triton91

Almost A Member
Jul 11, 2006
Kaaawa
Name
John
Boat
23' Outrage
Ok, can't figure this one out, or I don't remember what it is.

Caught on bottom, dropper loop for YT.

put it back in water and it swam down no problem.

IMG_20151025_132833.jpg

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
senorita? use it for halibut. :D

I don't think so Wils. I have done a lot of diving, and never seen one that red, or red for that matter. Plus they typically like the kelpy areas.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Looks like it might be a Bleeding Wrasse. Another el Nino fish.

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/bleeding-wrasse/

Bleeding Wrasse
Bleeding Wrasse, Polylepion cruentum

The Bleeding Wrasse, Polylepion cruentum, whose common Spanish name is vieja sangradora, is a member of the Wrasse or Labridae Family, known collectively as doncellas, señoritas, and viejas in Mexico. Globally, there are only three species in the genus Polylepion, of which only one is found in Mexican waters, this species in the Pacific.

The Bleeding Wrasses have moderately elongated oval bodies that taper significantly toward the tail and have a depth that is 30 to 32% of standard length. They have an orange-red coloration with a golden-orange belly, a white chin, and a prominent wide silvery stripe along the center of their flank. They have two golden-orange bands that lead into and under their eyes and a third band that extends from the corner of their mouth. Their anal fin is transparent with a yellow band at the margin; their dorsal fin is orange-red with a dark blotch between the first and third spines; their pectoral fins are uniformly orange-red; and their pelvic fins are transparent. They have a pointed head with a large mouth and red eyes. Their dorsal fin has eleven spines and eleven rays and their anal fin has three spines and eleven or twelve rays.

The Bleeding Wrasses are a deep water species found on the bottom over rubble and isolated rocky reefs adjacent to sandy areas at depths between 430 and 775 feet. They reach a maximum length of 25 cm (10 inches) as established by a fish in our possession. They feed diurnally on small crustaceans, sea urchins, mollusks, and brittle stars. They have a limited and poorly documented range and are found along the extreme southern west coast of Baja and in the southern Sea of Cortez. An isolated population has also been located in Costa Rica. They are an exceedingly rare deep-water species and very little is known about their behavioral patterns.

The Bleeding Wrasse is an easy fish to identify due to its unique markings, thus it cannot be confused with any other species.

The Bleeding Wrasses are too small and too rare to be of interest to most.

Bleeding Wrasse, Initial Phase (IP) Female, Polylepion cruentum: Fish provided by the commercial fishermen of the greater Los Cabos area, Baja California Sur, November 2009. Length: 23 cm (9 inches). Note dark spot at top of tail base. Identification courtesy of Dr. Benjamin Victor (www.coralreeffish.com) and reconfirmed by H.J. Walker, Jr., Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA.

Bleeding Wrasse, Terminal Phase (TP) Male, Polylepion cruentum: Fish provided by the commercial fishermen of the greater Los Cabos area, Baja California Sur, November 2009. Length: 25 cm (10 inches). Identification courtesy of Dr. Benjamin Victor (www.coralreeffish.com) and reconfirmed by H.J. Walker, Jr., Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA.

Reactions: cabo jon
Upvote 0

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
baby bleeder wrasse....and i am hoping you caught in mexico or what the hell is it doing up here North without a valid passport

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
It is a "Rose Threadfin Bass"; where did you catch it?
Normally its in 100-150 feet of water near Guadalupe, Cedros, and the mid-Baja coast.

Reactions: nefarious235
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
never seen one that red, or red for that matter.

that thing is orange; not red. When I used to fish SMB, we called it a senorita fish and sent it back down for halibuts..... We caught them up at the CIs, too. you can call it whatever you want. :D

the little fin-things on the bottom of the SMB senorita fish drop down all angel-fish-like - one pair in the front. single in the back. Take a closer look

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Looks like some kind of taco fish :)

Reactions: strackle99
Upvote 0

ninj

ninj
Jan 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
John White
Boat
20' glasstron CC '77 sea fury
Thread fin bass. We've caught a couple on our skiff over the years. They are rare, the first one we caught took Scripps a week to identify.

Reactions: TOTW
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
It is a "Rose Threadfin Bass"; where did you catch it?
Normally its in 100-150 feet of water near Guadalupe, Cedros, and the mid-Baja coast.

Trust me, this is not a guess.
They are relatively common in central Baja, but pretty rare in CA waters.
There was even one living in the aquarium at Fisherman's Landing Tackle for awhile.

Upvote 0

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
Sweet looking fish!

Those sinkers look like a helicopter disaster in the making though...

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
A pretty good
Rose threadfin.JPG
shot of one I caught aboard the American Angler last year, and clearly shows how the species got its name.

Reactions: triton91
Upvote 0