Siv

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
This one time, back in better fishing days..

I took some buddies fishing... It was a gamble that day, tuna or salmon. We heard the bite was good about 20 miles NW, but it was also predicted to be pretty flat water that day. Either way, there was a BBQ at the Walser's place later; I don't remember exactly why. At this point, I knew far less of you than I do know.

Someplace along the way, we decided to do the salmon thing. With that, My buddy Mark and I ended up staying at the Chateau Westport. He referred to it as the place like Hotel California. Pretty sure he never looked up the intent/meaning of that song, but no matter.. Other Buddy Tim, stayed at one of Westport's finest little holes. Chateau Westport is creepy and weird! Save that for another story!!!

I had launched the night before, which is a rarity for me. Something always goes wrong. Sure as shit, on of my downriggers refuses to operate the next morning. Plug issue, simple fix, off we go.

I was in contact with a buddy boat, and as per plans the night before, I followed him out and across the bar.. Well.. He runs a 28' Grady, and I was in my POS little 22' Sea Ray. We crossed at or near to max ebb.

It was like 4-5' that day, @ about 10 seconds, so I really didn't give it much thought. Holy shit, new lesson learned. Do not go toward the North Jetty, at max ebb, in a tiny boat, ever!! I white knuckled it over several 8', just barely cresting waves, over and over. Throttle hard up, kill it at the crest!! It only lasted for less than 100', but scared the shit out of me anyway!! As soon as we made it around the tip of the north jetty, it totally laid down, as it does every time, when the ocean allows. So off we went. My stomach was fucked from the bar crossing, and I stopped several times to shake off how tense/scared I was. Mark didn't seem bothered one way or the other; Tim sat at the back and slept for the next hour or so that we ran out.

We hit the fleet earlier than most (see stupid people only cross at max ebb!!) and did ok catching /releasing fish looking for the right ones. Tim was not OK. Tim was seasick. I had to do another DR repair with 300' of cable out. Fuck electronics and salt!!

Tim barfed again, and again. Tim dry-heaved again, then laid down. We were quite a ways out, and it it what it is! Come fishing, deal with it!

I'd fished with Tim more than once. We all get seasick, and sometimes it's worse than others. It get's me when I sleep poorly the night before fishing. I'd invited Tim along as I would anyone I thought could manage the trip. This was not his day!! Not at all.

Tim was as green as I've ever seen someone. Like actually green. I didn't know that was really a thing!!?? It was as ugly as you could imagine. Sit up. Heave. Sip water. Heave. Smoke (WTF Why??) Heave.

We ended up with three Nice Chinook that day and two decent clipped Coho. After the second Coho, Mark and I called mercy and headed in. Of course, Tim had sat up long enough to catch the biggest salmon of the day. Of course he did, or this wouldn't be much of story!!

Tim didn't make it to Paul's place later that day but was ok in the next few days, despite puking up blood that night. I made it there, and introduced myself to alot of guys I call friends now.

I never knew puking blood that was a thing, but I have seen it since! yowza!!

Tim passed of a massive heart attack at home last November, 2019.
He had moved with his wife Michelle back to his native area of Boston, and was continuing what he did here, rescue / tow boat captain for towboat US.

This was the last time I fished with Capt' Tim, as things worked out.

RIP Tim Tucker.
View attachment 1127407
Wow... just wow . Dude , what a story .

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
Sorry all, I Didn't Mean to kill this Thread!

Just needed to get that off my chest. So sad for his wife Michelle.
All the rest of you fuckers..
Be cognizant of your health!! we are getting old and weak! Just look at guys like Goat and Duck!!!LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Last edited:

ezlimitz

My biggest YFT caught in PV.
Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
www.writemyoffer.com
Name
Terry Dyer
Boat
Had a few but it's been a while.
I'll keep the stories going...........this is all true.

I had a boat "26 Regulator" in Venice LA. One day I'm way out in the middle of nowhere by myself about 300 yards of the port side of a drill ship. I had picked up a blackfin or two and decided to put a big chunk out. I think I was out of live bait but whatever. So after putting out a "quail sized" chunk I'm doing a little boat housekeeping and all of a sudden the 30W starts smoking. I jump on it and it really didn't take long to realize I had a big fish. Too big to not use the harness. I put the rod back in the rod holder, got the bucket harness on strapped and got the rod clipped in and settled down. I really don't recall how long it took to get the fish to the boat but here I am here in the Gulf of Mexico, by myself, with my own gear (vs charter), knots that I tied, and a plan that I devised.....I was pretty stoked. It was hot and I was sweating my ass off and the fish just kicked my ass. I finally had it at the side of the boat wondering...hmmmm now what?

After this exhausting battle I've got a YFT (Later weighed in at 148#) at the side of my boat. My rod is still in the harness and I'm trying to get the gaff (awkward)....I had to put the rod back in the holder. So I unclipped and removed the harness, then sink the gaff. Problem was the fish wasn't done. He hauls ass and once again the line rips off the 30. I grab the rod praying it all stays together. After a few short stokes I get the fish with gaff back at the boat.

Here the fun starts. I put the rod back in the holder and grab the gaff. I try and lift the fish but he got very heavy very fast. Clearly I wasn't going to be able to use the gaff and lift this fish over the side. I'm like..."Fuck". After a few attempts I theorized I could let the swell lift the fish. I grabbed him by the gill plates and lifted him as high as I could. As the boat leaned into the wave I was able to use the buoyancy to get a good part of the fish up against the top of the gunwale and when the boat leaned into the swell I lifted that fishes shoulders as high up on the gunwale as possible. When the swell started to lift the boat I pulled as hard as I could to keep the fish from falling back in the water. The swell lifted the starboard side and my fish came right up out of the water and with my pulling he came over the side. Super satisfying.

It felt really good to dock @ Cypress Marina and pull that fish up and see it weigh out @ 148#. The local guides are all very cool and better fisherman than I'll ever be..but that one day, I was the only guy at the fish cleaning station with a big fish.

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I grew up in Boise fishing the Boise river for trout and the ponds for bluegill and bass, we relocated when I was 10 to Quartzsite Arizona which offered little in the way of fishing but my Stepdad tried, we spent time on the Colorado river fishing catfish and a little trout fishing in Sedona on oak creek but nothing exciting, we went out to lake Alamo which was up 20 miles of chip seal road. Upon arriving a windstorm and thunderstorm changed the trip into helping secure boats. The storm stopped and it was now dark but warm. In the 20 miles of chip seal my dad and I killed around 10 rattlesnakes and we seen one that was pushing 7’ but with no gun and just a shovel we let it be. Fast forward to 91 my dad took a job in Skagit valley and following 8th grade graduation we were moved to Burlington 1 mile from the Skagit I rode my bike there daily with worms and quickly learned the cutthroat game. On my way home my neighbor stopped me and asked if I could mow his yard which of course needing money for bait I took the job. He noticed the tip of my trout rod sticking out of my backpack and said he fished nearly every afternoon, said I was welcome to go. I mowed the next day and once done we headed to the south fork of the nooksack off Saxon rd. Stopping at a hole below the hatchery I threw in a wedding ring spinner and a worm and my first cast I hooked the best fish I had felt since moving up. It started to jump and run upriver down river and after a 10 minute marathon my friend Ken helped me beach a 7# steelhead which was my first. It hooked me, catching mainly cutthroat most of the time and many dolly’s. He invited me to do a Cowlitz river trip about a year and a half after our first trip. I needed a new setup so I went to see Kelly Hawley at priced less sporting goods in Wooley where he gave me a discounted shimano 8’6 med and my first bait caster for 80 bucks. Getting to the Cowlitz late on friday night we were throwing Corky’s and yarn with long leaders. King after king mainly rea
Too this day I hate waders, having swam in them more than once. I'm clumsy at best!

I remember that store. (Not that I ever bought much there)

My fishing buddy Mark (see previous tale) introduced me to it many years back when the Skagit was less muddy and a reliable Coho go to....

Last edited:

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Best fishing story/memory would be when my wife (GF at the time) went deer hunting with me and during a mid day lunch break, we stopped and fished a spot on North River for Coho. My wife had her 7 foot, medium light Ugly Stik with Shimano Sedona Reel. Pink and Chrome Bluefox Spinner. I told her to cast to this pool and retrieve over and over..4th cast, rod doubled over and she was screaming. I couldn't believe it.. Sure as shit, 17lb buck chrome coho. Her first salmon. Beautiful moment! I'll try to find the picture.

Craziest fishing story for me was when I was working on a long liner in Westport. We were out for a 3 day, finalize the quota numbers and head in. Day 2 and we are rocking through the gear..Made it half way through the line when I stepped too close to the drum and the main line brushed against my grundens and the hook in line about to stop before the drum hooked through my rain gear and buried itself into my bicep. Total freak accident. Captain ended up giving me a tetnis shot on the back deck, clipped the barb with basically like a miniature pair of bolt cutters and we passed the hook through. Jesus Christ that was one of the worst pains I've ever felt. We cleaned it and patched up as best as possible. Headed home the next day about 400lbs (20-40 fish) short and saw the dr the next day. I ended up putting a tattoo over the scar to show the hook in a 3d image buring into my skin! Crazy days of fishing

Here's her Coho. Fall running, shallow water, cast a bluefox and bam! Fish for dinner!

Attachments

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
Chris you asked for the story to be told, so here it is but I’ve also waited almost a year to tell the second one. Let me start out by saying Chris has become a very good friend and could not ask for a finer human being to know and is always there for ya. However anyone who has spent more than four minutes with him knows Chris is slightly confident. So Chris comes down to Westport boat and brand new truck that he won’t stop bragging about it does everything except give him a hummer, it absolutely will not allow you to lock your keys in it, on stars amazing and so on. So we happen to get to feeling pretty brave at the pine. It’s mid to late afternoon and we decide that if we can get bait screw it we’re going out to get early jump on the tuna. Well Chris is feeling pretty cocky knowing we can’t get bait but we launch the boat and sure as shit the bait docks open. So we load up, some of us call our wives, some do not. So we go out spend a cold night on boat watch get up to a beautiful day, slaughter the tuna and head back in. Oceans perfect not a cloud in the sky. We get back to port get the tuna clean decide to get pizza for snack while cleaning. We are about done with fish, Chris pulls the boat and Parks it up next to Englunds old shop. All of a sudden out of nowhere the flood gates open and it is a terrential downpour and we all sprint to our vehicles. Chris goes to hop in and his eyes get huge........ what the fuck I locked my keys in my truck, I don’t even understand how this is possible they said it couldn’t happen. Hey no big deal, I’ll call onstar. So he calls onstar, sorry sir your service hasn’t been hooked up yet. The look on his face is beyond priceless as guys hop in my truck and into his boat to stay dry. Two hours later tow truck guy shows up and can’t get in. One of the guys comes up with this idea to bend a metal rod and hit the unlock button and last ditch Hail Mary it works. We are all soaken to the bone wet, fishpimp has no ass left his wife was ready to kill him for not calling, def quite a memory.

So now my favorite Chris story to date,
So I have some friends with a boat who have not tuna fished and want to try it, they will pay expenses but want to learn. So I call Chris up and say hey why don’t you come put out for a trip to have someone else experienced on deck. So two of the guys get seasick which I expected but they suck it up as they can and by mid afternoon they all quit. Chris and I are putting on a clinic we had a bait stop going that we literally used every Chovie left they were biting chunks, dead ones, it didn’t matter. So finally we have this boat so plugged we had to carc tuna on way back just to make them fit properly iced. Well the owner is driving while Chris and I are working and about an hour later I look at the screen and it says we have like two hours left and we are heading up Long Beach peninsula and I was thinking I knew we trolled but how the heLl did we make it so far south? Turns out the driver took wrong direction for an hour. So Chris and I are less than excited at this point, and as we get close to the bar my friends ask me to drive and I agree. So as we pull into the dock it’s a single engine boat which does not dock the same as my twin screw, so I’m lining up my approach getting close to the dock and all of a sudden I see these two guys eyes across the dock get gigantic. I didn’t know this but Chris trying to stop the boat jumps off and reaches for another guys hand to pull boat in and Chris goes flying backward off the backside of the dock into the water. Again couldn’t happen to a more humble human being who does no wrong. It pushes the boat out at this point I am laughing so hard I can’t see I don’t think I’ve ever had cried laughing this hard In my entire life and I’m trying to redock the boat and I can’t even function I’m laughing so hard. So finally get it docked and Chris just has this look like What just happened to me. So he goes up to his car, gets changed and has to call his wife and is atleast happy And bragging phone is still working. Five minutes later Chris comes back down hey I need you to get ahold of my wife somehow and let her know I’m on way home because now my phones dead so I get ahold of wife and all is good now. Thank you Chris for the good laugh I guess you just can’t leave the port without getting wet

Attachments

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
How I met Gary Grady226

Sammy hooker and I bought tickets to the stanwood eagles derby. We met early with plans to fish Columbia beach, about 4 miles from putting lines in the rpm’s on my I/o dropped and seconds later bang clang poof. Kicker on and back north we went. I posted up on this board the pictures and within a couple days I get a PM from Gary asking if I wanted to go halibut fishing on the opener as now I have no boat. Hell yeah, I get his number and we make plans to meet in laconner on the Thursday opener. I get up early and head to meet up when my phone rings, it’s Gary who is having truck issues and is suspecting a fuel pump and is broke down in Conway. I head to see if I can help but as I pulled in Gary asked if they could jump in and still go I said fuck yeah expecting the trip to be a bust. We transferred everything to my truck and off we went. Loaded the boat and off to the straights. Gary lands us in his drifting numbers and 2nd drift he gets a 35, we made another drift and a 30 goes in the box, getting to be 1 or so close to too much current and we double up 35 on one side 30 on the other. Short day of fishing but a limit none the less. I met many of the bloodydecks brotherhood from that moment on with opportunities to kill mass quantities of fish in Canada, Neah and lapush as well as getting to watch Mrs Grady 226 kill halibut and salmon. I think that was near 9 years ago. I’m sure #grady226 can add to this.

Tony Kiehle

Apr 30, 2018
Shoreline
Name
Tony
Boat
24 TJ Pilot
Freshwater bay a few years back my buddy and I are trolling the out side as not to get shot by the locals working the kelp beds. Not much action but watching them putting on a motor mooching clinic. You can only watch so many fish being caught without taking action. I was like fuck it rig up a herring there is a pretty good gap in the boats coming up I will swing in on your side and then dip back out.
We weren't down 30 seconds and he gets crushed I mean pegged and of course its frickin doing everything in its power to get as deep in the kelp as possible. I reel in ,trying to drive the boat the wind and tide wants to push my boat in the beds. I just laid my pole along the gunnel not realizing the spoon was just floating on the water. I look just in time to see my pole trying to leave the boat dam fish on.

By now we aren't the most poplar guys I net a small finned king that has to go back the net has a long ass handle and is in the boat but the little dude is still in the water all caught up in the net. He is yelling at me to net his fish well like a bunch of jack asses we never pulled the spare net out of course its hanging up on everything trying to get it out.

Bang net his fish keeper!

You know how you hear a sound in your boat that doesn't sound right? What is that metal on metal? just in time to watch that little shit head try to swim off with my net as the handle is running along the gunnel.

Grab it hammer down on the kicker to pull out of there.

We laughed so hard later that night

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Chris you asked for the story to be told, so here it is but I’ve also waited almost a year to tell the second one. Let me start out by saying Chris has become a very good friend and could not ask for a finer human being to know and is always there for ya. However anyone who has spent more than four minutes with him knows Chris is slightly confident. So Chris comes down to Westport boat and brand new truck that he won’t stop bragging about it does everything except give him a hummer, it absolutely will not allow you to lock your keys in it, on stars amazing and so on. So we happen to get to feeling pretty brave at the pine. It’s mid to late afternoon and we decide that if we can get bait screw it we’re going out to get early jump on the tuna. Well Chris is feeling pretty cocky knowing we can’t get bait but we launch the boat and sure as shit the bait docks open. So we load up, some of us call our wives, some do not. So we go out spend a cold night on boat watch get up to a beautiful day, slaughter the tuna and head back in. Oceans perfect not a cloud in the sky. We get back to port get the tuna clean decide to get pizza for snack while cleaning. We are about done with fish, Chris pulls the boat and Parks it up next to Englunds old shop. All of a sudden out of nowhere the flood gates open and it is a terrential downpour and we all sprint to our vehicles. Chris goes to hop in and his eyes get huge........ what the fuck I locked my keys in my truck, I don’t even understand how this is possible they said it couldn’t happen. Hey no big deal, I’ll call onstar. So he calls onstar, sorry sir your service hasn’t been hooked up yet. The look on his face is beyond priceless as guys hop in my truck and into his boat to stay dry. Two hours later tow truck guy shows up and can’t get in. One of the guys comes up with this idea to bend a metal rod and hit the unlock button and last ditch Hail Mary it works. We are all soaken to the bone wet, fishpimp has no ass left his wife was ready to kill him for not calling, def quite a memory.

So now my favorite Chris story to date,
So I have some friends with a boat who have not tuna fished and want to try it, they will pay expenses but want to learn. So I call Chris up and say hey why don’t you come put out for a trip to have someone else experienced on deck. So two of the guys get seasick which I expected but they suck it up as they can and by mid afternoon they all quit. Chris and I are putting on a clinic we had a bait stop going that we literally used every Chovie left they were biting chunks, dead ones, it didn’t matter. So finally we have this boat so plugged we had to carc tuna on way back just to make them fit properly iced. Well the owner is driving while Chris and I are working and about an hour later I look at the screen and it says we have like two hours left and we are heading up Long Beach peninsula and I was thinking I knew we trolled but how the heLl did we make it so far south? Turns out the driver took wrong direction for an hour. So Chris and I are less than excited at this point, and as we get close to the bar my friends ask me to drive and I agree. So as we pull into the dock it’s a single engine boat which does not dock the same as my twin screw, so I’m lining up my approach getting close to the dock and all of a sudden I see these two guys eyes across the dock get gigantic. I didn’t know this but Chris trying to stop the boat jumps off and reaches for another guys hand to pull boat in and Chris goes flying backward off the backside of the dock into the water. Again couldn’t happen to a more humble human being who does no wrong. It pushes the boat out at this point I am laughing so hard I can’t see I don’t think I’ve ever had cried laughing this hard In my entire life and I’m trying to redock the boat and I can’t even function I’m laughing so hard. So finally get it docked and Chris just has this look like What just happened to me. So he goes up to his car, gets changed and has to call his wife and is atleast happy And bragging phone is still working. Five minutes later Chris comes back down hey I need you to get ahold of my wife somehow and let her know I’m on way home because now my phones dead so I get ahold of wife and all is good now. Thank you Chris for the good laugh I guess you just can’t leave the port without getting wet
I said tell the truck key story!!!?? Lol

I lost my favorite sunglasses also and Ryan is do you have a magnet?? Do you have snorkeling gear??? Yeah in my fucking pocket fucker?! Lol.

On star actually was connected they just couldn’t make my truck open. The tow truck people were awesome and were not giving up. Ryan wasn’t leaving for nothing even when asked him to take my buddies home! Especially Kevin who was in deep
shit with his wife.....he forgot we would be out of cell range before thinking to tell her we are having a slumber party on the big blue!

Last edited:

Hotroddin

Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
I was catfishing one night at my home lake, hucking big chunks of sucker meat (16" suckers, chop off the head and the tail and cut what's left into 2 halves). Planned on fishing until 11pm since I had to work early the next day.

Almost 11pm, I'm getting ready to call it, when one of my rods goes off hard. At this spot, I usually have no idea what I have for the first 20-30 seconds. If it pulls down and away with a slow pull, it's a catfish, if it starts running sideways it's probably a wiper. This one was a wiper, and a big one at that (probably 10-12 pounds).

The fight didn't last long, but it was enough to wear the fish out, and when I went to release it, it wasn't looking like it was going to make it. I took off my boots, put my phone on the bank, and waded out a ways to give myself more depth to work on reviving it.

Spent the next hour in the dark, knee-deep in the lake, trying to get this beast of a fish to get going on it's own. Several times it would appear to be gaining strength, but when I'd try to release it, it would kick off a few feet and then float back up on its side. I really wanted to save such a great wiper, but alas, it was not to be.

Packed up the gear and headed to the launch. Only one other truck in the lot, and they were packing it in, as well. I'm not a fish eater, so I hollered to them "Hey, you guys want a fish I had to keep?" They replied in the affirmative, I'm sure they were expecting an 18" walleye or something. Needless to say, they freaked out when I gifted them with this big ass wiper. :D In hindsight, I should have had the dang thing mounted.

Rough morning at work the next day.

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Never heard of a Wiper and had to look it up. Heck of an effort to save the fish. Kudos on you!

How big of cats do you get into? My dad grew up catfishing and we would catfish when in Iowa for channel cats. Dunk some rubber deal into some orangish looking gunk and cast out into the river. Didn't get any huge ones, but was my dads favorite fish to eat before we moved to Wa and he tasted halibut.

Reactions: Hotroddin

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I was about 4-5 years old and me and my dad and brother were mootching Pillar Point in its hay day. I had watched my dad allegedly bonk several dog fish and throw them back. Well I though that was pretty cool so while we were moving spots I opened up the cooler with the perfectly brined herring, imitated bonking then, and then threw them over. When we arrived he noticed there was no brined bait and asked me where they went I said I bonked them. He looked back and saw a trail of seagulls. He was upset but understanding. It was that day I learned how to mootch a spoon.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
I was catfishing one night at my home lake, hucking big chunks of sucker meat (16" suckers, chop off the head and the tail and cut what's left into 2 halves). Planned on fishing until 11pm since I had to work early the next day.

Almost 11pm, I'm getting ready to call it, when one of my rods goes off hard. At this spot, I usually have no idea what I have for the first 20-30 seconds. If it pulls down and away with a slow pull, it's a catfish, if it starts running sideways it's probably a wiper. This one was a wiper, and a big one at that (probably 10-12 pounds).

The fight didn't last long, but it was enough to wear the fish out, and when I went to release it, it wasn't looking like it was going to make it. I took off my boots, put my phone on the bank, and waded out a ways to give myself more depth to work on reviving it.

Spent the next hour in the dark, knee-deep in the lake, trying to get this beast of a fish to get going on it's own. Several times it would appear to be gaining strength, but when I'd try to release it, it would kick off a few feet and then float back up on its side. I really wanted to save such a great wiper, but alas, it was not to be.

Packed up the gear and headed to the launch. Only one other truck in the lot, and they were packing it in, as well. I'm not a fish eater, so I hollered to them "Hey, you guys want a fish I had to keep?" They replied in the affirmative, I'm sure they were expecting an 18" walleye or something. Needless to say, they freaked out when I gifted them with this big ass wiper. :D In hindsight, I should have had the dang thing mounted.

Rough morning at work the next day.
Never heard of a wiper either. (White rock bass - striper hybrid for all us ignorant northwesterners)
Only time I ever catfished was in a small lake in Austria when I lived over there and all we ever caught all night multiple nights were a couple dinky little 12-16” catfish and some big ugly carp.
I thought my buddy was pulling my leg that the little lake had big fish in it.
The year after I left my buddy caught one over 100lbs/2meters out of the same little lake.
Would have never believed a fish that big could live in that muddy farm pond.

Reactions: Hotroddin

Hotroddin

Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
Never heard of a Wiper and had to look it up. Heck of an effort to save the fish. Kudos on you!

How big of cats do you get into? My dad grew up catfishing and we would catfish when in Iowa for channel cats. Dunk some rubber deal into some orangish looking gunk and cast out into the river. Didn't get any huge ones, but was my dads favorite fish to eat before we moved to Wa and he tasted halibut.
We really only get channel cats here in Colorado. Our state record is just over 43#. Once I figured out the two main "secrets", I've been able to get into 20-28# fish pretty regularly. Summer of 2013, I believe, I caught 400 pounds of cats in the 25# range. I've set a goal to break the 30# mark this summer with a pair of rods I just built.

Wiper are insane. Like I mentioned in my first post, you can't tell the difference between a 10 pound wiper and a 25 pound channel cat for the first 30-60 seconds. They're a strong, energetic species.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grady226

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
How I met Gary Grady226

Sammy hooker and I bought tickets to the stanwood eagles derby. We met early with plans to fish Columbia beach, about 4 miles from putting lines in the rpm’s on my I/o dropped and seconds later bang clang poof. Kicker on and back north we went. I posted up on this board the pictures and within a couple days I get a PM from Gary asking if I wanted to go halibut fishing on the opener as now I have no boat. Hell yeah, I get his number and we make plans to meet in laconner on the Thursday opener. I get up early and head to meet up when my phone rings, it’s Gary who is having truck issues and is suspecting a fuel pump and is broke down in Conway. I head to see if I can help but as I pulled in Gary asked if they could jump in and still go I said fuck yeah expecting the trip to be a bust. We transferred everything to my truck and off we went. Loaded the boat and off to the straights. Gary lands us in his drifting numbers and 2nd drift he gets a 35, we made another drift and a 30 goes in the box, getting to be 1 or so close to too much current and we double up 35 on one side 30 on the other. Short day of fishing but a limit none the less. I met many of the bloodydecks brotherhood from that moment on with opportunities to kill mass quantities of fish in Canada, Neah and lapush as well as getting to watch Mrs Grady 226 kill halibut and salmon. I think that was near 9 years ago. I’m sure #grady226 can add to this.
If I remember correctly because we got out later than planned we hit max ebb at Deception Pass and you asked if we still wanted to go.....Well hell yes.....We also stopped at a nice little Ling hole and got a keeper on live bait and lost a monster.

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
If I remember correctly because we got out later than planned we hit max ebb at Deception Pass and you asked if we still wanted to go.....Well hell yes.....We also stopped at a nice little Ling hole and got a keeper on live bait and lost a monster.
I do remember that. I almost became a Grady prick that day but figured I know enough of them already and am already a prick no matter what boat I’m in. North river prick, trophy prick, hewescraft prick, and so on. Don’t need a Grady for that