grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Happy New Year BD'ers - I nominate Maggie Joe, Cap't Mike Henessey and Nate for fish of the year w/their 1,200 lbs blue...way to go guys...

Special mention also for Pat for his 400 lbs solo blue on a 50....

tight lines,

MANAPUA MAN

May 10, 2009
HONOLULU HAWAII
Name
CAPPY
Boat
23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
Happy New Year BD'ers - I nominate Maggie Joe, Cap't Mike Henessey and Nate for fish of the year w/their 1,200 lbs blue...way to go guys...

Special mention also for Pat for his 400 lbs solo blue on a 50....

tight lines,

I'll second that......
It was the largest marlin I ever seen.:daman:
And a great job landing that monster.

Happy New Year...... Pray for fish Bum-by going get.

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
I think the fish Maggie Joe caught was huge for sure but it took 45 minutes to back down on it and sink the gaff in it. A solo marlin is a tremendous feet as I've also caught my 310LB Pacific Blue solo and only cause the sun,moon and stars were in alignment and that was a couple hours to finally secure that fish. What is the criteria? Biggest fish or best catch?

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I am open to both ideas...a solo marlin is a real feat - but, at least for me, size does still come into play...Butch at Hobbietat knows 2 guys w/solo granders...anyway, there are lots of great fish this year for sure and, hopefully this year for all of us too! :)

tight lines,

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
Perhaps a species "fish of the year" nominee.... That 1245lb the Maggie Joe caught was proof they still have great fish in our oceans... I think my buddies "Phil" 230lb Yellowfin Tuna he caught solo was my nominee for fish of the year...

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Scott,
I like your idea of fish of the year by Species.....
so..... Fishes Of The Year 2009

Marlin
Ahi
Ono
Mahimahi
Aku
Kawakawa

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
AHI ~ Phil (Gitrdone) 220lb Yellow Fin, solo trip... he had a write up about it already posted on BD with pics...

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
I am open to both ideas...a solo marlin is a real feat - but, at least for me, size does still come into play...Butch at Hobbietat knows 2 guys w/solo granders...anyway, there are lots of great fish this year for sure and, hopefully this year for all of us too! :)

tight lines,
AHI ~ Phil (Gitrdone) 220lb Yellow Fin, solo trip... he had a write up about it already posted on BD with pics...
Hey grander007, How about that idea of Species Fish of the Year and we can even go into sub-species for marlin/Ahi. So....:appl:Start sending in nominees for each catogory!

BloodyDecks Hawaii Species Fish of the Year 2009

Marlin - Pac. Blue - "Maggie Joe" - 1245lb.
- Black
- Stripe
- Spearfish - Capt. Scott Texada - 75lb.
- Sailfish
Ahi - Yellowfin Tuna - Phil Gitrdone - 220lb.
- Bigeye Tuna
Mahimahi - Davin Aki - 48.2 lbs. (Spearfishing)
Ono - Russ Kato - 75lbs.
Aku-

Last edited:

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
anybody else have any nominations??? with fishing kinda slow, it's nice to see what we did get this past year... here's my 75lb Shortnose Spearfish caught in Jan 09.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Not to toot my own horn but since there were not to many responses thus far I was going to submit my Ono catch for the Ono catagory. Caught along the Waianae coast near the Kahe Power Plant on the 40 fathom ledge on May 19th 2009, this Ono weighed 75lbs.

Attachments

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Damn Russ That thing is a dinosaur!!!! I second all the nominations so far. I got to see Maggie Joes marlin in person and that thing was a freak. I know Jeff Muir Got a beefy mahi this year I nominate that one for mahi. Hope he can post the pic and weight.

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
Not to toot my own horn but since there were not to many responses thus far I was going to submit my Ono catch for the Ono catagory. Caught along the Waianae coast near the Kahe Power Plant on the 40 fathom ledge on May 19th 2009, this Ono weighed 75lbs.

Hooo Russell, dat ting is a fricken LOG!!! Good going!
Like your T-shirt says "Chibariyo"

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
anybody else have any nominations??? with fishing kinda slow, it's nice to see what we did get this past year... here's my 75lb Shortnose Spearfish caught in Jan 09.
Damn Scott, That is one good sized Spearfish....biggest one I've seen so far! Great catch!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey BDer's,
So far this is what we have for the 2009 BloodyDecks Fishes of the Year. Still need more nominations for all catagories, especially Aku, Big eye Ahi, Stripe marlin. I know it wasn't the best of years but I'm sure there were some nice/notable catches of every species. I guess fishing is still slow and it would be nice to see some nice pics and nominations to take up the time until we get busy fishing again.

BloodyDecks Hawaii Fishes of the Year 2009

Marlin - Pac. Blue - "Maggie Joe" - 1245lb.
- Black
- Stripe
- Spearfish - Capt. Scott Texada - 75lb.
- Sailfish
Ahi - Yellowfin Tuna - JB - 245lb. gutted (probably 260 lb.before)
- Bigeye Tuna
Mahimahi - Davin Aki - 48.2 lbs. (Spearfishing)
Ono - Russ Kato - 75lbs.
Aku-

<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1>

J_B

Captain
Feb 8, 2010
Kilauea, HI
Name
JB
Boat
21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
I am new to BD so I don't have many pics up but here are a couple of my biggest Ahi of 2009. I caught these with just my girlfriend on the boat!

First picture was my boats first Ahi of 2009 and was 222lbs gutted.

I fought it to the boat in about 30 mins where my girlfriend (in the picture) gaffed it and then helped me boat it.

The second Ahi was my biggest of 2009 and weight 245 lbs gutted.

This fish was brought to the boat in 45 mins but was very difficult to boat. again my girlfriend was the only person that helped me. (She wasn't in the picture due to bruises from the fish/boat.)

p.s. I am 6'2 195lbs

--
Thanks,
JB

Attachments

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
welcome to BD HI - nice going on those huge ahis! what kind of lures were they on? hopefully the current bite will stay w/us for awhile and we can all post up some fish to restart this new year,

tight lines,

J_B

Captain
Feb 8, 2010
Kilauea, HI
Name
JB
Boat
21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
Hey whats up Grander007. I caught those fish on lures John "Bird" Miner made for me. I attached a picture below. Both these lures are replicas. I run the blue one deep off my outriggers and I run the other one of my short corner. Check out Fishing Lures, Trolling Tackle for Marlin, Ahi, Mahi-Mahi, Ono by Hawaiian Sea Lures if you wanna pick some of these beauties up. The rod in the top picture is a custom rod Bird made for me. He made all my rods and they are da bomb just like his lures.

--
JB

Attachments

Latest posts