Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Well we can’t go so thought be fun to hear some fish tails!!

So picture it....it’s 1984 and we move from Moscow Idaho to Port Angeles Wa.

We were avid trout fishers and it’s now February and my dad and I are heading for first Steelhead trip on the Bogie.

I was spoiled by productive troutin in Idaho and my dad set expectations that guys go years not catching a Steelhead?!?! Fish of a thousand casts they say. As a 6th grader I was confused why we were even going??

Not knowing where to go, my dad stops first at the state park after Forks. He sets me up with a spin outfit rigged with a plastic cheater and pencil lead to drift fish.

I could never fish next to my dad. I always had to have my own spot. So I head upstream a hundred yards and take my first cast. First drift and I get hung up and lose my pencil lead!?! Dang it!! My dad is way down there!

I decide to pull out sum line and fly cast/flick my cheater out sum 15’ maybe. Cheater floating of course and this isn’t starting out to well.....then bammmm!!! Out of the water it shoots like a largemouth bass!!! Second cast ever Steelheading and I’m screaming at my dad that I got one!!!!!

My pops makes it just as I’m beaching my 7lber and seeing the most excited kid ever!!!

Needless to say Steelheading is one of my favorites and I still get the same thrill today!

Seeing if my dad can take a picture of the picture.

Love to hear others!

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
On the Nooksack 1990'ish...mid March...drove across a farmers land about 3 miles upstream of Lynden. Beautiful hole. About 65 degrees out/sunny/beautiful...water deep green..perfect. First cast corky/yarn, bam 12lb nate to the beach...killer fight...took me down about 50 yards. Safe release. Walk back up to original spot...2nd cast, bam! Same size fish, same killer fight...chase it down about 50 yards...12lb hatchery fish which dies. Walk back up to exact same spot. 3rd cast of the day I hook into an upper teens chrome bright hen that comes straight up out of the water about 3' (I see how big it is about crap my pants)....screams line to the other side of the river (about 40 yards wide). I'm stunned & out of breath....she come screaming porpoising across the top of the water all the way to about 10' of front of me (in breathtaking speed)....I'm reeling as fast as I can to keep up....she stops for a second & screams all the way back across the river in about 3 seconds...lightening speed....my adreline is so high I'm gonna burst....it stops for a second & runs back to the middle of the river...I catch up to it. It paused & she comes about 2' out of the water & with one swift jerk of the head literally spit the hook damn near back to my feet. Big splash & off she went. I fell back on the sand in a quivering mess & shook for 30 seconds thinking to myself, what the hell just happened. 3 minutes of the best orgasm on earth. Tried a couple more casts but literally exhausted....took my fish off the bank & off I went......

Attachments

• nooksack-river-flowing-at-8-feet-2018-05-19.gif
    nooksack-river-flowing-at-8-feet-2018-05-19.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
  • Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    Pops and I don't know shit about offshore fishing in 2004 when he was first building his retirement house outside of Kona. He built his own lures from Jim Rizutto's books and read some offshore info so we headed out but we were under-gunned. Hooked a big fish first trip on a blind strike and 5 hours later finally upped the drag enough to gain and bonked this ahi 30 minutes later. We switched off every 30 minutes but he informed me after "that he had the watch" :).

A great memory.
    tuna.JPG

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    I grew up in Boise fishing the Boise river for trout and the ponds for bluegill and bass, we relocated when I was 10 to Quartzsite Arizona which offered little in the way of fishing but my Stepdad tried, we spent time on the Colorado river fishing catfish and a little trout fishing in Sedona on oak creek but nothing exciting, we went out to lake Alamo which was up 20 miles of chip seal road. Upon arriving a windstorm and thunderstorm changed the trip into helping secure boats. The storm stopped and it was now dark but warm. In the 20 miles of chip seal my dad and I killed around 10 rattlesnakes and we seen one that was pushing 7’ but with no gun and just a shovel we let it be. Fast forward to 91 my dad took a job in Skagit valley and following 8th grade graduation we were moved to Burlington 1 mile from the Skagit I rode my bike there daily with worms and quickly learned the cutthroat game. On my way home my neighbor stopped me and asked if I could mow his yard which of course needing money for bait I took the job. He noticed the tip of my trout rod sticking out of my backpack and said he fished nearly every afternoon, said I was welcome to go. I mowed the next day and once done we headed to the south fork of the nooksack off Saxon rd. Stopping at a hole below the hatchery I threw in a wedding ring spinner and a worm and my first cast I hooked the best fish I had felt since moving up. It started to jump and run upriver down river and after a 10 minute marathon my friend Ken helped me beach a 7# steelhead which was my first. It hooked me, catching mainly cutthroat most of the time and many dolly’s. He invited me to do a Cowlitz river trip about a year and a half after our first trip. I needed a new setup so I went to see Kelly Hawley at priced less sporting goods in Wooley where he gave me a discounted shimano 8’6 med and my first bait caster for 80 bucks. Getting to the Cowlitz late on friday night we were throwing Corky’s and yarn with long leaders. King after king mainly ready to spawn with a slot limit allowing only retention of fish 26-30” if I remember correctly. Many to the bank but no keepers day one, same them day 2 and we stopped for lunch I headed down prior to Ken and as I walked thru the backwater to get onto the last piece of open beach I fell and filled my waders. After doing the walk of shame and getting my waders drained I casted out and first cast landed a 10# coho 2nd cast a clipped 8# steelhead and 3rd cast lead to a 58# king chrome bright which after 2 hours was in a net and weighed by WDFW who seen the crowd watching and pulled their boat in to see what was going out. The wardens kept the fish alive and released it after weighing and measuring it.

Upvote 0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    I grew up in Boise fishing the Boise river for trout and the ponds for bluegill and bass, we relocated when I was 10 to Quartzsite Arizona which offered little in the way of fishing but my Stepdad tried, we spent time on the Colorado river fishing catfish and a little trout fishing in Sedona on oak creek but nothing exciting, we went out to lake Alamo which was up 20 miles of chip seal road. Upon arriving a windstorm and thunderstorm changed the trip into helping secure boats. The storm stopped and it was now dark but warm. In the 20 miles of chip seal my dad and I killed around 10 rattlesnakes and we seen one that was pushing 7’ but with no gun and just a shovel we let it be. Fast forward to 91 my dad took a job in Skagit valley and following 8th grade graduation we were moved to Burlington 1 mile from the Skagit I rode my bike there daily with worms and quickly learned the cutthroat game. On my way home my neighbor stopped me and asked if I could mow his yard which of course needing money for bait I took the job. He noticed the tip of my trout rod sticking out of my backpack and said he fished nearly every afternoon, said I was welcome to go. I mowed the next day and once done we headed to the south fork of the nooksack off Saxon rd. Stopping at a hole below the hatchery I threw in a wedding ring spinner and a worm and my first cast I hooked the best fish I had felt since moving up. It started to jump and run upriver down river and after a 10 minute marathon my friend Ken helped me beach a 7# steelhead which was my first. It hooked me, catching mainly cutthroat most of the time and many dolly’s. He invited me to do a Cowlitz river trip about a year and a half after our first trip. I needed a new setup so I went to see Kelly Hawley at priced less sporting goods in Wooley where he gave me a discounted shimano 8’6 med and my first bait caster for 80 bucks. Getting to the Cowlitz late on friday night we were throwing Corky’s and yarn with long leaders. King after king mainly ready to spawn with a slot limit allowing only retention of fish 26-30” if I remember correctly. Many to the bank but no keepers day one, same them day 2 and we stopped for lunch I headed down prior to Ken and as I walked thru the backwater to get onto the last piece of open beach I fell and filled my waders. After doing the walk of shame and getting my waders drained I casted out and first cast landed a 10# coho 2nd cast a clipped 8# steelhead and 3rd cast lead to a 58# king chrome bright which after 2 hours was in a net and weighed by WDFW who seen the crowd watching and pulled their boat in to see what was going out. The wardens kept the fish alive and released it after weighing and measuring it.
    Now, that's a great story!

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    My wifes best fishing story is when I convinced her to take our 4 kids(3 3 year olds and 1 5 year old) fishing on Big Lake. As one might imagine it was a bit stressful keeping worms on and kids untangled. As I turned I saw one of my 3 year old sons casting a line with out a baited hook under my wife's supervision. I started to lecture her on her responsibility to get worms on hooks but before I finished my son hooked into a large perch. It was the only fish we caught that day.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    My wifes best fishing story is when I convinced her to take our 4 kids(3 3 year olds and 1 5 year old) fishing on Big Lake. As one might imagine it was a bit stressful keeping worms on and kids untangled. As I turned I saw one of my 3 year old sons casting a line with out a baited hook under my wife's supervision. I started to lecture her on her responsibility to get worms on hooks but before I finished my son hooked into a large perch. It was the only fish we caught that day.

3??? 3 year olds? Holy cow I thought I had my hands full!!

Upvote 0

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
    Jul 11, 2013
    Lynnwood,wa
    Name
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat
    doc holliday
    Great idea Chris ,

By a very young age I had already developed an insane love for fishing it’s what I wanted to do every waking moment. I still have pics of me under a year old out on the ocean on my grandpas commercial boat. So fast forward I’m 6 years old late afternoon on fish lake near lake wenatchee a place we went almost every weekend. No one else on the lake and getting kind of chilly. We are trolling and I had this brand new lure, a meps minnow I just knew would catch fish. So I let it out apparently too far and as we are trolling along I snag bottom, so of course dad has to stop the boat and get me un snagged and he yells at me no big surprise. So this time he says ok, don’t let it out nearly so far..... ok dad so I let it out and about two minutes later my rod is nearly ripped out of my poor little hands. My dad starts beating me with his rod, god dammit Ryan I told you not to let it out that far, and I’m arguing saying I didn’t and all of a sudden he realizes he stopped the boat and my rod is still going crazy. I never managed to see the fish but I did snag the eye out and was as big as my thumb nail. The owner of cove resort that day said man he would have loved seeing that fish but glad he didn’t because he knew it would have shattered his record.

Upvote 0

NW-Quackhead

Almost A Member
    May 5, 2014
    O-chin
    Name
    Mike Hancho
    Boat
    Defiance 290 Guadalupe
    Love it Doc!!! We all could run a series of stories on dads yelling at us!!!
    Westport when I was 18. I had just graduated and started an apprenticeship. Hadn’t even got my first paycheck yet. It was a June chinook opener and I backed my dads boat down and bumped him off. Went to park the truck/trailer and got out of the truck with it running to make sure I was in a good spot. Wind slams the door shut and truck locked. Keys in it, still running. Locksmith was 2.5hrs out. Holy smokes did I get my ass chewed. Went out after the truck got unlocked and had a good day.

Upvote 0

NW-Quackhead

Almost A Member
    May 5, 2014
    O-chin
    Name
    Mike Hancho
    Boat
    Defiance 290 Guadalupe
    Westport when I was 18. I had just graduated and started an apprenticeship. Hadn’t even got my first paycheck yet. It was a June chinook opener and I backed my dads boat down and bumped him off. Went to park the truck/trailer and got out of the truck with it running to make sure I was in a good spot. Wind slams the door shut and truck locked. Keys in it, still running. Locksmith was 2.5hrs out. Holy smokes did I get my ass chewed. Went out after the truck got unlocked and had a good day.
    I’ve got another dad story. This one was his bad...
    Neah Bay I was about 14 or 15 so it was ‘05 or ‘06. We were banging the bottom for big halibut in about 120fow. I hook up and it takes me a bit to even get it off the bottom. 30 min later I get it about half way to the boat, it takes me back down to the bottom. I fight it up to with 30 to 50 feet of the boat and my dad says “oh you got him now” tightens my drag and the fish goes to my another run. Doink-busted me off. Respect the old man too much to yell at him so I set the rod down and went to the Cuddy for a 10 minute cool off. He hasn’t touched my drag since.
    I hope he ain’t cruisin BD cause he’s going to slap the shit out of me for posting this 😂

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    Oh man Quack!!! I have a locked keys in truck in Westport story also! I will let Doc tell it...

A dad story......

Port Angeles 1987ish, black mouth fishing off A Frame on Ediz Hook all same trip....

First ass chewing: My dad mooched and I jigged and he got hung up. He handed me his rod and was going to power boat up to get back past it. Well...I tripped getting around motor cover(18’ I/O DC Larson) and rod gets wedged into cleat...my dad yelled to get it out and as quick as that rod snapped! That didn’t go well for me!!

Second chewing: My dad loves his knives. He HAD this Schrade folding filet knife with the wood handle. I would mix it up and mooch a little during the day. I would cut the herring head off and leave his knife on the gunnel. He told me not to do that because the movement of the water could send it in the drink. Well...next herring check I need a new one... and yep my dad was correct!!! That really didn’t go well for me.

Third and last: Tide change and starting to see nets out and good fishing will save my ass!!!! My dad served and spent time in Germany. While there he purchased a gold Seiko watch that he loved. Herring check and he has to use a knife he didn’t like(great!!)....well somehow the clasp of the watch came undone.....he cuts head off with his right hand and tosses the head with his left....... off goes that watch sailing into the Straights!!! It was in slow motion and even seemed to float for a moment.

Nets were now out everywhere!!! My dad rarely swore....with boats all around us he yells Fuck this!!!! Let’s get out of here before the fucking boat sinks!!! Not a word said rest of the day.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NW-Quackhead

Almost A Member
    May 5, 2014
    O-chin
    Name
    Mike Hancho
    Boat
    Defiance 290 Guadalupe
    Oh man Quack!!! I have a locked keys in truck in Westport story also! I will let Doc tell it...

A dad story......

Port Angeles 1987ish, black mouth fishing off A Frame on Ediz Hook...

First ass chewing: My dad mooched and I jigged and he got hung up. He handed me his rod and was going to power boat up to get back past it. Well...I tripped getting around motor cover(18’ I/O DC Larson) and rod gets wedged into cleat...my dad yelled to get it out and as quick as that rod snapped! That didn’t go well for me!!

Second chewing: My dad loves his knives. He HAD this Schrade folding filet knife with the wood handle. I would mix it up and mooch a little during the day. I would cut the herring head off and leave his knife on the gunnel. He told me not to do that because the movement of the water could send it in the drink. Well...next herring check I need a new one... and yep my dad was correct!!! That really didn’t go well for me.

Third and last: Tide change and starting to see nets out and good fishing will save my ass!!!! My dad served and spent time in Germany. While there he purchased a gold Seiko watch that he loved. Herring check and he has to use a knife he didn’t like(great!!)....well somehow the clasp of the watch came undone.....he cuts head off with his right hand and tosses the head with his left....... off goes that watch sailing into the Straights!!! It was in slow motion and even seemed to float for a moment.

Nets were now out everywhere!!! My dad rarely swore....with boats all around us he yells Fuck this!!!! Let’s get out of here before the fucking boat sinks!!! Not a word said rest of the day.
    Sounds like a rough day! Broken rods are the ultimate trigger for an angry dad. I broke the tip off a Loomis when I was about 7 years old. Got my ass chewed like I was a crab boat deckhand. Maybe that’s one thing that makes fishing with dads so important. Makes you learn how to take an ass chewing without taking it personally.

Reactions: FishPimpII
    Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Best fishing story/memory would be when my wife (GF at the time) went deer hunting with me and during a mid day lunch break, we stopped and fished a spot on North River for Coho. My wife had her 7 foot, medium light Ugly Stik with Shimano Sedona Reel. Pink and Chrome Bluefox Spinner. I told her to cast to this pool and retrieve over and over..4th cast, rod doubled over and she was screaming. I couldn't believe it.. Sure as shit, 17lb buck chrome coho. Her first salmon. Beautiful moment! I'll try to find the picture.

Craziest fishing story for me was when I was working on a long liner in Westport. We were out for a 3 day, finalize the quota numbers and head in. Day 2 and we are rocking through the gear..Made it half way through the line when I stepped too close to the drum and the main line brushed against my grundens and the hook in line about to stop before the drum hooked through my rain gear and buried itself into my bicep. Total freak accident. Captain ended up giving me a tetnis shot on the back deck, clipped the barb with basically like a miniature pair of bolt cutters and we passed the hook through. Jesus Christ that was one of the worst pains I've ever felt. We cleaned it and patched up as best as possible. Headed home the next day about 400lbs (20-40 fish) short and saw the dr the next day. I ended up putting a tattoo over the scar to show the hook in a 3d image buring into my skin! Crazy days of fishing

Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    So I move here in June 1988 from Colorado . Fished my whole life as I kid growing up in Massachusetts a did a lot of trout fishing in The Rockies. A few of the guys I worked with were good salmon fishermen and gave me a few pointers and showed me how to tie a mooching leader. My folks come out to visit in early July
    and me , my Dad and buddy decide to go fishing on the sound . The guys lent us some gear and we call to rent a boat at Norma beach. Get there at about 4 am and there are dudes running all over the place launching and heading out in the dark. We have no idea what we are doing but buy 5 dozen herring , they take our money, get us in a kicker and down the tracks we go. My old man says “ where should we fish “ and the guy yells back “ head for all the lights over there”. Possession looked like it was 20 miles away but off we go. We think WTF have we gotten into as it starts to rain .

Mooch around for 3-4 hours with nothing but dogfish and start having a few beers after the sun comes out. I drop to the bottom , rod bends over and I think another damn shark . But no..... this one starts to head up and out, way out, pulling hard. After a 30 min fight and total rookie moves with the net we get the below 28 pound King in the boat . Needless to say I was hooked. Totally jacked and started on my obsession with salmon fishing.
    We get home and I call the guy who lent me the gear and I ask him how he would suggest we clean a 28 pound King in my little apartment kitchen . He reacts by saying “ what the hell do you need to know for”.... what a day. Sorry about the pic. Old photos too fragile to scan.

Attachments

• 87AD13BC-E2CA-499D-ADE8-77ED5E160D4A.jpeg
      87AD13BC-E2CA-499D-ADE8-77ED5E160D4A.jpeg
      90.7 KB · Views: 78
    Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    As a little kid we took my dads glass-ply down to Buoy 10 for a few days of fishing. It’s Me, my dad, uncle, and cousin. We are fishing four pulls and catching nice size fish all morning. My uncle hadn’t landed my fish as he was too busy baiting our lines with fresh bait left and right. My uncle also decided to use some old school flourecenent pink powder stuff that turns the bait pink and makes everything slippery as hell. The stuff is super slippery and darn near impossible to get off. My uncles rod finally goes off, he goes to grab it with both hands caked up with goo. As he is gripping the rod with all his mite, the rod shoots out of his hand like a rocket and the fish tales off with all his gear. Lucky pole and all. We were all laughing for 20 minutes and everytime I think about can’t keep from laughing about it. I forever have the image in my head of his huge rod launching out of his hands like a rocket. We ended up with a few fish just shy of 30 pounds, but as usual it’s the one that got away.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Cool stories. While we all have had epic recent experiences I’m sure, sometimes it’s those early experiences that are seared the deepest.

One of my earliest fishing memories was with my grandfather. He had a sailboat in Muskegon Lake in Michigan. He Moored it in a slip that was just a man made channel off the lake. The marina consisted of about 15 slips on one side and a brushy bank on the other. I still remember fishing off the dock for spawning fall lake perch. There would be a swarm of fish that would hang under the dock and I would try to get the worm in front of the big one before a little one inhaled it. My grandfather would sit in the boat next to the dock listening to the radio quietly and helping unhook a few fish. He would then clean the fish, complain about the spines and then Dredge in flour and pan fry them.

He’s been dead for 15 years now but these are some of the good memories I have of him.

Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    Wow Siv!!! Love that story!!! What a fish. You guys had to be so jacked during that fight!
    Since it was my first time salmon fishing and literally the first salmon I ever hooked, I was not as nervous as I would have been 3 years later when I had hooked, and lost, some nice ones like we all have. 2 memories - my Dad saying about 4 times over my shoulder “ Jesus Christ that is a big fish “ and when we walked into the apartment, after stopping at a bar for a couple shots and beers , my girlfriend ( wife now ) and Mom both saying “ what, you guys went to Pike Place and bought a fish. “ Fun thread .

Reactions: Team Sency
    Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    As a little kid we took my dads glass-ply down to Buoy 10 for a few days of fishing. It’s Me, my dad, uncle, and cousin. We are fishing four pulls and catching nice size fish all morning. My uncle hadn’t landed my fish as he was too busy baiting our lines with fresh bait left and right. My uncle also decided to use some old school flourecenent pink powder stuff that turns the bait pink and makes everything slippery as hell. The stuff is super slippery and darn near impossible to get off. My uncles rod finally goes off, he goes to grab it with both hands caked up with goo. As he is gripping the rod with all his mite, the rod shoots out of his hand like a rocket and the fish tales off with all his gear. Lucky pole and all. We were all laughing for 20 minutes and everytime I think about can’t keep from laughing about it. I forever have the image in my head of his huge rod launching out of his hands like a rocket. We ended up with a few fish just shy of 30 pounds, but as usual it’s the one that got away.

Just had my kids read this and they couldn’t stop laughing!

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    This one time, back in better fishing days..

I took some buddies fishing... It was a gamble that day, tuna or salmon. We heard the bite was good about 20 miles NW, but it was also predicted to be pretty flat water that day. Either way, there was a BBQ at the Walser's place later; I don't remember exactly why. At this point, I knew far less of you than I do know.

Someplace along the way, we decided to do the salmon thing. With that, My buddy Mark and I ended up staying at the Chateau Westport. He referred to it as the place like Hotel California. Pretty sure he never looked up the intent/meaning of that song, but no matter.. Other Buddy Tim, stayed at one of Westport's finest little holes. Chateau Westport is creepy and weird! Save that for another story!!!

I had launched the night before, which is a rarity for me. Something always goes wrong. Sure as shit, on of my downriggers refuses to operate the next morning. Plug issue, simple fix, off we go.

I was in contact with a buddy boat, and as per plans the night before, I followed him out and across the bar.. Well.. He runs a 28' Grady, and I was in my POS little 22' Sea Ray. We crossed at or near to max ebb.

It was like 4-5' that day, @ about 10 seconds, so I really didn't give it much thought. Holy shit, new lesson learned. Do not go toward the North Jetty, at max ebb, in a tiny boat, ever!! I white knuckled it over several 8', just barely cresting waves, over and over. Throttle hard up, kill it at the crest!! It only lasted for less than 100', but scared the shit out of me anyway!! As soon as we made it around the tip of the north jetty, it totally laid down, as it does every time, when the ocean allows. So off we went. My stomach was fucked from the bar crossing, and I stopped several times to shake off how tense/scared I was. Mark didn't seem bothered one way or the other; Tim sat at the back and slept for the next hour or so that we ran out.

We hit the fleet earlier than most (see stupid people only cross at max ebb!!) and did ok catching /releasing fish looking for the right ones. Tim was not OK. Tim was seasick. I had to do another DR repair with 300' of cable out. I could feel both Mark and Tim's eyes, like lasers on me as I struggled to fix the shorted wires!! Really dude, all this way and bad connections? Really?

Fuck electronics and salt!!

Tim barfed again, and again. Tim dry-heaved again, then laid down. We were quite a ways out, and it it what it is! Come fishing, deal with it!

I'd fished with Tim more than once. We all get seasick, and sometimes it's worse than others. It get's me when I sleep poorly the night before fishing. I'd invited Tim along as I would anyone I thought could manage the trip. This was not his day!! Not at all.

Tim was as green as I've ever seen someone. Like actually green. I didn't know that was really a thing!!?? It was as ugly as you could imagine. Sit up. Heave. Sip water. Heave. Smoke (WTF Why??) Heave.

We ended up with three Nice Chinook that day and two decent clipped Coho. After the second Coho, Mark and I called mercy and headed in. Of course, Tim had sat up long enough to catch the biggest salmon of the day. Of course he did, or this wouldn't be much of story!!

Tim didn't make it to Paul's place later that day but was ok in the next few days, despite puking up blood that night. I made it there, and introduced myself to alot of guys I call friends now.

I never knew puking blood was a thing, but I have seen it once since! Yowza!!

Tim passed of a massive heart attack at home last November, 2019.
    He had moved with his wife Michelle back to his native area of Boston, and was continuing what he did here, rescue / tow boat captain for towboat US.

This was the last time I fished with Capt' Tim, as things worked out.

RIP Tim Tucker.
    IMG-0206.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0