Fish were "HIDDEN" - 30JUN09

mrkarn

Nov 23, 2006
Point Loma, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
207, Sea Hunt
Trolled Hidden Bank west, to north of the 1010 Trench, to the 390 for absolutely nothing! Trolled for 6 hours using almost every color in feathers, plugs, etc...you name it we through it out there for nothing. Saw one other boat and a possible tuna spotting plane all day and that was it...Should of took that as a hint, anyways? Had a goodtime with my cuz, uncle and family friend, but fish would have made it better...

Seas were 2-3, wind chopped washing machine style from all directions, reminded me of the Gulf, no bait anywhere, we stopped on a couple of paddies, saw a nice yellow that messed with us for about 20 minutes and then we rolled on...Wind needs to settle...Soon!

Lucky B

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 4, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Yellowfin 36’ / Cabo 48' FB
The fishing is very hit and miss right now. It seems as were in a transition mode right now.

Mighty Murray

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Name
Marty Morris
Boat
25' Parker with blood on the deck.
Ryan - it sounds like you went right instead of left. Apparently, there has been a decent bite above the Inner Bank. We'll see what happens today (Wed). Should pick up if the wind ever lies down. Marty

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
You guys did what I was going to do! Thanks for the report. It'll happen for ya!

Headshot

Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
at least you got out there and tried brother! From the info I've gotten, I was told that the seiners were out there scooping up everything and wiped out the whole school that everybody was getting their tuna from this past couple of weeks!
These guys are serious, they're making their living from the fishing grounds out there and the way the economy has hit them too, they'll hit everything that comes their way this year! Catfood is made from albacore tuna too!

sharkstew

Snipe Hunter
Nov 28, 2003
Encinitas
Name
Dave
Boat
Striper
I would have traded my day for yours. "No Fish" reports are just as important as WTFO reports.

Thanks...

mc08066

Jan 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Jimmy Greene
Boat
kayak
Headshot,
Your absolutely right. The seiners are working the school hard. We were around three different groups on a hugh school and these guys were working it hard last Wednesday. Three spotter planes, 2 heli's and you know the fish are screwed. They probably scooped up a 5 acre school of Albie/bluefins in 12 hours. That's just sick and very sad.
Jimmy

Roon

Harvester of Sorrow
Mar 4, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Reel Busy - My Pops' 25' Seafox
Thanks for the report. Better luck next time!

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
It was reported rough again today. Sporties seen working the area Marty Morris is talking about 31.38 to 31.41 117.10 - 117.14 Counts are very scratch. Wish this wind would come down!

Buoyweather is calling for wind all week. :(.

The Bluefin that are up north are pretty much mopped up or they headed out of the area yesterday. None seen today from anyone I talked to.

Marlin in the warm water on the ridge.

302,371,425,390. Don't waste your time! Nothing seen this week. Paddys empty!

When will this offshore season really start???

Last edited:

Spaslab

Are you a sick little monkey too?
May 11, 2008
Simi CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
"Gracie" Defiance 220 EX Admiral
Jason just summed up everything absolutely perfectly. I keep seeing people asking about where to go, what they are doing wrong...more people should read this post.

mrkarn

Nov 23, 2006
Point Loma, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
207, Sea Hunt
It was reported rough again today. Sporties seen working the area Marty Morris is talking about 31.38 to 31.41 117.10 - 117.14 Counts are very scratch. Wish this wind would come down!

Buoyweather is calling for wind all week. :(.

The Bluefin that are up north are pretty much mopped up or they headed out of the area yesterday. None seen today from anyone I talked to.

Marlin in the warm water on the ridge.

302,371,425,390. Don't waste your time! Nothing seen this week. Paddys empty!

When will this offshore season really start???
Spot on, I'm going to wait a couple more weeks before I head out again, try to keep it closer to home next time, hopefully the wind lays down...

BDXL

Jun 25, 2007
CORONA
Name
MATT
Boat
16'CRESTLINER,SUPERHAWK
Thanks again Ryan! My hands are still F'd up from holding on for my life on the ride back! We need to do it again, just maybe about 50 miles less!