WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
IMG_0546.JPG
Launched at the QM on Saturday around 1.30 PM. Bought some macks from San Pedro bait co then headed to the north Shoe area. Wanted to look for yellowtail but it was windy and snotty, uncomfortable in the 17' Allison Christine (Whaler Montauk) so chose not to drive and search. Instead, we stopped on a few wrecks and reefs and had instant bites on bass and bottom critters using cut bait and plastics. Calicos, goats, rock fish. Pretty wide open but very fast drift so constant repositioning was necessary. All fish released for you grass eaters. Water temp was 68.

AT dusk we headed over to our lobster spot and dropped ten nets. Bait was a mixture of old sardines, macks, and miscellaneous carcasses. Pretty slow as we had four legals and about four shorts after three sets. So we decided to go explore a new area. When we got there, two sport boats were pounding the exact spot we wanted to try. As soon as one left, a private boat zoomed in and put his nets exactly where the sporty had been fishing. Too funny. We set up a distance away and then began pulling empty nets with unmolested bait intact. On the fifth net up came a 3 pounder, sweet! But the rest of the set was dry so we moved to a 50'-60' deep spot which sometimes produces for us. Only time for one set here, and they started coming up empty but the last two nets had a 4 pounder and legal clinging to the bait tubes for dear life. Ended up with 7 bugs. Done better, done worse.

Two bonehead boater sightings: At one point we were fishing a jetty corner while soaking our nets, and some jackhole and his three stooges comes 25 MPH barreling through the 35 foot opening between us and the wall? Fortunately no one was approaching from the other side of the wall or it could have been a disaster. I hope he is still alive and has not killed anyone yet - dude, take your road rage somewhere else. Later, we're sitting in plain view about 50 feet off a jetty just chilling and casting for sand bass while hoop soaking and along comes a small boat with a spotlight pointed at us. We immediately think DFW coming to check us. But he keeps coming straight at us going about 10 knots. Driver looks kinda deranged or demented with coke bottle glasses but he is looking straight ahead. Finally my brother yells and waves "hey what are you doing" and the guy veers off about 10 feet from us. ??? I asked sarcastically "are you guys ok?". One guy says "yeah he (the driver) needs glasses". I'm still not sure where his mind was but the driver was clearly hallucinating or dreaming of his new set of contacts when he ran us over.
7 lob.JPG

Good luck!!!

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Nice bugs you have there. There's plenty of dingaling PBs out there! Some of the LA breakwater crew seems a bit more clueless than most. Then add beer and weed... Glad you were alert and paying attention. It makes you wonder if the dingalings could find there way on foggy night. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Ah Spicoli. Flashing me back to high school days. I wonder what would happen if while hooping I order a pizza for delivery and give GPS coordinates instead of an address?

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
No sht, it really take good eyes for this crap.
Someone on the boat need to be able to see sht in the drk.
I went out with Yope on Sat. if was flat going and greasy coming back.
It was the perfect day for the tin boats except it was dark as hell.
We waked them. Its had to spot those traps out there at midnight!

Upvote 0