Fish processing reccommendations

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by stonefly, Sep 25, 2018.

1. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    I find it odd that folks (and boats) are so close mouthed about giving a recommendation,

i don't know whether it's just that one is no better than the other or more likely folks are just looking not to repeat some shit storm situation from the past.

Not having any inside dope being in northern calif. i just went with the first stand i came to.

I asked the girl for the 1/2 dozen or so larger fish to be cut sushi loin and the rest in the round just gutted with head and tail off. (i enjoy cutting fish and to prepare the few skippys i took i would want to try "takaki" style sushi preparation.) do i even need a reason?

"well" she says we don't cut yellow tail sushi cut......ok then just 1# bags for them but i want it all deep frozen sushi grade.

About that time her co worker comes dragging fish by and overhearing what it was i wanted done with my fish pipes up that fish doesn't need to be deep frozen for sushi.

Well that is contrary to FDA requirements you will find online and not in keeping with the understanding i have with the sushi chef i take my catch to here in town sometimes but he had shuffled off by that time so the conversation went no further.

What i got for my $462.00 + $100 shipping to cut 70 pounds of fish was everything cut fillet in #1 bags some having a "sushi" sticker on them. (i did also get the collars and bellies i asked for)

So my recommendation?

When you get off the boat go past the beat up looking blond chick at the stand nearest the fishermans landing office and take your chances with one of the other 2, %50/50.

2. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    well, you could have looked up "services" with a given processor, or even better made a phone call to ask some questions before just walking up clueless with an agenda.

all 3 do a fine job, and I would have gone with whomever would have worked best with what I wanted. That said, I tend to use 5 Star due to their dockside service offering for the boat I ride.

Pays to figure shit out ahead of time. Enjoy your fish, and watch taking shots at folks you will see again if you like LR fishing, it's a small world after all.

3. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    5 Star has been my go to, though I don’t know about the cuts you specified. I e been with them since Sarah and the fam ran the show, and still like their quality.

DoubletroubleII and fishstomp like this.
  4. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Some people are just ornery, and by some people I mean you. Good day sir.

5. Killerskiff

Killerskiff The end is near

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Three to choose from and all good from what I heard of however; there was a lawsuit a few years ago so it's a sore subject. I've used Fishermen's processing every time and they've been excellent. Best of all they take reservations and process while you wait in a state of the art facility. If your on one of the boats out of Fishermen's Landing they'll unload your catch directly into to gaylords on the dock in ice cold water. Then they forklift it into a truck and it's ready in a few hours or less. The best part is they handle the fish with extreme care and you'll never have to touch the fish, lean management and well organized at its finest.

Unloading fish into carts and then dragging them to your cone and letting then sit on the pavement is a pain, and then fish somehow always seem to vanish, me thinks not. Forget the name of the gal who runs the outfit but she is most impressive in all aspects, hope I did not piss anyone off again.

jer dog likes this.
  6. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Sportsman or 5 Star.

Rabid Fish likes this.
  7. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    Yeah that's where i'm at on this for next time.

8. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft

Don't really see how "looking up" or making a phone call has any real advantage over the one to one conversation i had and eff a bunch of of your local squid threats.

clueless? agenda? please....it was a business transaction done face to face, i'm not satisfied and i'm saying so.
    But if you have some inside dope on how things roll at Fishermans landing go ahead and spill it,
    how does that work? do i need to watch my back now?

9. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I am/will continue my loyalty to 5star. I just got This years fish that I picked up from DIA and ate some yesterday. It was the best looking yet all these years. Love catching all the bluefin on a 6 day in the last 48 hours of the trip lol.

I'm not sure by reading the original post exactly what u wanted from whoever u used but I've found in life to keep things simple. One of these years however I might ask if t hr e will smoke my collars

20180924_161348.jpg

Ben yarbrough and Pgnracr like this.
  10. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I cut my own usually. But my fam from Illinois that go on our 16 day in January on RR3 they keep about 300# the rest donated to charity for s Nice tax duduction. They use 5 Star they tip a deckhand that picks the best quality fish to hand deliver to 5 Star. A nice tip always ensures this. The fish is processed and shipped to IL. Clip pennies and that is what you get. The product is exceptional all individual 8 ounce steaks kryo packed. In a nice freezer box. They eat as sushi. But most of those baby yft are too small for most req min size is 10 or even 20 lbs. some one day boats cut fish really nice. Much cheaper.

11. Capt Devo

Capt Devo Fish Hard

Name:
    Devo
    Boat:
    Trophy
    Where and when did you catch them.... how big where they.... what were the chewing on..... how was the weather..... how was the bait.....do you have any more killer pictures .....dude great report !!!

Bradleyjbush, wils and yellowfish26 like this.
  12. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    And were the bathrooms clean?

eric harner likes this.
  13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    "member" is looking for advice and hands out shit. :rofl:
    EXCELLENT!

yellowfish26 and jer dog like this.
  14. JustJim

JustJim Newbie

Name:
    Jim LaRue
    Boat:
    Tin Cup
    When I lived down there and had my own boat, I always cut my own. I went on a 5 day a couple weeks ago and used a processor for the first time, as I now have an 800 mile drive home. We made reservations at 5 Star. The fish were quickly put in chilled brine in big plastic gaylords at the dock and all the red meat was trimmed off when we got them back, vacuum sealed. They had our fish back very quickly and we were very happy with the finished product. I will definitely use them again.

15. Flynn5858

Flynn5858 Newbie

Name:
    Flynn5858
    Boat:
    None
    I just had a very bad experience with 5 Star. I am just 90 miles north of Point Loma, but we caught 360 lbs of yellowtail over 2 days, which is way too much for me to cut. So I brought it to 5 Star, with very explicit (written) instructions about how the fish should be prepared (all of it 1 lb bags frozen, half smoked) and where it should be sent....3 different addresses. They said it would be there in 4 days.

18 days later no fish. And when it did arrive, it was all smoked. And sent the wrong proportions to the wrong places. So basically got it completely wrong and over 2 weeks late. Very skeptical this was even my fish given the timing.

I used Point Loma before and they were great, except no shipping.....

16. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    Gutted with the head and tail cut off is pretty simple.

Ben yarbrough and Deep_blue like this.
  17. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    Seems like clipping pennies would have got me what i wanted.
    I drove,
    i had the ice chests (in case i got some of the varieties that don't freeze so well) i'm a good hand with a knife and actually kinda enjoy it.
    It's the shelling out $500+ for a deep freezing and a little convenience where i went wrong.

18. Hkrob

Hkrob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sold it
    I have yet to get my fish processed just curious what size your fish were and how many were processed? $500 is kinda scary

19. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    70lbs of fish and you paid $500! I got my fish processed at 5 star I paid $275 for my BFT and it was 165lbs mind you I paid extra for the thinker bags. 5 star did an awesome job. FYI, you really need to search the forum b/c this topic had been discussed multiple times.

20. mike82

mike82 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    a fish killing center console
    Sportsman's Seafood in mission bay is at the other end of the dock from Seaforth Sportfishing. I HIGHLY recommend them!!! They are awesome, friendly and accommodating. SUPER easy to work with and just downright awesome people. Talk to Manny. He's the processing manager.

Rabid Fish and fish&snow like this.