Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Does anyone know what this fish is? I got a ton of them for bait at the Newport bait barge.
IMG_20210925_173753671_HDR.jpg

Sidekick10

• Sep 2, 2016
    San diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Robalo 2120
    Pacific jack mackerel, some people call them spanish mackerel here in California, in japan they are called aji

Last edited:
    Sidekick10
    Sidekick10
    Upvote 0
    Rabid Fish
    Rabid Fish
    GENUS and SPECIES are not the same, "buddy." Always humorous when someone takes a snarky tone and makes a fool of themselves. Trachurus japonicus = aji, T. symmetricus = Pacific jack mackerel
    Upvote 0
    Sidekick10
    Sidekick10
    Mr. scientist aka buddy, I like how you know everything about fish identity, here’s a fishing tip for you, midshipman are great bait for fishing for big sharks in the bays, bullheads are great bait for striped bass and sturgeon in the delta, good luck out there!
    Upvote 0

Xylophone

Jun 30, 2018
    Descanso
    Name
    brett heckeroth
    Boat
    Outrage 20
    Spanish mackerel/jack mackerel/scad, they're actually a type of jack like a yellowtail. People think I'm crazy when I say so, but they make really good sashimi, and no I don't eat pacific mackerel. Like someone above said, they're really closely related to aji, which you will find in some of the sushi places in town.

Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
    May 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Ronnie Jones
    Boat
    Seaswirl 2901
    Well, whatever they were they were very hardy fish. I didn't have one die off in the two days in the tank. Calicos and barracuda loved them. Got a halibut on one too. They are really lively on the hook.

I think they were a herring. I hope the barge keeps getting them.

Xylophone

Jun 30, 2018
    Descanso
    Name
    brett heckeroth
    Boat
    Outrage 20
    Well, whatever they were they were very hardy fish. I didn't have one die off in the two days in the tank. Calicos and barracuda loved them. Got a halibut on one too. They are really lively on the hook.

I think they were a herring. I hope the barge keeps getting them.
    100% a pacific jack mackerel, they have a ton of different names, but taxonomically they are jacks and closely related to yellowtail. You can even spread their fins out and notice the resemblance to a yellowtail's dorsal fin. It checks out with what you're saying about how hardy they were too, jacks are almost universally really tough, scrappy fish.

Reactions: tbev and skrilla
    Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
    May 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Ronnie Jones
    Boat
    Seaswirl 2901
    100% a pacific jack mackerel, they have a ton of different names, but taxonomically they are jacks and closely related to yellowtail. You can even spread their fins out and notice the resemblance to a yellowtail's dorsal fin. It checks out with what you're saying about how hardy they were too, jacks are almost universally really tough, scrappy fish.
    You're totally right. They were great bait though.

Upvote 0