Fish Lost - Line Broke - Yellowtail

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by doitnow, Sep 11, 2012.

1. TakeItEasy

TakeItEasy Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Sold
    Hi, I keep losing most of the fish that I hook-up because of line cuts.

On a 1.5 day trip at the tuna pens I used a 30 lb line, which broke 6 times. 2 of my fish went under the stern and broke the line. On 2 occasions, my knot broke. And for the other 2 times, my mono simply broke a few feet above the hook.

On a 3/4 day trip, my 25 lb line also broke 6 times. I did change my knot though, and I think that's why none of my knots broke on this trip. 2 of them broke when the fish went under the boat, and once, the captain accidentally cut my line. As for the other 3, I have no idea why my line broke.

How can I avoid having my line break?

Thanks in advance.

2. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    What kind of line are you using?......what knot are you tying?....

3. JWFogg

JWFogg Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    No boat
    Also, how old is your line and are you sure your drags are set right? Can't do much if the fish goes under to boat and the line rubs on the hull or prop.

4. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    when a fish dives under the boat put the rod up out and at an angle so that the rod tip is almost touching the water so that the line does not rub against the bottom of the boat. also use a reputable line manufacturer and a strong knot, i like the double san diego or san diego

5. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    100 lb spectra :rofl: I can almost guarantee you won't lose any :rofl:

6. boomboom213

boomboom213 Newbie

Name:
    hpppyo
    Boat:
    whatever
    always use fresh line, especially if you're gonna go on a exotics trip

7. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
  8. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Are you storing your mono line in a hot location? Heat will degrade mono line. It's also possible you got a bad spool of line.

9. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    In addition to the put better line on your reel andcheck, or have checked, your drag settings suggestions; You need to do a better job of moving around the boat so the fish doesn't get under the boat on you.
    Also, I wonder why your knots keep breaking. Crappy knots or I wonder if you have a box of hooks where the wire is bent around on the eye in such a way that it has a sharp edge and is cutting your line. If you've been having this happen out of the same box of hooks, throw them away.
    Sharks or other toothy fish biting you off?
    What did the deckhands say?

10. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Golf.......?

11. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Check your guides too for nicks or abrasions that might damage the line.

If none of the above replies/suggestions help...

: farmer : x2

j

12. MoMo Fish

MoMo Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brooklyn!
    Did you do what i did once this season after fighting a huge yellow for a bit and out of frustration and lock your reel all the way to full, that the line broke? grrrr stupid move but live and learn!

13. TakeItEasy

TakeItEasy Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Sold
    For the 25 lb mono, I used a year old Ande that has been stored in a cool box. For the 30 lb, I used the Berkley Trilene Big Game. I bought it a day before the trip at Charkbait. I was using the Palomar knot for the first trip, which I've been using successfully for 30 years. When I came home from the trip and showed a knot expert the way I was tying it, he said I was tying it wrong. Later, another expert recommended the San Diego, Sanders, Eyecrosser, and the Miller knots. I tested out the strength of each of these knots with the 25 lb Ande and I found that the Miller was the strongest so I chose to use that one for my second trip.

The reason why I don't know why the lines broke is because when my line broke, it was getting tangled with other people's lines. At home I tested to see if another Spectra line cut my mono, and I found that it is extremely hard to do. When it does break, it requires a lot of hard abrasion and the places where the lines break look as if they've been melted off. But on my trips, my lines were cleanly cut.

All my reels have carbonex washers and I took Alan Tani's advice and cleaned and repacked all the bearings. As for the drag, I used a digital scale and set the 30 lb line to 8 lb and the 25 lb lines to 7 lb. My reel doesn't have any jerking while dragging either; it is smooth. When my lines broke, the deckhands checked my drags and adjusted them 1-2 lb less and my lines still broke after that.

14. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")

x2
    Especially if it's a Graftech rod.

15. a238killfish

a238killfish killfish

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    24'wellcraft center console"that's my boy!"
    spend the money on good line,hooks and reel maintainance. fish under the boat,rod tip to the water.no angles,no tangles. always preset your drag prior to your first cast and always back it off and the end of the trip. moisten the not before tightening. hook it to something solid or use your pliers to tighten. always take the steps nessary to avoid dumping your fish. that feeling sucks.

16. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    Most breaks are three things , wrong drag settings (too tight), old line, and shitty line. Put fresh name brand line and have the crew check ur drag next time (better yet bring a spring scale) and set ur own drag at 25-30 percent

17. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    breaking at the fish? at the rod? in between?

18. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    Aside from using the fresh line from good manufacturers like you mentioned, there are many other potential variables:

• How the spools of line were stored before you bought them, as they can sometimes sit for a while before they are sold
    • How it was installed; if the line is guided on with a machine, any little burr on the guiding tool will nick the line
    • Any spots of corrosion or damage on the reel spool or guides; if you like to secure your tied hooks or jigs to the eyelets of your guides when not in use, stop doing that
    • Maybe somebody dropped a box of razor blades on your reel when you weren't looking
    • When you tie the palomar, the lines going through the hook need to be parallel all the way out, and the loop needs to sit on top of the knot when you cinch it down. If the lines cross going through the hook, it will cut itself.
    • Are you using leader that is getting damaged when you take it off the spool? manufacturers are starting to make packaging with built-in tensioners which can screw up the line on the way out
    • Does any of your gear smell like Saluki has been near it recently?
    • Are you cutting off abraded line and re-tying after every fish landed/fought?
    • Are you checking your drag before you go to bed? or in the morning on your way to the bait tank? The drag pressure can change if they are set the night before and sit out all night.

19. surfirb

surfirb Newbie

Name:
    Nathan
    Boat:
    Parker 2530
    lighten your drag when the fish is running remember that fishing offshore is different than fishing near kelp beds or rock reefs. I always tell guys on my boat that there is no hurry and nowhere for the fish to run and hide, you just have to tire him out, so take your time. Don't pull to hard as you will just pull the hook ,straighten the hook or break the line. pay close attention to your line and keep it tight to the fish without muscling it in. wait until the fish is coming toward you or tires out to get line in. Finesse
    This has helped 500% on my boat for what it is worth.
    Nate

20. BalloonBoy

BalloonBoy Shanny

Name:
    Balloon Boy
    Boat:
    Sold
    Well it's been said a few times...25% drag max! [if you only fish a couple times a year] Once you're used to the drag and landing fish...move up to 33%. Ande line is not good line. Spend a few bucks on good line! If your using mono...change yearly or when chafed. Also, make sure your reel is full of line. Less line on a reel increases the drag. Example: Full reel at max drag set at home. When half the line is in the water, you've doubled the drag and added water drag. Mono will absorb the shock, but if your pulling to hard or don't back off the lever drag...it will break. Stick with a San Diego knot. In addition check guides, etc... Good Luck and tight lines at the rail!