Fish Regulations

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by the SLIDER, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Only rock fish is included in the rock fish limit.

2. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    You can anchor at Catalina without violating the rules. In fact, you can anchor right next to shore without violating the rules. You just cannot dock or use a mooring in the harbor.

3. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    How about a laminated printout with color fish ID on the back, current year regulations on the front (just the common SoCal fin-fish, rockies and pelagics).

I sense a BD Outdoor marketing opportunity here! (Your welcome Ali, Erik, Michelle, Jason). A $20.00 yearly member fee along with 113 trophy points gets you a print-out and t-shirt. Dang.

the SLIDER likes this.
  4. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Bocaccio limits have been eliminated in 2017.

"The California Fish and Game Commission approved changes to recreational groundfish regulations on December 7, 2016 to conform to changes in federal rules for 2017 and 2018. Changes included new season dates and fishing depths in some groundfish management areas, a lingcod bag limit decrease from 3 fish to 2 fish, a new sub-bag limit of 1 canary rockfish within the RCG Complex bag limit of 10 fish, elimination of the sub-bag limit for bocaccio, a black rockfish bag limit decrease from 5 fish to 3 fish within the RCG Complex bag limit of 10 fish, and allowing petrale sole and starry flounder to be retained year-round at all depths"

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/17CASW_LR2.pdf

5. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    The fish is not under the 10 fish RCG limit, but it does apply to the 20 finfish daily bag limit. The whitefish has similar restrictions. Sculpin are also similar, but the season dates are different than RCG fish.

The rules are clearly stated below. The RCG rules such as fish dates and depth applies in Southern California, and there are restrictions in Cowcod areas, but its not part of the RCG bag limit. The limit is 5 fish with 12 inch total length minimum size. In the fillet section, the fish has size limit but no fillet size requirement, so therefore, you can't fillet the fish.

Barracuda only has size limit but no sub-limit on species. That is why I put in the daily bag limit of 20 since its considered as finfish. They might had restriction of same species (10) in the past, but that limit is not on the current regs.

The "RCG Complex fish" are defined in 1.91 subsection B. That same section defines which species are considered as "rockfish" in the "Sebastes" genus. Sculpin and sheephead are not in that genus.

"1.91. Federal Groundfish and Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenling (RCG) Complex.
    (b) “RCG Complex” means all species of rockfish (Sebastes), cabezon (Scorpaenichthys marmoratus), and kelp and rock greenlings (genus Hexagrammos)."

"28.26. California Sheephead.
    (a) Open areas, seasons, and depth constraints: See Section 27.20 through Section 27.50 for definitions, special closure areas, and exceptions. Take and possession is authorized as follows:
    (1) Northern Groundfish Management Area: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.25.
    (2) Mendocino Groundfish Management Area: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.30.
    (3) San Francisco Groundfish Management Area: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.35.
    (4) Central Groundfish Management Area: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.40.
    (5) Southern Groundfish Management Area: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.45.
    (6) Cowcod Conservation Areas: Open and closed dates and depth constraints as defined by Section 27.50.

(b) Limit: Five. (c) Minimum size: 12 inches total length.

(d) Fishing rules for California sheephead may be changed during the year or in-season by the department under the authority of subsection 27.20(e) or Section 52.10. See subsection 27.20(f) for additional information."

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/17CASW_LR2.pdf

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    the SLIDER likes this.
  6. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    There's a lot of special rules for bottom fishing. For example, you can only use two hooks for rock fish, lingcod, etc. The party boats will teach you this. What they don't teach you is that you can fish for sculpin, white fish, and sheep head with more than two hooks. But don't ever get caught with rock fish when doing that, because then you'd be violating the law.

Also, the fish cutting rules are so complicated that I don't even bother to cut fish on the boat. It's just not worth remembering all the changes.

the SLIDER likes this.
  7. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    The problem is that its hard for you to prove that you're targeting a specific species so its easier to just limit the customers to using only 2 hooks on the cattle boat. If you are on your own boat, you have flexibilty to use more hooks as long as you're not violating the laws. Unless you know an area is only sand dabs, I always fish with 2 hooks if there is a rockfish around. I also use a descending device for rockfish. Sanddab fishing is not limited by the 360 ft rule and the daily 20 finfish limit does not apply. It is legal to fish sanddab with as many hooks as you can handle. Just make sure the area you fish are only sand dabs and no rockfish and you're okay. However, if you're targeting both rockfish and other species, its best not to have a setup with lots of hooks. It may be harder to prove that you only used that setup on the sanddabs. If you plan to use lots of hooks and fish deeper than 360 feet, its best to only have sanddabs in your fish hold and no rockfish (even if it was caught in legal area with 2 hooks). I think its just common sense.

I listed all the fish that requires 2 hooks on my cheat sheet and also the fillet rules. Some require a patch of skin or the whole skin some fillets require the pieces to be connected (ie: halibut).

the SLIDER likes this.
  8. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats

Can you even gut tuna now? Don't you have to save the livers? Or is that just if loining out?

9. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    You can always gut fish as long as it meet the legal size. You have to be careful if the fish meet size requirement base on weight (ie: bonito > 5 lbs). After you gut it, it might be below the weight. With Bonito, all fillets are considered as undersized fish. If you're only meeting based on weight, the fish needs to be well above 5 lbs after you gut it if you have more than 5 fish.

"
    28.32. Pacific Bonito.
    (a) Limit: Ten.
    (b) Minimum size: Twenty-four inches fork
    length or five pounds except that: Five fish
    less than twenty-four inches fork length or
    weighing or less than less than five pounds may be taken
    and possessed.
    "

As for the fillet requirements, the rules per section 27.65 are as defined below. If you don't understand the requirement then its best to just bleed and gut it and bring it back whole.

"(11) For all species of tuna filleted on any
    boat or brought ashore as fillets south of
    a line running due west true from Point
    Conception, Santa Barbara County (34°
    27’ N. lat.) each fish must be individually
    bagged as follows:
    (A) The bag must be marked with the
    species’ common name.
    (B) The fish must be cut into six pieces
    with all skin attached. These pieces
    are the four loins, the collar removed
    as one piece with both pectoral fins
    attached and intact, and the belly
    fillet cut to include the vent and with
    both pelvic fins attached and intact."

[​IMG]

the SLIDER likes this.
  10. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    Right on thanks man. I thought for sure something about the livers was in there...

11. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Are you a lawyer or did you write this? I read the bible and get it. I read ANSI, TCNA and ASTM, no problem. This is much harder to discern.

12. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Not really. I've seen much worse documents (ie: Aviation FAA documents) where you have to be careful of the "SHALL", "MAY", "AND" and "OR" on every sentence. Engineering documents can be much worse. I've read some mil specs that make your head spin. This document can be tricky but its straightforward. The only catch is the regulations can change anytime and you have to keep up with any changes on supplemental documents.

the SLIDER likes this.
  13. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Therapist
    I couldn’t find the new limit on black seabass?

the SLIDER and monster1 like this.
  14. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    28.10. Giant (Black) Sea Bass.

(a) May not be taken off California. All fish taken
    incidental to other fishing activity shall be immediately
    returned to the water where taken.

(b) Limit: Two per angler per trip when fishing
    south of United States-Mexico border. A valid
    fishing permit or license from the Mexican
    government constitutes proof that fish were
    taken legally.

15. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Something people do not notice in the you can gut tuna thing. You can gut them as long as you do not cut the anus. The warden needs to be able to see the shape.

the SLIDER likes this.