going
    Thanks for the report, sounds like you had an epic day
    Cant wait till next month...

3. eli672

Name:
    Ruben
    Boat:
    He is still razor sharp, aggressive as always.

4. brich4aday

brich4aday Member

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    28,baja,
    nice heading down next week

5. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    There's isn't anything better in my view casting for yellows on the boil sounds exciting great report

6. noslow64

noslow64 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    thanks for the report & I was there on memorial weekend. you went to the same place to fish as we did. I'm headed back down with my boat next weekend for 8 days. can't want & hope the yellows get bigger.

Willdoggy likes this.
  7. dweir

dweir Capitan sin Anzuelo

Name:
    Don Weir
    Boat:
    15' & 20' Bayrunners 'Zoo Boys'
    Great fishing eli672. We concur with the road conditions. KM 250 is a very rough stretch. We came down yesterday and saw little traffic and only one boat trailered north. Diesel and gas at El Rosario and here in the bay.

We are in the bay right now and went fishing this morning.
    Tide was very low so up at 4:30 to beach launch (we are north of Camp Jupiter Military Base) and on the water at 5:25.
    Worked Ralphs Reef, Calavera, backside of Smith, Coronadito, and headed back down to Calavera as we saw a few boats down there.
    The flats East and south of Calavera had birds here and there. Then the bird flights tightened up and the boils started. These were in the 12 to 20lb range.
    We caught 9 by 9:00 am and the west wind came up.
    Bayrunner Bill called us as we came in and heard the news so he launched from down the beach.
    He caught two but the wind made it serious rock and roll so he headed back in after 1 hour.in.
    We used blue and white TLC's. Several of the fish had small anchovies in their bellies so we guessed size right this time.
    We have until 06.25.2017 on the bay so we can get some work done on the house, and maybe some more fishing.

2of9.JPG

8. noslow64

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    I'm headed down with my boat on the 17th til 25th , staying at daggett's. you guys on 68 ?

9. Jose Caballero

Jose Caballero Member

Name:
    Jose Caballero
    Boat:
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    Thanks for the detailed report, fish on!

10. Tifoso

Tifoso Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Great report, Ruben. Thanks for sharing. :)

11. mafrancis66

mafrancis66 Member

Name:
    Mark Franics
    Boat:
    Sold it!
    Heading down tomorrow for 11 days and fishing with the Prietos's for 5 days. Thanks for the report. Haven't fished the south end of la guarda in a few years. That should be fun.

12. 1 Ola Mas

1 Ola Mas Well-Known "Member"

Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name:
    WoodEye
    Boat:
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Git em.

mafrancis66 and Willdoggy like this.
  13. oliver.solis

oliver.solis Shot Caller!

Name:
    Oliver
    Boat:
    Team Syndicate
    Nice Ruben! Sounds like you guys had a great getaway!

14. Tunalou

Tunalou Newbie

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    18' Klamath. NN
    Classic BOLA. Been going down for 30 years now and the place never disappoints. Heading down again the 20th of this month with my brother Lou and a 19' Klamath (Tin Can), Monitoring 68 usually (depending on the chatter) and staying at Los Vientos.
    Always willing to share info and a cold Cerveza.
    Salud!
    Rick

15. jimmyo

jimmyo Newbie

Name:
    jimmyo
    Boat:
    reinell
    We just barely arrived yesterday night . Please take heed to the warnings about the road and bring the extra bearings , spare tires and other parts... Out of 3 boats , 2 of the trailers had a problem. My whole tire and hub flew off and we never found the tire ( had to stop in the middle of the road as there was no place to get off for miles ) Both trailers were checked out before the trip. Especially bad the last 10 to 15 miles before the turn to bola.
    We are down here this week june11 to 17 . If anyone can bring down some parts from napa ( in case i am unable to get parts here in town) i would paypal the money from here . We are at villa bahia...
    The napa parts i need is a hub and an extra bearings ( brought 2 extra sets but am using both)
    Napa Hub
    Balkam PART #
    BK 7304451

Firs Bearings L44649 / L66149
    Internet is spotty here , my email if anyone can help is ( without spaces)
    J o l a s [email protected].... Thanks in advance.

I am new user , dont know how to post new topic from my phone...

16. noslow64

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    I emailed you.

17. Ted snellen

Ted snellen Member

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    Pinta
    I'll be down there on the 13th. Checked with Napa in Stanton said they had the part. Will let you know. Say hello to chava
    Ted

Tackleho619 likes this.
  18. Ted snellen

Ted snellen Member

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    Pinta
    Just picked up an extra hub with bearing for you. Will bring it on the 13

19. jimmyo

jimmyo Newbie

Name:
    jimmyo
    Boat:
    reinell
    Thats amazing ted. So grateful for your effort . Was very windy today. Launched boats about noon and when and played around a bit late afternoon , no yellows today , some bottom fish . Please be safe coming down .

20. eli672

Name:
    Ruben
    Boat:
    Pics finally up.

Ever heard of the "Rat Bastards"???

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    noslow64 likes this.