Fish weather..

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
So, I usually use couple diff sites. One is a surf site. Been pretty accurate. This one I just found. Kinda watching it. I'm definitely new to understanding the weather. Most my many trips have been with buddies that's always picked the best days. Usually right. Been few days in many years it wasn't how they saw it. I see this Sunday according to this report as being a nice day out of oxnard to test run my boat and maybe bounce a jig. I'm seeing 4 to 6 mph winds most the day, gusts just about same, waves about few ft at 16 to 18ft per sec. I'll admit I don't know what's gd or bad looking at these. But common sense if I have any, still checking. That this would be a very fishable day if correct. Ambi right, wrong. What do you guys look for. I know some say the night before Is important and according to fish weather app it's about same with little stronger winds and gusts later in the day at 4pm.

Screenshot_20210324-200358.png

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    E2918FB7-2E60-4A61-AC3E-A82C1527893F.png

Looks like a small weather window. If there’s swell coming down, I go to the bottom on Ana and work up the back. On the way home from the gap is easier downhill.

Reactions: John Stidman

805mike

Feb 26, 2013
    Ventura Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Even if the local weather is nice... Always be aware of outer water winds. That’s what gives the inner waters that ”morning sickness” washing machine lump. Report can show 2 ft swell but if it’s from local wind in waters just outside the islands, then it can be miserable

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    So, how does Sunday look for a trial run out to anacapa island area and little rockfishing or just messing around for a day. The apps I use show about 6 to 7 mph winds with gusts about same and less than 2 ft swells at 18 secs. But that's on the fish weather app for Oxnard ca. Channel islands area. It seems they all show different weather. Hard to know which is most accurate. Just sony know, my primary fishing last 10 + years and 5 boats later has been mostly morrow bay area. I've gone out when boats came in cause of wind. I don't mind rough water and wind. We just usually roll with it and a parachute sock to slow the drift. This boat did gd with inboard in rough water and winds. Now with the outboard it sist just little under than previous, not that much. Just lower in the rear on taking off. I'll be going for rockfish opener and salmon opener in morrow psl area beginning of April. I need to test run the boat first.

Drew Stephens
    Drew Stephens
    How did you do? Pretty sure I heard you on the radio asking about a yellow fish you caught. We did pretty well, weather was awesome yesterday. We headed back around 11am.
    Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    So, how does Sunday look for a trial run out to anacapa island area and little rockfishing or just messing around for a day. The apps I use show about 6 to 7 mph winds with gusts about same and less than 2 ft swells at 18 secs. But that's on the fish weather app for Oxnard ca. Channel islands area. It seems they all show different weather. Hard to know which is most accurate. Just sony know, my primary fishing last 10 + years and 5 boats later has been mostly morrow bay area. I've gone out when boats came in cause of wind. I don't mind rough water and wind. We just usually roll with it and a parachute sock to slow the drift. This boat did gd with inboard in rough water and winds. Now with the outboard it sist just little under than previous, not that much. Just lower in the rear on taking off. I'll be going for rockfish opener and salmon opener in morrow psl area beginning of April. I need to test run the boat first.
    We caught bunch sand dabs, and that yellow fish was a whitefish. Yellow fins all thexway down it's back. We googled it. I couldn't find any structure. I was all over. Out by deep boats, shallow boats. No luck. I can slam all the big reds and lings u can want in morrow. Just new to that area.