fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
I screwed up my left shoulder during football and am having surgery on March 18th. I will be in a sling for about 2 months or so and I dont want to be stuck on dry land the whole time... anyone have any ideas on how I could still fish?

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat Name
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat Name
n/a
Too bad on the shoulder. I don't think you'll be out that long if you religiously do your therapy. I've had both shoulders cut on and at about 2 months if you still take it easy you should be able to handle some light fishing. Oh, by the way, you think your shoulder hurt when you damaged it ? Wait till you wake up after the surgery ! lol You are going to know the meaning of the word PAIN ! Keep lots and lots of ice on it too.

Upvote 0

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat Name
17' Nitro
I had my right shoulder fixed for a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. I went back to work after just a week, but I'm a programmer. I didn't even attempt to ride a bike for several months. I don't know if you want to spend the money, with the possibility of harming the job you surgeon just did and having to go back through it. I know I wouldn't but...

I was out on a 5 day or longer trip one time and there was a guy on it that had broken one wrist and sprained the other while skateboarding. I think he had recovered for a month or so, but he was still using a harness and struggling.

Good luck

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I once cut my cast off to go on a 5 day on the RP but i was only a week or two from getting it off anyways,give it a little time to heal and then see how it feels.

Upvote 0

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat Name
Skiff
I'm in a sling from my third shoulder surgery on the same side. I'd wait till at least the 2 month mark and start trout fishing from there. +1 on the pain thing when you wake, you can ask if the docs will do a pain pump. It greatly improved the ability to sleep after and minimized swelling. I did some bass fishing at the three month mark after number two and was pretty sore after. Good luck!

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
Thanks for the advice guys. Its going to kill me if I am not able to fish yellowtail and tuna this summer... Looks like I will just have to take it slow and make sure I heal.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat Name
n/a
Also, plan on sleeping in a big comfortable chair sitting up with two pillows on top of your knees, and again, keep lots and lots of ice on it all the time, the pain will be minimal, we're just jackin ya. I did the continuous ice and hardly ever used pain meds. After you wake up and in the room, they might want to put a coolant pump and mat on it, it doesn't work worth a shit, just tell em you want bags of ice.

Upvote 0