Fish Vacumn sealer

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Johnny Hirn, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    This Christmas I am looking to buy my dad a Vacumn sealer to help preserve our fish longer in the freezer. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and what would be a good one to buy.
    Tight lines,
    Johnny

2. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    What is your budget? The VacMaster 215 is the ticket if you want to spend $700.

3. snaphappy

snaphappy Member

Name:
    dudley
    Boat:
    triton
    My latest Foodsaver is still going strong after nearly five years. Bags/rolls are readily available. I just don't get spending a ton of money on one.

4. Lundalakan

Lundalakan Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    Ditto on the food saver. Mine does a good job. The only drawback might be that if your sealing a large quantity you will need to let it cool down occasionally

5. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Yes, food saver is fine. Just get the thicker bags and cool down after every few sealing.

6. Andriy Proshchenko

Andriy Proshchenko Member

Name:
    Andriy
    Boat:
    none
    I am happy with my Weston Professional Advantage sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    I had foodsavers before and once you use the VacMaster you will get it. The difference is incredible. If you store a lot of fish, it pays for itself and keeps the fish fresher by sealing better. To each their own.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  8. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I think it all depends upon how much fish you are packaging, and how long you intend to keep it. I think for most recreational fisher folks, a food saver is adequate.

9. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Having had several food savers, then upgrading to the predecessor of the VP215, I can tell you that the VP215 is a head and shoulders better than any external (foodsaver type) vac packer. The big difference is that the VP215 is a chamber sealer. The bag, with its contents, goes into a chamber and all the air is removed from that chamber, then the bag is sealed. That approach allows even a bag of water to be sealed without spilling a drop and without getting the seal area of the bag wet so the seal is perfect.

That is a big consideration in packaging fish. With a foodsaver unit, it is a constant battle to avoid having fish juice getting squeezed into the sealing area. Conversely, that is just not a problem with a chamber type.

The VP215 pulls a much stronger vacuum and I believe the bags are better suited to long-term storage (I use 4 and 5 mil bags).

I liked my predecessor unit so much that I purchased a VP215 (even though my old one was working fine), and then bought a second VP215 for the boat.

The VP215 is a big heavy unit. You need to have a good place to keep it so that it can be easily used on a moment's notice.

The other downside is cost, but if you look at it as something you will use regularly for 10 years +, I think the cost is easily justified. So, my advice is if you will do a lot of vacuum packing (less than 10% of my packing is fish, but then again I don't catch many fish), and if you have a place to keep it for convenient use, and if you can afford it, the VP215 is the way to go.

bman440440 likes this.
  10. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
    I have a original food saver circa 1984 and it still works good... and as others have stated if your doing a lot of fish you do need to let the sealing element cool down but other than that its been a good unit.

11. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    After going through 4 or 5 food saver units during the past few years we finally bit the bullet and bought a VacMaster. The difference is night and day. The food saver units are like a cheap toy compared to the VacMaster. I have 3 food saver units that pump but won't seal and 2 units that will seal but not pump. I finally just got tired of screwing with them. The food saver units overheat all the time, they suck juice into the pump and stop working or something screws up and the sealer stops working. They are definitely not made to pack 200lbs or 300lbs of fish at one sitting. The VacMaster handles it with no problem at all.

12. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    foodsaver bags are pricey even if you buy the generic ones.Bags for the vacmaster are pennys apiece.Guys think nothing of buying a $800 rod and reel package but balk at investing that in something to preserve their catch o_O

Otis2527 likes this.
  13. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Thank you all for the input. I will consider everything you guys have said in my decision.
    Tight lines,
    Johnny

14. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    If you want to stay under $200, get a Foodsaver. I have two so we can get an assembly line going and not have to wait for one to cool down.

The chamber ones are awesome, but expensive.

One thing I would absolutely do is get one with the integrated roll holder and cutter, saves time making bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I used to have a Serv Vac Not the Camber one, and was ok but earlier
    this Year I Picked Up A Food Saver From Costco
    and it has worked Great so far , plus I Wrap each Filet with
    Saran Wrap , so I Don't have problem with any Juice's
    and if it Takes A Crap I Know Costco will Replace it, that's a Plus.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  16. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Like Bman, I loved my original FS. Don't care much for "this new fangled contraption" FS, but came about owning two! I started a thread sometime back and asked for input on problems I was having, thinking it was time to up-grade ($$). Although I still have plenty of rolls, I'll be doing what Walkerman suggested and get thicker bags.

17. Grayson

Grayson Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    26 Shamrock
    Weston Pro 2300 Stainless
    Great machine....has sealed hundreds of pounds of fish in the last ten years and never skipped a beat.

Andriy Proshchenko likes this.
  18. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Seems it all comes down to cost, available space but most importantly, intended use. I go rock fishing a couple of time a year, have my fish cut by the deckhands and use foodsaver when I get home. I go long range once a year and have 5 star process the fish. That is all I need.

19. 1steveT

1steveT Member

Name:
    Steve T.
    Boat:
    soon2B
    All of the comments on the VacMaster are spot on.
    The lodge we stay at up in Yakutat just bought one this year for the processing area.
    We have our own Food Sealers that we store up there and I have to tell you, I was blown away at how well the VacMaster works.
    We used it to seal all our fish this year (over 300lbs worth of fillets)